It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fifth Graders To Study Religion In School!! But Only One Religion, Islam!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
This information is taken straight from Fall 2009 Professional Development Learning Opportunities

Listed in pdf Section 4:18

Social Studies
Cultural Competency for Fifth Grade Teachers

Description: The Prince Alwaled Bin talal Center for Muslim-Christian Understanding at Georgetown University will present this one-day workshop. Teachers will discover basic information on the standard requirements for learning about a world religion, in terms of Islamic beliefs and practices, terminology and meaning in an individual, spiritual, worldly and social context. Teachers will examine the orgins of Islam, rise and spread of Islam, Islam and hemispheric interactions, as well as early modern and contemporary historical issues. Teachers will integrate cross curricular teaching of Islam through art and literature activities.

Please I thought There was something called Separation of Church and State!! However, in Virginia the Constitution must not matter!!

Separation of church and state is a political and legal doctrine that government and religious institutions are to be kept separate and independent from each other.[1] The term most often refers to the combination of two principles: secularity of government and freedom of religious exercise.[2]

I am not against children learning about Islam, but you better give ALL other religions equal time! In my opinion this is further proof this country is going to hell!

These teachers would do themselves and their students great justice if they were to take U.S. Government, and U.S. History instead of trying to be so politically correct. Perhaps then they would understand they are being asked to teach against the United States Constitution, and the First Amendment.

And just think you and I pay their salaries!

www.chesterfield.k12.va.us...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
It was that way 18 years ago, only it was 7th grade for me.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
even though they may have not intentionally tried to teach you religion and to believe in god. I think there is a more brainwash technique, I remember in elementary school we had to say the pledge of allegiance every day. and of course the "under god" part that was added in by a religious freak in 1954, nowhere near the original pledge of allegiance. make me wonder sometimes

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by tempesillest

How can you compare "under God" to this: Teachers will discover basic information on the standard requirements for learning about a world religion, in terms of Islamic beliefs and practices, terminology and meaning in an individual, spiritual, worldly and social context. Teachers will examine the orgins of Islam, rise and spread of Islam, Islam and hemispheric interactions, as well as early modern and contemporary historical issues. Teachers will integrate cross curricular teaching of Islam through art and literature activities.

???

Do you think they will not be taught about Mohammad and Allah? Why if there is going to be only "A" religion taught in the U.S. schools, is it Islam?

Answer this, are they teaching about Christ in the schools in Iran? then why is this so important?

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

Wow,

I cannot believe this. Either teach them about every religion known to man, plus everything to consider about atheism, or do not address this subject at all.

Kids this age will be brainwashed in one direction otherwise - they are not capable of thinking that there must be a lot of other options if they are taught this.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

Thank you!! Finally a voice of reason. Such impressionable ages! How can this kind of thing happen in America? It sickens me!!

Thanks for your input!

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

S & F to you.

It seems so obvious to me - how can anyone think any differently?

I am glad you brought this to people's attention.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by paxnatus
reply to post by spellbound

Thank you!! Finally a voice of reason. Such impressionable ages! How can this kind of thing happen in America? It sickens me!!

Thanks for your input!

I really don't understand the point you are trying to make. All I was saying is that teaching kids this when they are young is obviously going to stick with them. Just makes me wonder why they make you recite the pledge of allegience with the "under god" thing at such an early age - as our minds are pretty much sponges when we are younger. You can't deny teaching religion at a young age to be wrong, or reciting "one country under god" has no impact on us.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by tempesillest

The point she is making is that either everything should be taught, or nothing. Otherwise kids get a very unbalanced view.

And all that nationalist drivel that everyone was taught doesn't help.

If the people in this world stopped being so divisive, the world might survive, and so might we.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   
The key here is learning 'about' Islam, not practicing it. Many people in western society already know what the history of Christianity is - after all Christmas and Easter reinforce the stories behind them each and every year. So, learning 'about' other culture's religions, what their 'stories' and beliefs are, is simply learning.

Now if they forced children to get on their knees and pray to Allah, then that would be different.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   
I wish way more kids were taught about Islam over the last few decades ...

If they had perhaps the fear and paranoia oft expressed on ATS and across the United States would have not led to the extraordinary cost we've had to pay for our ignorance.

Instead Islam was conveniently restricted to association with black militant groups for the sake of expedient prejudice. Today the same is true to cull the masses' fears towards Arabs and Muslims in general by indoctrinating the muslim - terrorist association.

