It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"You Lie" Congressman Wilson Paid $250K by Health Care Industry

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Obama Speech (YOU LIE) Congressman Heckler PAID $250,000 by health care industry.

Here is the source: Joe Wilson Campaign and Finance moneys

The rampant cronyism and rascalism surrounding the health care debate has grown into a festering pile of injustice and unethical behavior.

The rich insurance companies and health care providers are STRONGLY against any public option or ANY health care reform which will "rock their boat" and take away their precious millions in bonuses.
Millions of dollars which have been unethically stolen from the average US citizen.

They will buy greedy and corrupt politicians like US Congressional Rep. Addison Graves “Joe” Wilson a Republican from South Carolina.
His website: joewilson.house.gov

Its all a big scam and these rich bastards will do anything to slow or stop this WELL OVERDUE reform of a disgusting healthcare system.

Healthcare is a STAPLE OF HUMANITY! Everyone needs it. Why would we do anything but have a broad "everyone gets covered" system? It just doesn’t make sense to me.

[edit on (9/11/09) by AllSeeingI]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by AllSeeingI

They need to kick that Congressman's xss, he is a low lying scum of the Earth person. Making $250,000 to say the President lies for some scum sucking company. The government needs to go in and bull doze that company into the ground for crap like that and make an example out of it.

Good find All Seeing I, and Thanks for reporting an injustice.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   

If that is true, and I am not stating the OP is incorrect, the source website, then the man should be fined twice what he received.

This is ludicrous that politician's will get paid to interrupt a man speaking, even if Obama's speech contained no credible content, intent, or facts whatsoever.

It is one thing to disagree with the man and speak out, it is another thing altogether to get paid to do it, which is political corruption being presented to the public.

After reading AshleyD's post, I am adding this, my feeling remains the same, however, if he was taking money from lobbyist groups, or from the industry, not necessarily to yell that out, it is still corruption of a sort.

[edit on 10-9-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
so what is new? This has been happening in american polictics since its been founded or have you americans forgot your own history?.....

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Your title is very misleading, and I would ask you change it to reflect the actual article's title, per ATS rules.

He was not "paid 250k" to say this. Over the course of his career, he has garnered 250k from the health industry. There is a HUGE flipping difference.

Way to skew the facts there.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   

If I had a million dollars, I would give it to him so he could call the president a liar 4 times.

Deny Ignorance.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   

'"You Lie" Congressman Wilson Paid $250K for His Outburst!'

That title is extremely misleading. Phrased like that, it sounds like he was paid $250K to do what he did when in reality, he has received over $250,000 in contributions from health professionals over the course of his career (not for this incident) as well as tens of thousands of dollars from others in the health industry:

In fact, over his entire congressional career, health professionals represent Wilson’s top industry contributors, donating a total of $244,196 to his campaign, according to the Center for Responsive Politics OpenSecrets.org database. He received another $86,150 from pharmaceutical companies, $73,050 from insurance companies and $68,000 from hospitals and nursing homes.

He was not paid $250,000 for his outburst. With all that said, this looks very bad for him. Over $400,000 in contributions from those in the health care field. Not good at all. It's very reasonable for us to believe his outburst had more to do with protecting his contributor's interests than it did outrage at the president's alleged lie.

[edit on 9/10/2009 by AshleyD]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
A lot of these guys care only about themselves. They do not have virtue. They should not even be in the legislature.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Agreed on both counts.

Perhaps the OP was using the title metaphorically and for effect.

I hear it's been done before (not by you of course)... but I may be wrong.

[edit on 10 Sep 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Respectfully disagree oh mighty mod. . .

He stated that when Obama stated that illegal folks would not be covered by the universal plan.

Not about any corporate issue.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by loner007
so what is new? This has been happening in american polictics since its been founded or have you americans forgot your own history?.....

What is new?! New people are born everyday. I myself didnt awaken to the injustices of the world until I was about 24 and each day I learn more. I write this story to awaken people until eventually enough people and/or the correct people will learn the knowledge.... and change the world.

Just because it happens often or has been happening for 100 years etc etc...
DOESNT MAKE IT RIGHT AND ETHICAL and it is still newsworthy. It MUST BE newsworthy.

We shouldn’t be desensitized to it. WE MUST NOT BE.
That is what they want: a jaded and unquestioning citizenry.
Dont become jaded.
FIGHT THE MALAISE!

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Also, the payment was from, "Healthcare Professionals," not "Insurance." Why would doctors care who pays them, as long as they get paid? Wouldn't this option provide them with more business, and more guaranteed revenue?

At first glance, it looks bad, but when you actually think about it, it doesn't really make that much sense in the light you're trying to put it in. It'd be bad if it was "Health Insurers" or "Insurance," but it's doctors.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   

"In the presidential race, as of Feb. 28, pharmaceutical and medical device companies have contributed $639,124 to Democratic candidate Sen. Barack Obama (Ill.) and $574,828 to Democratic candidate Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (N.Y.), compared with $168,300 for presumptive Republican nominee Sen. John McCain (Ariz.), according to reports filed with the Federal Election Commission."
-www.kaisernetwork.org...

so now this congressman who called him a liar has received $250k over his career of 8 years, which breaks down to an average of $31,250 per year...obama made 20 times that just for his one year of the presidential campaign...and that was just to feb 08, with 8 months left for donations

Lets look at the big picture instead of jumping on the bandwagon with the rest of the idiots.

edited for emphasis and clarification on date

[edit on 10-9-2009 by digger2381]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

I understand that, oh most precious member.

