It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we protect endangered animals?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by JennyJen
Ah no offence but I can't stand that man. My other half showed me a video of him the other day, in which he talks about religion and there being no God. I'm not particularly religious but every word I've heard this man spout has been egotistical, moronic and ignorant. He appears (to me at least, I don't know the guy and wouldn't ever wish to) to think that every word he says is gospel and that we are priviliged to hear his view in life like everyone else is below him and too stupid to see it. Could never take his argument seriously when hes so cockheaded about it.

Lol, I can hear that!

What turned me off from religion to agnosticsm, to ultimately atheism was.

South Park, Simpsons. Dared to joke of a god, specifically mine, Jesus.

Rebuked at first, till I got a laugh.

Then I was interested in Michio Kaku, watched "ALL" of his Youtube videos, and google videos.

Then I referenced to somewhere to dawkins, watched the Dawkins channel, the man had so many answers, for things I thought were impossible, and I held steadfast at that.

The Hitchens, then Sam Harris, the Dennet.

And then I questioned, my own belief for once.

Then went back to Dawkins to see what he proposed, and it was evolution, then went and looked at that.

And after a ton of back and forth, fell upon, well you guessed it

Carlin, is a comedian, not a speaker at that. His video I posted, is nothing more then comedic relief

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   
moon shots? asteroids? i guess we all have our opinions on what other people should spend their money on.
i don't think a valid argument for scrapping endangered species protection is "we should be looking to space".

and we are outside of the natural order, as soon as we became capable of consciously manipulating the environment to our own ends we lifted ourselves out of the natural order.

george carlin has an interesting point but a guy who, in one breath, talks about religion as if it were total nonsense and in the next personifies nature as having some sort of god like will and plan ("the earth made us so it could get plastic") should be viewed as a comedian, not a philosopher.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

I chose specifically to dissect this, sorry.

moon shots? asteroids? i guess we all have our opinions on what other people should spend their money on. i don't think a valid argument for scrapping endangered species protection is "we should be looking to space".

I think, something hurdling through space with enough force or mass to destroy the earth entirely is worth considering, sorry if i'm wrong in thinking.

Space is big, and has alot of hidden assholes in it, we should be looking at, not for fetish reasons, but for our life depends on it reasons!

and we are outside of the natural order, as soon as we became capable of consciously manipulating the environment to our own ends we lifted ourselves out of the natural order.

We are out of a 'natural' order such as the whale is out of order with the minnows.
The whale trumps agreeable.

But is the whale not natural.

We are still made by nature, which makes us natural, not divine. Don't become egocentrist in it.

As for george carlin video, 99% of the comments, were made about him, "burning in hell right now". Very christian, islam ,hindu like. Great comments.

We have to many judgers and not enough movers and pushers!

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I think we should do what we can to protect any endangered species. There is nothing wrong with survival of the fittest, but there is definitely something wrong with massacring, raping and plundering the earth and it's inhabitants, as humans have been doing for quite some time. I consider survival of the fittest an evolutionary process, not the outcome of an uneven battle.
We may consider ourselves to be on top of the foodchain, but we need the other species just as much in order to survive, we need a balanced eco system, or mankind is doomed to become extinct eventually as well. Some things, such as whale hunting, fox hunting, are things I consider completely unnecessary and extremely cruel. Killing to survive is one thing, killing out of pleasure is a whole different matter.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by DarknessFollows

As a Disclaimer, all opinion forth of me, are to be unsubjective, and to be completely for commentary points only, nothing personally, savvy, no? Then # off

I think we should do what we can to protect any endangered species.

Why should we protect them?

but there is definitely something wrong with massacring, raping and plundering the earth and it's inhabitants,

Agreed, killing for game, is wrong, but what about for survival, or continuation of regular aptitude of life.

we need a balanced eco system,

What is balanced to you?

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
reply to post by pieman

I chose specifically to dissect this, sorry.
no worries!! no need to be sorry.

I think, something hurdling through space with enough force or mass to destroy the earth entirely is worth considering, sorry if i'm wrong in thinking.

you're talking as if we can't possibly do both. how much is spent on weapons every year, or make up, or mcdonalds or lawn mowers. donating to charities protecting endangered species and going on whale watching holidays is hardly the only discretionary spending people do.

this asteroid thing is rubbish, it's nothing to do with endangered species.

We are out of a 'natural' order such as the whale is out of order with the minnows.

we are not governed by the laws of nature....that's just the way it is. it's not like a whale to a minnow because a whale is unable to manipulate it's own environment in a way that inadvertantly affects the minnow.

As for george carlin video, 99% of the comments, were made about him, "burning in hell right now". Very christian, islam ,hindu like. Great comments.

i didn't make the comments!! what has that got to do with me? what's your point?

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

oooooh, a debator
yay. If you'd like a debate is ok IMO, but forgo here it is

no worries!! no need to be sorry.

I'm sorry, only in the sense of being sorry for the readers

you're talking as if we can't possibly do both. how much is spent on weapons every year, or make up, or mcdonalds or lawn mowers. donating to charities protecting endangered species and going on whale watching holidays is hardly the only discretionary spending people do.

this asteroid thing is rubbish, it's nothing to do with endangered species

The amount of people "including amateur astronomers" watching the earth destroying asteroids, could infact, fill up one mcdonald's place. Just one, that is frightening!

Something could be headed straight to earth! You'd think that the earth sized rock, that hit Jupiter would of been a wake up call, since one of those mcdonald guys spotted it, after it was done!

It's got nothing to do with endangered species just the money in that aspect!

