It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we protect endangered animals?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

I don't think its necessarily a choice of funding to look after humans or animals. People devote themselves to the cause that is closer to their heart and if they are going to donate money to anything, it will mostly be to that rather than the pursuit of technology.
From what I know (correct me if I'm wrong), alot of these progressive space technology is funded by the taxpayers money. Yes, there are outside investors/donators also but that they receive anything from the government troubles me. Considering the mess pretty much every country is in at the moment, any funds should be spent on improving the facilities and care of those in our communities.

Things aren't black and white as to say either we all donate money to technology or we all donate money to humans/animals. Each cause is always going to have its own funds to work with. Personally, my heart is closer to looking after animals so that is where my money and attentions lie but I can also ease my conscience knowing that there are a great many (and probably more) people out there working for human rights.
Whilst there are still people willing to donate money towards the protection of endangered species, I say we do everything we can with that money to protect them. If we weren't doing that, I certainly wouldn't be handing my money across to NASA or any other space agency or technological pursuit.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Hey, here's a thought.

Put the animals as the rulers and let them dictate everything!

It would be a different planet.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:06 AM
link   

if we had the funding, we could figure this all out. But it's beside the point and nearing OT.

No it is sudden death overtime, we hit overtime long time ago.

and so you think killing the animals to get the money back that they are stealing from us so that we can fund this telescope for a measly chunk change of $8mil between now and 2020 is the answer?

[edit on 10-9-2009 by overide]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by overide

if we had the funding, we could figure this all out. But it's beside the point and nearing OT.

No it is sudden death overtime, we hit overtime in "99.

and so you think killing the animals to get the money back that they are stealing from us so that we can fund this telescope for a measly chunk change of $8mil between now and 2020 is the answer?

Not a telescope, manned mission to another orbiting object in the heavens

I don't think, outright killing animals is the key, but maybe letting them go, letting one hand relax, and grasping another tangible item.

We can spend Trillions of dollars on banks, why not for scientists, finding earth destroying asteroids? I see the telescope part in that now. Savvy

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

I don't think, outright killing animals is the key, but maybe letting them go, letting one hand relax, and grasping another tangible item.

You say this as though the money spent saving endangered species would transfer to scientific purposes. The majority of the money that is spent on animals comes from public donations, who are donating to the cause because they believe it is worthy. If we gave up this cause, the money itself wouldn't exist. I certainly wouldn't start donating money to NASA instead.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by JennyJen

Originally posted by Republican08

You say this as though the money spent saving endangered species would transfer to scientific purposes. The majority of the money that is spent on animals comes from public donations, who are donating to the cause because they believe it is worthy. If we gave up this cause, the money itself wouldn't exist. I certainly wouldn't start donating money to NASA instead.

Why would you 'not' donate it to NASA, to fund for earth destroying asteroids?

I can't see a reason not to personally.

Even Michio Kaku, is outraged and befuddled by this!

I don't assume it will be, I would hope it would be!

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   
i think its a damn shame that we should be in a situation where we have to protect anything from being endangered or extinct.

The human race should stop doing the damage that puts the animals in this position firstly.

OK, so there maybe many natural cases of animals becoming endangered but i think its mostly our fault. Urbanisation, Chopping down rainforest etc.

Its almost hypocritical that we wreck their lifestyle, then try our hardest not to wipe them out completely.

Governments are mostly to blame, although if we the consumer of certain products knew more, maybe we could make at least a small amount of change.

I was at a wildlife park a few weeks ago, Orana Park in New Zealand -

www.oranawildlifepark.co.nz...

I visit this place regularly, its a great setting and most of the animals have huge natural areas to roam in. anyway, they recently got a couple of Sumatran Tigers which are utterly beautiful.

the head keeper told me that massive areas of these creatures natural habitat is being destroyed every day....and for what???

PALM OIL!!!

its a crying shame.

[img]
[/img]

g.

[edit on 10-9-2009 by grantbeed]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Yes,

Humans are making animals extinct.

You are so right.

Humans should not have any rights over animals.
You are so right

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Because I'd rather focus on donating whatever little money I have, to help something that is immediately in need of help. If we get hit by an asteroid, so be it. It won't be much of a world worth saving if a hundred years down the line, our negligence has destroyed most everything.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Governments are mostly to blame, although if we the consumer of certain products knew more, maybe we could make at least a small amount of change.

Like I said before elsewhere. "IF YOU BUY IT, YOU SUPPORT IT". Case closed.

Second line.

Its heavy use in the commercial food industry elsewhere can be explained by its comparatively low price, being one of the cheaper vegetable or cooking oils on the market, and by new markets in the USA,

If you can get if for cheap, you can get it! Gov't answers to everything for that question.

All about how to get it cheap. Sickening.
Source

[edit on 10-9-2009 by Republican08]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by JennyJen

Because I'd rather focus on donating whatever little money I have, to help something that is immediately in need of help. If we get hit by an asteroid, so be it. It won't be much of a world worth saving if a hundred years down the line, our negligence has destroyed most everything.

I agree, sort of, what do you think, that 1.25 billion spent on whale watching should be spent on instead.

1,250,000,000 dollars instead of? What could that money do?

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Oh absolutely, that money could be better spent on other things, but the point is that it wouldn't be. If people weren't spending it on whale watching, they'd be spending it on holidays abroad/luxury items/car's etc etc. The majority of peoples spare change goes on needs that serve their own end, not by passing it across to space agencies to build telescopes, amongst other things.
At least some of the money that is spent on whale watching, can be used for the protection of the species, depending on how scrupulous the tour guides are.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Whale watcihng is cool.

Saving people and animals is great.

Saving the world is greater.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by spellbound

Whale watcihng is cool.

Saving people and animals is great.

Saving the world is greater.

This is , the essence of the posts here.

Save a man, woohoo, save a village, woohoo, save the species. Now that has no word.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Planet is Fine, People are F**kd by George Carlin...

This sounds logical too especially; in the hue and cry of "global warming".

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Here is a link of a video presentation given by George Carlin..He was a great comedian; but conveyed great messages through his mockery.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRebel
Planet is Fine, People are F**kd by George Carlin...

This sounds logical too especially; in the hue and cry of "global warming".

I'm honestly not getting, where you are getting at

We're #ed by George Carlin, or He's stated Where #ed! lol, he's one hell of a guy!

Your punctuation may of thrown me off, nothing personally, it's just a built in thing of mine, damn hooked on phonics!

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Here is a link of a video presentation given by George Carlin..He was a great comedian; but conveyed great messages through his mockery.

www.youtube.com...

Oh thanks, disregard that up there

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   

www.youtube.com...

Here's the video for ats.

Great video, especially, when he rants about what the earth has been through, then says.

And you think a plastic bag will make a difference!!! lmao!

[edit on 10-9-2009 by Republican08]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Ah no offence but I can't stand that man. My other half showed me a video of him the other day, in which he talks about religion and there being no God. I'm not particularly religious but every word I've heard this man spout has been egotistical, moronic and ignorant. He appears (to me at least, I don't know the guy and wouldn't ever wish to) to think that every word he says is gospel and that we are priviliged to hear his view in life like everyone else is below him and too stupid to see it. Could never take his argument seriously when hes so cockheaded about it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join