It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is Martial Law bad?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
If you aren't doing anything wrong, and are not a threat to anyone, the police will let you go.

The only problem I foresee is if the USgov convinces the police/etc to believe in such things as quarantines/etc as legitimate. I think the police/etc are people just like us, and wouldn't treat us as sub-human if we are obviously innocent.

But if you're one of the ones rioting/etc, then yes, you might be considered a threat and will be treated differently.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
The "if you arent doing anything wrong, you will be fine" argument is exactly what the Germans, and so many other repressed people, said.

The bottom line is, we are a free nation, and that freedom is granted by our consititution. Martial Law suspends our constitution. There is then NOTHING keeping the military and or government from doing whatever they want, to whoever they want, for any or no reason.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
The "if you arent doing anything wrong, you will be fine" argument is exactly what the Germans, and so many other repressed people, said.

The bottom line is, we are a free nation, and that freedom is granted by our consititution. Martial Law suspends our constitution. There is then NOTHING keeping the military and or government from doing whatever they want, to whoever they want, for any or no reason.

Though you're right about martial law being a terrible thing. You are wrong about being free, this country has not been free for a long time. To believe so, is simple delusion.

YOU ARE FREE... TO DO AS WE SAY... YOU ARE FREE... TO DO AS WE SAY...

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by king9072

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Though you're right about martial law being a terrible thing. You are wrong about being free, this country has not been free for a long time. To believe so, is simple delusion.

YOU ARE FREE... TO DO AS WE SAY... YOU ARE FREE... TO DO AS WE SAY...

Okay, you are absolutely right. I think jordan maxwell said it best when he said:"You think you are free? Try and pick up and move to a new state tomorrow. You will see how free you are when you have to find a new job, place to live, insurance, etc."

But the truth is, we ARE more free than most nations. And we dont have the SS knocking on our doors. And we CAN post on sites like this without being arrested.

Those things would not exist anymore.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
You should ask someone in New Orleans what is wrong with martial law. And be assured it wont just be NG and LEO it will be contractors too, heck it might even be foreigners.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Martial law is bad because it means things are really, really bad, you have no rights under normal law, there's no judicary or police and the military can do whatever they like (including shooting on sight).

If it ever happened here I'd be off to the hills like a shot.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by bettermakings

Just look where are are now under martial law, things haven't been so peachy since 1863. Google "General Orders 100" for more info.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I'm glad you started this thread. I have pondered whether it would be so bad because I am not an unruly person and they wouldn't have to keep me under control. But then I am reminded of all the police brutality incidents and innocent people being persecuted and of course the idea that the martial law would be implemented for a sinister purpose to begin with (like forced vaccinations or whatnot). Great question. I like reading the answers too.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by pluckynoonez

Just look where are are now under martial law, things haven't been so peachy since 1863. Google "General Orders 100" for more info.

The most overlooked fact in american history. Thanks for pointing that out. I wish more people understood this.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Oh man, the old "if you aren't doing anything wrong, why does it matter defense".

First off, you're assuming that the gov't/authorities only pick on you if you're doing something wrong.

Second, you're talking about martial law, not your run of the mill traffic stop, interrogation by police, or arrest for robbing a store. Martial law suspends the constitution, puts America under emergency powers meaning the president has full control over what goes--no more congressional decisions which is SUPPOSED to be meant to represent the people

No more congressional decisions means that the people's will is null and void and not even considered.

Now I know these counter-arguments seem moot given the fact that congress hasn't listened to the people at all for the past few years. When the vast majority of the public did not support the bank bail outs, they did it anyway. THAT is NOT a democratic republic.

So, if you think things are going bad given the fact that congress cares less about what we want, imagine what it would be like if congress was completely taken out of the equation.

Besides all this, the most important rights to protect are NOT YOUR OWN. You must protect the rights of those you disagree with also because whoever is in power may not always be on your side (if they ever are on anyone's side but their own) and if you support tactics and policies that stiffle dissent, just wait until you're the one dissenting, then you'll sing a different tune.