But you don't have to heckle at the moment most associated with your interests. Just heckle in general to place doubt and create outrage over the whole thing.

I don't know much about campaign contributions and how his statistics compare to others or how unusual his numbers are, but I will say this is suspicious.

Edit to add: What is going to outrage citizens more about the bill: Him heckling and bringing attention to how it will hurt the corporate fat cats or him heckling and bringing attention to illegal aliens getting American benefits?

I think most of us are tired about caring about the corporate fat cats but we are sick of tax funs going to illegal aliens. So he attacks that and it will make a lot of citizens angry at the bill as a whole.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
ASHLEY D:
"He was not paid $250,000 for his outburst. With all that said, this looks very bad for him. Over $400,000 in contributions from those in the health care field. Not good at all. It's very reasonable for us to believe his outburst had more to do with protecting his contributor's interests than it did outrage at the president's alleged lie."
-

I dont see any difference between protecting his contributors interests and what he did with his outburst.

So YES he was paid to say "YOU LIE"

This man received more moneys from Health Care industry rich fat cats then ANY other industry in his lifetime AND in the most recent time period.

If he received NO moneys from these people... I Guarantee he would NEVER have made such a statement.

Money comes in.... "You Lie" comes out.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

How does this look bad for him?
He has made 1/48th what Obama did from the same group, and Congressman Wilson has served 8 years as opposed to Obama's 5.

Per the same source, Obama received $12,075,383 as the junior senator from Illinois.

Source

So if we work it out, Senator Obama made $2,415,076.60 per year as opposed to Congressman Wilson's $31,250 per year.

Now who is REALLY in the pocket of the healthcare industry?

EDIT TO ADD:

Oops, I miscalculated a little. I was only counting contributions from healthcare professionals.

Once you add in those from hospitals and pharmaceutical companies, Congressman Wilson's grand total comes to $398,346 or $49,793.25 per year.

Senator Obama's grand total comes to $15,553,452, which averages out to $3,110,690.40 per year.

Note: that shows no contributions to Obama from pharmaceutical companies. I don't know if he has received any, but it doesn't list him as having done so, which seems odd considering the volume of contributions from the other fields.

But hey, that's just the facts, they don't mean a thing, right?

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I don't see it as heckling. I saw it as giving voice to the millions that couldn't speak there.

Just my humble little opinion. . .

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllSeeingI
ASHLEY D:
"He was not paid $250,000 for his outburst. With all that said, this looks very bad for him. Over $400,000 in contributions from those in the health care field. Not good at all. It's very reasonable for us to believe his outburst had more to do with protecting his contributor's interests than it did outrage at the president's alleged lie."
-

I dont see any difference between protecting his contributors interests and what he did with his outburst.

So YES he was paid to say "YOU LIE"

This man received more moneys from Health Care industry rich fat cats then ANY other industry in his lifetime AND in the most recent time period.

If he received NO moneys from these people... I Guarantee he would NEVER have made such a statement.

Money comes in.... "You Lie" comes out.

You cannot guarantee anything. Do not speak for this man. You have collected facts, pointed out to you by a somewhat... less than reliable source. You have taken these facts and skewed them to your liking. You are obviously not participating in this debate in a nonpartisan way, and you are attempting to derail this man's arguments because he has received a pittance of money from the industry over his lifetime compared to the amount of money Obama has received this year.

If you're all concerned about "best interests" and who is paying who, why not make a thread about how Obama is in the pocket of big healthcare? You are falling right in step with the party line, you are now marching in the rank-and-file. How does it feel?

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Hey- I'm agreeing with you towards the ultimate point you're trying to make: cronyism. But you're harming your point with a sensationalist title by implying he was paid that amount just for the outburst (misleading). By looking at some of the replies to this thread, they took the title at face value and that's wrong.

We shouldn't mislead to make others aware of possible misconduct.

reply to post by digger2381

Oh, I have no doubt about it Obama is getting a ton of contributions from those who would profit from Obamacare.

I have problems with both sides doing this. My displeasure with Wilson doesn't mean I'm not overlooking Obama. Politician's actions are dictated by the money- not what is best for the people. And it sucks.

If his contributions over his career are what caused Wilson's outburst last night instead of sincere outrage, it's a shame. Although I'm leaning that way, I still don't know for sure because I don't know comparable campaign contributions. As in, let's say a democrat voting in favor of the health reform getting equal or more contributions from health care professionals. But from from what I'm seeing so far, it is making me suspicious.

Oh, and for the record: I am NOT for Obamacare. But wrong is still wrong if this is what Wilson is up to.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
As per usual:

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join