It is a useful tool for control ... instill fear and depend on the people's laziness in regards to seeking knowledge to manipulate with ease.

It seems that even some ATS members, deniers of ignorance and all, are not immune to this technique.

As far as teaching other cultures, civilizations, religions in school, including christianity, it's all fine by me as long as it's not in science class.

[edit on 10 Sep 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Violet Sky

I disagree that children know about the meaning of Christmas - they are just greedily awaiting treats and presents.

How about teaching all children about all religions and other options?

Not that anyone is sensible enough to do that.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   
When I was in first year seniors we had to learn about Islam. Now we had a little muslim kid in our class for 2 years then he left. Now when we did these lessons, nobody could be bothered learning about it. Ignorance? Maybe, but we were FORCED to learn it. If we didn't we'd be held back after school. We had multiple tests about Islam. We didn't study.

Now we roll into second year. Sex education, the muslim kid was allowed to skip these lessons. Cooking, the muslim kid was able to skip these lessons too. P.E we had swimming, oh guess who didn't go to that?

How is it one religion can always throw the religious card up and say oh I can't do that. Islam is always given a get out of jail card. No matter what.

Religion shouldn't be forced into schools. The kids today are already dumbed down enough to learn stuff they don't need to know. They should teach something valuable, maybe life lessons or show them the benefits of working early in life.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

It cuts both ways - Islamic children should have been taught all the options, as well.

The sad truth is that humanity does not live as one, and that is what is causing our downfall.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by spellbound

It cuts both ways - Islamic children should have been taught all the options, as well.

Absolutely, the OP was referencing the US so that is what I addressed.

But it is correct to say universally that ignorance breeds fear, fear breeds hate.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 02:56 AM
link   
While I don't necessarily agree with teaching one certain religion in a public school,
I would just like to point out that nowhere in the United States Constitution is there any mention of "seperation of church and state".

Just sayin'.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Violet Sky
The key here is learning 'about' Islam, not practicing it. Many people in western society already know what the history of Christianity is - after all Christmas and Easter reinforce the stories behind them each and every year. So, learning 'about' other culture's religions, what their 'stories' and beliefs are, is simply learning.

Now if they forced children to get on their knees and pray to Allah, then that would be different.

No the key here is The Constitution of the United states of America and the first Amendment!! Separation of Church and State!

I guarantee you in a country where we cannot even say "Merry Christmas" in school, there is no thought of Christmas being tied to a Christian Holiday. Easter, are you kidding? They are not learning about the crucifixion of Christ and his resurrection. It's about some giant bunny and chocolate!

The point is you cannot teach one without teaching all. It's called biased!

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I do agree that teaching just Islam and not the other religions as well as viewing agnosticism and atheism from a subjective standpoint as well is biased. If kids are to receive an education, by all means let them learn. But that doesn't consist of giving them one side of the story, or in this case, one religion.

Also, whoever was speaking about the pledge of allegiance...you must also be against "in God we trust" on our currencies. Kids undoubtedly see our currency everyday but I never hear the big fuss about that. I remember as a kid it just bothered me to have to say the pledge of allegiance. I didn't take anything from it. It was just something we did...it was more of a nuisance than a brainwashing....

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by paxnatus
Perhaps then they would understand they are being asked to teach against the United States Constitution, and the First Amendment.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

please explain to me how teaching about religion goes against the constitution and the first amendment? i just don't get it.

also, does this apply outside of chesterfield county, and if not, are you suggesting that the federal government should interfere further with the teaching of children on a local level?

i love these "oh my god, how could this have happened in america, the sky is falling in, won't someone think of the children" threads.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Originally posted by spellbound

Absolutely, the OP was referencing the US so that is what I addressed.

But it is correct to say universally that ignorance breeds fear, fear breeds hate.

Oh yes, typical rhetoric I stand up and say if you are going to teach one specific religion you must give all religions equal time, and that makes me an ignorant fear based racist! Who thinks Arabs are terrorist! Did I spin it the right way for you? Forget that the Constitution means anything!

Give it a rest!

Not one time did I mention Muslims or Arabs or terrorists!! That is completely taking what I said Out of context! The point is if you teach one, you must teach all!!

Are they teaching about Christ in the Middle East? No they are not! Well maybe they should be! hmmmmm?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join