Case in point, many conservatives supported the PATRIOT Act because it supposedly made America safer against terrorism. They said EXACTLY what you are saying now--"If you're not doing anything wrong, why does it matter."

Well, we've seen why it matters time and time again because many people who haven't done anything wrong have been bullied, harrassed, arrested, and thrown in prison or a detention center because of the PATRIOT Act only to be left alone afterward with nary a charge ever brought against them.

Back in the day it was liberals. Now, with Obama in charge it's the conservatives they have in their sights and those same conservatives who didn't care about the patriot act are now suddenly distraught at the language being used to describe them as terrorists, i.e. enemies of the state.

Now, they are singing a different tune and rightly so.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by bettermakings
If you aren't doing anything wrong, and are not a threat to anyone, the police will let you go.

Wow that's an interesting observation. Wait a minute? During the Holocaust, what exactly did the people imprisoned in the concentration camps do wrong again?

Yeah they'll let you go, right into a gas chamber.

[edit on 10-9-2009 by tinfoilman]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
"Why is martial law bad?" Really? You mean you don't understand why?
It baffles me when I hear this question. Martial law goes against everything a freedom-loving person believes in. Please tell me when the last time the gov't did something that actually benefited the citizens. Since you probably can't, why on earth would you expect that Martial Law would be fine and dandy. If you don't do anything wrong they'll leave you alone! It's attitudes like this that roll out the red carpet for fascism. I wonder how many other people think like this. Maybe this is why we are losing our freedoms- because there are more compliant, trusting citizens than there are critical-thinking citizens who are outraged.

It's time for those of us who do believe the gov't is out of control to stand up and take back our freedoms.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
This is what the supreme court said about martial law when President Lincoln tried to impose it in 1863:

"Martial law ... destroys every guarantee of the Constitution."
"Civil liberty and this kind of martial law cannot endure together; the antagonism is irreconcilable; and, in the conflict, one or the other must perish."

Well said.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sundreez
This is what the supreme court said about martial law when President Lincoln tried to impose it in 1863:

"Martial law ... destroys every guarantee of the Constitution."
"Civil liberty and this kind of martial law cannot endure together; the antagonism is irreconcilable; and, in the conflict, one or the other must perish."

Well said.

And, let's not forget as plucky pointed out, that that martial law was never lifted.

Let me say that again:LINCOLN'S MARTIAL LAW IS STILL IN EFFECT.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by bettermakings

I'm sorry but this is not correct. Police will twist small things or prolong certain things to keep you in situ. Not only that the legal idea of 'wrong' and 'threat to anyone' is not inline with any well thought out philosophies.
I hope you did this post to get reactions because if not you have a lot to learn.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

Your comment (and others touched on the subject) makes a great point.

There will always be a minority of ALL people who are psychopaths in a dangerous way. I still think most police/etc are not, but of course out of the millions of them, even if 1% are psychopaths, that means 10s of thousands are a threat.

By the way, I would stand up for my freedom. If there was full civil war in America, I would take sides, whichever side is fighting for the greatest freedom...... but I don't think it will happen for a long time, if it ever does happen.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
It's bad because people like us ATSers including are more than likely flagged and sit somewhere on a list just for contributing to a website like this.

When mass Martial Law is implemented it will be like opening pandoras box. It will have many alterior motives.

The "herd" will likely be sorted out.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Then why is martial law so bad i have been reading things and ur post is ok but i want to know what is the bad things about martial law if ur not a threat???

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   

There are two types of martial law; Partial meaning exactly that. Qualified means the military has full control because things have gotten that bad. Law enforcement will still be present and more then anything be directing the military due to the unfamiliarity of the localities. Both martial laws can only be activated by the president and only until order is restored. We will probably never see it, but the way things are going in this country, I am not so sure any more.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join