It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Number of poor in US climbs to 39.8 mln: Census Bureau

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Nearly 40 million people lived in poverty in the United States last year as the recession forced the first significant rise in the US poverty rate in five years, the US Census Bureau said in a report Thursday.

The official poverty rate in 2008 was 13.2 percent, up from 12.5 percent in 2007, according to the Census Bureau's annual "Income, Poverty, and Health Insurance Coverage in the United States" report.

The rise marked the first time since 2004, when the poverty rate climbed from 12.5 percent to 12.7 percent, that the percentage measure of US poor rose significantly, said David Johnson, head of the Housing and Household Economic Statistics Division at the Census Bureau.

"2008 represented a period that was entirely within the recessionary period, which started in December 2007, so I think everyone expected an increase in the poverty rate," he said.

The number of Americans who lived in poverty also rose last year, from 37.3 million people in 2007 to 39.8 million people in 2008, "a level that is similar to other high levels we have experienced, in 1993 and 1960," said Johnson.

In the United States, a person or family is considered poor if their income is less than the poverty threshold for their size of household.

The poverty threshold for one person in 2008 was just under 11,000 dollars, and for a family of four was 22,025 dollars.

rawstory.com...

I'd be curious to see the numbers for 2009!
With all the unemployment and foreclosures you can bet the numbers will have jumped. I wouldn't be surprised if they doubled!

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Already posted...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Warren, you essentially said exactly the same thing I did about the figure probably being now doubled. We're almost equal with Mexico... MEXICO. *sigh* the iront of having snickered (metaphorically) at how a third world country could abut the Southern US border when I was in grade school and we were talking about social sciences is not lost on me now, 20-some years later.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Damn, didnt see it
thanks for the link!

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Nobody cares. America has never concerned itself with the sick and the poor. if you are poor in this country it's your own damn fault and you better pull yourself up by your bootstraps. That's the American way. It's easier to build more prisons to house them then to help them. And this thinking isn't going to change anytime soon.

top topics

join