It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congressman Yells 'You Lie' During Obama Speech

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Congressman Yells 'You Lie' During Obama Speech

www.foxnews.com

President Obama's address Wednesday to Congress was greeted warmly by applause from Democrats, but also some disruptions, including one moment in which a congressman accused Obama of lying.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Edit for better discussions:
Do you think what Rep. Joe Wilson did was justified? Why do you think this?
Does this outburst set a new precedent for more "colorful" debates in the house and congress? If so, is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Source: South Carolina Rep. Joe Wilson shouts, 'You lie' at Obama
After the speech, South Carolina Rep. Joe Wilson issued a statement apologizing for his outburst. "This evening, I let my emotions get the best of me when listening to the president's remarks regarding the coverage of illegal immigrants in the health care bill," the statement said. "While I disagree with the president's statement, my comments were inappropriate and regrettable. I extend sincere apologies to the president for this lack of civility."

Source: Congressman Yells 'You Lie' During Obama Speech
"Anybody who would cat-call the president of the United States addressing this body is very, very inappropriate, and he will hear from a lot of us about that," Rep. Jerry Lewis, R-Calif., told FOX News Radio.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who spoke to FOX News before learning who delivered the yell, said she didn't intend to move to sanction anyone for it.

Original video link provided by member Iago18 here

I am amazed at the outburst from South Carolina Republican Rep. Joe Wilson. In a time when we need bi-partisan support from both sides, it is clear that some republicans are simply going to dig in and continue to be part of the "party of no".

What furthers my anger of such outbursts is the fact that there is no final bill drawn that would even be able to prove that this is in fact a lie. Where does he get off calling this a lie without anything to back it up? Incidents like this are exactly what is causing the propagation of propagandist mis-information in this country on this issue.

Amazing.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edits to add more discussion, updates and video

[edit on 9-9-2009 by xmaddness]

+26 more 
posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
If there is no concrete plan then why did Obama say he was going to "clarify" on TV tonite. There was a lie right there...

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

He was clarifying what he wants to see -IN- a bill. He also went on to say he has already received four PROPOSED bills. A proposed bill is not a final bill by any means.

[edit on 9-9-2009 by xmaddness]

+8 more 
posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
They all lie...some are just better at it.

+45 more 
posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I stopped reading when you said that we need more bipartisan support

you want change, get out of the facade of a two-party system
"oh should we screw our nation this way or that way" party!

Good luck in life bro!

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by xmaddness

Why hasn't he written the guidelines for a bill, and submitted it to Congress? Answer- if it fails, he can blame Republicans and Congress. If he writes one, and it fails to pass, or turns out to be a disaster, he would have to take the blame.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
I stopped reading when you said that we need more bipartisan support

you want change, get out of the facade of a two-party system
"oh should we screw our nation this way or that way" party!

Good luck in life bro!

QUOTED FOR TRUTH!

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by stevegmu

A bill can be presented by the president, but it still has to be passes by the Congress and the House in order to become law. A bill of this size is very difficult to write and keep everyone happy in both parties, it would be impossible for a president to draft a bill, and edit the bill, while keeping all interested parties in mind. There are simply not enough hours in the day for the president to have to do the job of what is essentially the jobs of the congress and the house. This is the reason of why bills are created by the house and the congress, because they have the means of discussing these bills in front of their respective peers.

I would rather the president worry about other things than spending every waking moment working on one bill, you know, things like national security and running two wars.

+17 more 
posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
The fact remains that he said that coverage for criminal tresspassers wasn't in any of the already proposed bills and that is a down-right lie. This man constantly spews lies and liberal propaganda and I am glad someone had the guts to stand up to him.

+39 more 
posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   

This is not a time for bi-partisanship. This is the time to listen to wtf the American people are saying!

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Not very mature if you ask me. This is a speech not a town hall meeting. What an arse.
Did any of the Congressmen call names when Bush spoke? just asking.

link   
I am not an Obama supporter by any means, nor a supporter of his policies. That being said, Congressmen shouldn't shout down the sitting President as a point of decorum, regardless of how much you disagree with him or his statements, it's just poor taste IMO. You wouldn't want the other side doing that to a President from your party.

It just makes us seem so ........ British. Just kidding there, take it easy on me.

link   
Yes. I think that some people in the gov't forget who the hell they work for.
They are our servants they are there to do our bidding. I'm sick and tired of people in the gov't thinking that they know just what is best for us. It really upsets me that some people go along with all of this crap.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

You do know V for Vendetta was made for President Bush Right?

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   

I am well aware as to how a bill becomes a law. I was a staffer back in the day. The President would just draft an outline- something I assume a Harvard lecturer would have no trouble with. His enormous staff would fill in the details. He would then review the draft, submit changes, review it again, then present it to a member of the House, who would lay sponsorship to the bill.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I thought it was interesting about all of the booing about NO health care coverage for illegal imigrants. If these people paid for coverage, I would think it might help the system, but I suppose they know differently.

How can the health care industry refuse walk-ins?

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
nothing but disresepct.
republicans are seriously annoying me.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Not very mature if you ask me. This is a speech not a town hall meeting. What an arse.
Did any of the Congressmen call names when Bush spoke? just asking.

That has happened alot over the last decade. From Democrats and Republicans!

mediamatters.org...

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by FantasmaTaans

V for Vendetta was based on a comic book series that ran from 1982-1988 , way before Dubya was on the radar.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join