It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archaeologists discover oldest-known fiber materials used by early humans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   

(PhysOrg.com) -- A team of archaeologists and paleobiologists has discovered flax fibers that are more than 34,000 years old, making them the oldest fibers known to have been used by humans. The fibers, discovered during systematic excavations in a cave in the Republic of Georgia, are described in this week's issue of Science.

The flax, which would have been collected from the wild and not farmed, could have been used to make linen and thread, the researchers say. The cloth and thread would then have been used to fashion garments for warmth, sew leather pieces, make cloths, or tie together packs that might have aided the mobility of our ancient ancestors from one camp to another.

PhysOrg Article

Another really interesting find, its amazing its possible for the fibers to have lasted 34,000 years and still be identifiable.

Another nail in the coffin of young earth creationism, not that it needed any more.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
LOL. This just completely debunks the christian theory that earth is only 6000 years old. Way to go archeology! WHOO!

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
This is quite interesting but i dont think that you people should be bashing christians and/or christianity as a religion. I am christian and I dont think that the Earth is only 6000 years old.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
i agree alotr of christians are happy to accept whenever god created hsi earth.

im not christian, but its more fundamentalists who stick to the literal bible geneaology of earth.

others dont care how god created it just that he did.

IMHO you should have just postedthe facts and let us drawour own conclusions.

personally im an ancienty astronoughtist! evolution started, some alien jerks tried to speed it up. played gods..

meh, we arent that far from doing it ourselves.

okamitengu

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by kingoftheworld

I never bashed Christianity, I specifically said young earth creationism. Seeing as it is the Bible's version of events, pointing out its clearly wrong when taken in literal form is not bashing at all.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I don't have a problem with the Earth being created 6000 years ago. Obviously, it was created aged. Not sure how this thread got into that, but I appreciate the finding of the fibers. Thanks to the OP. Perhaps we should start another thread for the age of the creation. You know, you can believe that the evidence says it is old, and still believe it is created 6000 years ago.

Heck, you see artists constantly making furniture or sculptures that appear realistic, as if ancient. What? You don't think God has the power to do that? Come on. If God can snap His fingers and make a universe, it is no problem for Him to make this planet appear aged so you have a choice to believe Him or not.

After all, this life is a test from God to see if you love Him or love others.

Where you stand can make a difference...

[edit on 10-9-2009 by Jim Scott]

new topics

top topics

join