People spend lots of money on frivelous things, I would if I had children, gladly tell them, all the christmas money went to charities, and NASA, now quit asking. And you look them in the eyes, and the people I got to charities for, that I actually go to, since that is real of me.

we are not governed by the laws of nature....that's just the way it is.

That's the way it isn't. We are a small part of nature.

There is so much out there!

Whose to say, that this is it, this is nature, this is all there is to our beautiful nature, that we mount above it!

George Carlin, you heard me, and went somewhere else, I in no way directed it toward you.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Why should we protect them?

We are all part of the foodchain, and a chain only works and is strong when it is unbroken. We need other species in order to survive and it is hard, if not impossible, to determine which species we need, and which one we can do without. In fact, I'm pretty positive humans are the one species the world could loose and still be fine.
Natural selection will have its way and by survival of the fittest certain species will dissapear over the course of time, and the eco system will adjust. But that is not something that happens within one or two generations, but takes a lot longer than that.We have done enough already, I really believe it is time for some damage control.

Agreed, killing for game, is wrong, but what about for survival, or continuation of regular aptitude of life.

That is why I wrote: "Killing to survive is one thing, killing out of pleasure is a whole different matter. "
We don't just kill in order to survive, we wipe out entire species. That has nothing to do with survival, or continuation. And it should be stopped, because it is sickening.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   

That's the way it isn't. We are a small part of nature.

There is so much out there!

i didn't say we were immune to nature, i said we weren't governed by it, there is quite a difference. our day to day lives are not dictated by nature. this doesn't mean nature doesn't and couldn't affect us, it just means that we are not subject to the laws of nature alone, we have the ability to circumvent them.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
To lose any species is to lose one beautiful aspect of creation, just
as humans are one aspect. The main problem is that many people
cannot see the beauty of some species - they're ugly or icky or
poisonous or whatever. That is our greatest failure, to NOT recognize
that every animal is created PERFECT. Every single feature of that
animal is perfectly attuned to help it survive in it's environment. It is
complete and incredible and deserves protection from those who have
the power to endanger it. Besides, your grandchildren deserve the
chance to see it in person just as you did.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by spellbound
reply to post by Republican08

Hey, here's a thought.

Put the animals as the rulers and let them dictate everything!

It would be a different planet.

Sorry, but animals are way too smart ever want or take that job.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I say we should protect all animals on earth. I know some of u dont believe in the creator, but its says in the bible for man and creatures to worship GOD. I think they are worth more to this planet that mankind itself.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I believe in a DNA bank storing alot of earths creatures DNA is certainly a good step...should a animal go extinct and we wish to have em back, just clone em back into existance.

problem solved. just make sure theres alot of backup stations, or arks

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

As a hunter, a fisherman, and a nature lover, I have to say that those who go ballistic over so-called endangered species really hack me off. When I kill something, I eat it (unless it is a varmint, like a coyote, or a 'possum, and I will eat a possum if necessary.)
But what is the deal with the small bait fish in California? They are witholding water that is badly needed for crops, which will be used to feed us, for some damned inconsequential fish.
This is where greenpeace and associated organizations lose me.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by OG_SWAGGA_KING

I believe, if you check Genesis, it states than man was given dominion over the beast of the field, the birds in the air, and the fish in the sea. Indeed, man was given, by God, dominion over the entire earth, including, for those who nitpick, the plants, the insects, etc.
If you don't believe, then I suppose it doesn't matter.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I would like to ask a question. Everything is supposed to have a purpose in life. Would someone please tell me, in all seriousness, what use is a damned mosquito or tick? They do nothing but spread disease and cause misery.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by kettlebellysmith
I would like to ask a question. Everything is supposed to have a purpose in life. Would someone please tell me, in all seriousness, what use is a damned mosquito or tick? They do nothing but spread disease and cause misery.

They're food for other things, mostly.

Anyway - YES - we should protect endangered species.

On top of that, if we can do it with modern science, we should resurrect the ones we've been responsible for killing off.

I want a pet Dodo.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   

I'll tell you what they can teach us. Humility. Not only are they pesky as hell and can nearly drive you mad, but they can inject with dieases that could kill you.
What does that say about size being equal to power? I fear mosquitoes more than a PO'd grizzly, I can shoot the grizzzly but WTH can I do about the 'skeeters? Spray and pray is all I can come up with, lol.

[edit on 10-9-2009 by Asktheanimals]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   

But what is the deal with the small bait fish in California? They are witholding water that is badly needed for crops, which will be used to feed us, for some damned inconsequential fish.

The same can be said for the mass farming of animals for food. If we grew crops instead of raising animals on the land for slaughter, we could feed the world many times over.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   

But I see it as this, should we completely inconvenience our Race of Species, to comfort one, that isn't 'fit'.

[Im going to try as hard as I possibly can to be nice about this]

1. animals do pretty well when humanity doesnt inconvenience them with ROADS/TRASH/DEVELOPMENT/SPORT-HUNTING/"Control"

what that means is its the animals who are being VASTLY inconvinced by us and our "drive through menu-throw the microwave out the window" way of living. Each SINGLE INCH of roads built on planet earth is actually a fragmenting dissection of THEIR natural habitat.

2. survival of the fittest no longer applies to humanity. it is now officially survival of the richest.

--------------------------------

You very EASILY could have been born into existence as a polar bear. you where lucky enough to be born a person, who has the ways and means of living in HARMONY with animals AND the planet as a whole.

if you eat at mcdonalds and shop at wallmart and you DONT help other people and animals when you can, then Jesus probably wont think very highly of you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join