It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP approved Iraqi Constitution Provides "Every Citizen Has The Right To Healthcare"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
www.uniraq.org...

Article 30:

First: The State shall guarantee to the individual and the family – especially children and women – social and health security, the basic requirements for living a free and decent life, and shall secure them suitable income and appropriate housing.

Second: The State shall guarantee social and health security to Iraqis in cases of old age, sickness, employment disability, homelessness, orphanhood or unemployment, shall work to protect them from ignorance, fear and poverty, and shall provide them housing and special programs of care and rehabilitation, and this shall be regulated by law.

Article 31:

First: Every citizen has the right to health care. The state shall maintain public health and provide the means of prevention and treatment by building different types of hospitals and health institutions.

Second: Individuals and entities have the right to build hospitals, clinics, or private health care centers under supervision of the State, and this shall be regulated by law.

current.com...

We have (thus far) sacrificed more blood to wrest Iraq from tyranny than we lost on 9/11. In addition, according to the Congressional Research Service, as of May 15, 2009 (Report 7-5700/RL33110) we have spent and/or authorized $864 Billion in military operations on Operation Enduring Freedom, which includes Iraq and Afghanistan. The overwhelming majority of those funds have been for the war in Iraq. Additional secret funding has been authorized for intelligence and special operations.

The total is more than (or, in the worst case, equal to) the funding required to guarantee minimally decent health care here.

In other words, the most senior members of the Republican establishment - and some Democrats like Max Baucus (D-MT) - have gladly spent more taxpayer funds to ensure health care as a Constitutional right in Iraq than they are willing to spend to give you any level of guaranteed coverage.

Simply stunning. The wealthiest nation in the history of the world ought to at least aspire to provide our own citizens with decent health care - especially if we force other nations to do so.

I find it hard to believe that, as Americans, we would so begrudgingly deny our fellow citizens the basic human right of good health. Congress needs to work with the President to find an equitable solution that is at least as sweeping and humane in it's tenets as the one constructed for Iraqis.

In so many ways, politically, financially, socially and ethically our nation is crippled. We need to get down to the basics in order to fix it - health care, education and jobs.

[edit on 10/9/2009 by kosmicjack]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I assume much of the blow back on the health care reform measures are due to a) GOP sentiment that anything Obama does must be thwarted at all costs!, b) much astro-turfing by the insurance industry or c) all of the above.

I mean, it can't be that the GOP is anti government mandated health care since we overthrew Saddam to institute a government that is required to provide care. Or is this a big ole case of NIMBY.

Good find kosmic!
obs out

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

If the government allowed interstate commerce with the insurance companies (our government stopped it!) and made real reforms with tort reform, we could have it.

But they, the people in DC won't do this. They would rather put in place a monolith of government inefficiency to control every aspect of our lives.

2 cents

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I can't say that I'm familiar enough with the Iraqi medical system to know the details of treatment and the coverage of costs. The 'right to healthcare' is pretty vague and certainly isn't equivalent to a 1,000 page bill that may well have any number of objectionable provisions that could lead a representative or a party to oppose it.

That said, even under current US law, you have a 'right to healthcare', according the the 1986 EMTALA Act. You cannot be turned away for emergency medical services, regardless of ability to pay.

[edit on 10-9-2009 by vor78]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by vor78

I agree that the wording is vague, but the principle remains. The U.S. can't even agree on that.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

Insurance and Tort reform is certainly a must. I think one reason the Iraqis have a working premise on health care as a right and we don't is simple - money.

Insurers. Lawyers, Lobbyist, Doctors, Hospitals, Politicians - Everyone is making money off of our broken system while people are dying.

[edit on 10/9/2009 by kosmicjack]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   

There is a bill in Congress I will have to look it up but it would allow Americans to buy into the Federal Health Insurance program. The one that Federal Employees get, I think that would be the best Idea. Not some stinking 1000 page health bill that looks llike a Mess.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

Oh, I actually like this idea a lot. If this was set up with the provision that those who could not afford it could get subsidies. Why is this not on the table and being more vocally discussed?

And come on the health care bill is at LEAST 1300 pages long. Just a tad longer than Stephen King's The Stand! LOL

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Here is the bill number and whats in it, www.abovetopsecret.com... I think this bill is the best out there. It gives Americans the same excellent service that we Federal Employees get. H.R 3438 call you congress people flood the news ever where about it.... Its the best Idea I have seen come out in a long time. A direct link to the bill www.govtrack.us...

[edit on 10-9-2009 by poedxsoldiervet]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
The problem is that the GOP wants to secure profits for big business and the dems don't want any compromise on a "public option".

I say want needs to happen is take this a few steps at a time, start with no cost solutions at first and see what happens and then do more if need be, instead they want to overhaul the whole system in one shot and then "fix" what they screw up.

I feel that ever citizen does have a right to health care but in the same sentence every citizen has a right to not pay for another's health care.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Perhaps Iraq can afford to provide this to their people.

Maybe they didn't just pass a 787 billion dollar stimulus package that they have to print the money for.

They might also have a majority of their population with no health care.

I think they might also have a national resource available to provide income that would pay for this for their people.

Comparing apples and oranges.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Removed by poster, as it doesn't address Iraq and Afghanistan, even though true, it was still "off topic"

Sorry

[edit on 10-9-2009 by uaocteaou]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

Excellent point. Affordability is an issue in U.S. health care.

But if, as you say, Iraq can afford health care for it's citizens, then why are we paying for it?

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by uaocteaou

The GOP stood against Civil Rights reform

Your wrong on this point, the GOP were the champions of Civil Rights reform, it was the democrats that were against it. You should read up on what they use to call the "Dixie Democrats".

Either way they are two totally different parties compared to what they were back then.

These days both parties are all for big government, they are both for fascism just one advocates a version that "sounds" better.

On topic though I could see why they needed this in the Iraqi constitution though, seeing how the muslims over there kill each other for being from a different sect, I could completely see the situation where certain hospitals wouldn't treat somebody for a different sect.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
The fact remains that the GOP voted to provide health care for Iraqi's with my tax dollars.

You can't see the hypocrisy in this?

If the US health care bill tanks; this fact will haunt the GOP in coming elections.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

Wrong as politicians the Republicans cashed out on the civil right movement for political gain they didn't do a darn thing to promoted it the people in the nation that fought and die for did.

I wonder who is paying for the health care in Iraq, because the last time I check their health care was still funded along with their government budget by US tax payer.

new topics

top topics

join