It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catholic Bishop will deny you Communion if you vote a certain way

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   
yep it is true, A roman catholic bishop says he will withhold communion from members of his church who votes for a candidate that supports abortion rights, stem cell research and gay marriages.

easy solution for those members, just go to another church or don't diclose who you are going to vote for.

What is this idiotic Bishop going to do? spy on you to make you voted according to his standards? ridiculous.
NO you must confess then he'll give you communion

Bishop Issues Communion Warning to Voters Who Support Abortion Rights
Bishop Michael Sheridan said such voters may receive the sacrament only if they recant and repent in the confessional. While he noted that no one will enforce the rule in the Communion line, Sheridan said that Catholics shouldn't simply go to confession and think they could be absolved.

"It might take a public recantation," he said in an interview with The Associated Press. "There is no sin that is unforgivable" but Catholics shouldn't vote for candidates who support abortion rights and "then slip off into the confessional."

"This is a serious or mortal sin, like robbing a local store," he said.

While several U.S. bishops have issued similar warnings to Catholic lawmakers who defy church teaching in their policymaking, Sheridan is believed to be the first to expand that directive to voters this election year.

"He's pushed this farther than any other bishop in the country, much beyond what the other American bishops are doing and whatever has been done in Europe," said the Rev. Thomas Reese, editor of the Jesuit magazine America, who opposes tying Communion to political views.

Archbishop Raymond Burke of St. Louis has said he would not give Communion to Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry because the senator backs abortion rights. Archbishop Alfred Hughes of New Orleans and Archbishop Sean O'Malley of Boston also say Catholic politicians who dissent from church teaching should not seek the sacrament.

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Wow, and who says the church isn't corrupt? In other words, you aren't the blind money giving sheep brained ignorants the church orders you to be, you can't do/get/whatever communion. Almost as bad as the republicans "losing" 40,000 military votes in the 2000 election, which the military supported Gore.

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 09:04 PM
link   
"Body of Christ"
"Body of Christ"
"Body of Christ"
"Sorry Mr. Kerry, no Body of Christ for you."
"Body of Christ"
"Body of Christ"
"Body of Christ"

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
yep it is true, A roman catholic bishop says he will withhold communion from members of his church who votes for a candidate that supports abortion rights, stem cell research and gay marriages.

What is up with the religous right in this country? Every year it gets a little worse and now this line in the sand. Even Nancy Reagan has pulled her head out and put her support behind stem cell research.

If the clergy continue this course of "do as I say, but not as I do" their already dismal attendance rates will continue to plummit.

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Thank god I am not a catholic, anymore, the catholic church may had lost his credibility but it have not lost the power of the evil money it still can buy souls.

I will go to another religious group after voting and buy my salvation somewhere else.

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 09:36 PM
link   
if they preached more about being better mannered to the planet an to animals instead of telling them how to live maybe we could get some work done. Oh yeah i forgot most of the world needs someone to control that "preverable" stick up there arse so they dont try it out for themselves.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 01:17 AM
link   
that is just way out of context.
no one can deny anyone of the eucharist.
it is a personal choice. however, it is a grave sin if one were to recieve it knowingly that they're not supposed to.

quite frankly, i have nothing against the church's decision.
the roman catholic church appears to be one of the few religious bodies that still upholds moral values in a growing amoral nation.

in fact, there's even one denomination that's using this as an opportunity to get in more members into their parish.
the slogan they were chanting at the last protest in d.c. was, 'we are pro-choice because of our faith'... if that's not pathetic, i don't know what is.

now tell me, why should jesus love you if you're supporting an idea which is keeping his 'potential' children from ever being born?

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Religion influences Government, and that's the way it should be.

That's why there are restrictions in the US constitution from Government interferring with religion but not the other way around.

If you want to live somewhere where religious beliefs don't try to influence policy in government, I think France is more suited towards you.

Or you can go and try to recreate the Soviet Union.

But America is certainly not for you.

top topics

join