It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need some expert help please ...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Ok, I have to cover an event for the ATS Press Corps this weekend and I need to buy a good camera for high quality pictures and good quality video.

I have been meaning to purchase a camera for a while now and this event has precipitated the timeline.

I have to concede that after doing some research on this that I am actually more confused now than when I started. I am technically challenged so the camera doesn't need to have a thousand bells and whistles for me to have to learn. Basically I would like a good camera that takes quality pics and video.

I can spend up to $500 on it but if it is something worthwhile I could go a little higher.

Help?

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
here's one in you price range

PENN Camera's

Maybe get extra memory...

[edit on 9-9-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Oh wait .. you wanted an expert

From a non expert, a very good economical digital camera can be had for less than $300...

www.walmart.com...

They are very easy to use, I have the older version the s700 which is a 7.1 MP deal and have been very pleased with the performance. Uses the SDcard, so grab a couple of those so you can take plenty of pics. The more the better.

My wife has one of the digital rebels and while an excellent camera, it does take some time to learn and become proficient in using them.

Just a thought.. good luck with your assignment

edit to add... I wouldn't use it for video capture though, purely for taking pics, sorry missed that part

[edit on 9/9/2009 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
So far the best I can find is /bzucl6

Any advice?

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Avoid sony unless you're going DSLR, IMO.

The canon S-series are amazing cameras and you can't get a competitor in their price range with as much optical zoom, which is usually a very expensive feature.

I think they recently released the Canon S5 iS, I own both the S1, and the S3.. I love those babies.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SantaClaus

Ah, thanks for that ...

Interesting comparison here: www.neutralday.com...

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
reply to post by SantaClaus

Ah, thanks for that ...

Interesting comparison here: www.neutralday.com...

No thank YOU for that!

Wow, looks like the same darn thing. Still going with the Canon. They never let me down.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Ok, so I've gone back and forth between these two cameras all night and I think I'm going to go with the Sony.

The downside is special sony batteries, ms not sd, and apparently the video quality is a little inferior to the Canon.

The upside is that it's cheaper (around $50-75 even with the extras), it has panoramic view mode, is slightly faster, and most important of all I can pick it up at Bestbuy next door tomorrow for $424 where as I have to order the Canon and pay $55 for overnight shipping (but no tax) and hope it gets here by Friday which would give me only one evening to learn it.

So please, if anyone has a better suggestion, or knows of a reason for me to stay away from this camera, will you please let me know so I don't make a mistake.

Thanks.

[edit on 10 Sep 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Hi,

I use the 80 buck Kodak digital camera. I don't have it in front of me, but it's the only one for around that price.

Takes two double A batteries, and I bought a 20 buck extra memory card for it(I think two gigabites...donno)

Any ways I've been extremely happy with it. I can do videos with it also. It's the regular/normal model for sale at WalMart.

I'm pleased....... Besides that I've got 1k Nikon, and I don't use it because of size, and cost...donno wanna F$$$ it up.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
It's important to remember that with digital cameras, the speed is mostly dictated by the media in which you store the data. Highspeed cards will change everything for you, but they don't make many of them, because they aren't that much more expensive, but are much more superior. They'd rather you buy a bunch of crap cards than one REALLY good highspeed card.

Either way, you've got yourself a great camera. I am a consumer reports freak, and thats why I got the canon in the first place.

Also, any Walmart should have the canon for at least 50 bucks less than the web store cost. I always buy my cameras from there.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Ok soooo ... I just got home ... and I'm looking at it ... and it's looking at me rather judgmentally with that "don't you know how to use me stupid" look.

So I said "no I don't, no need to be a jackbutt about it" ...

So the relationship is off on the wrong foot.

Stay tuned. ...

[edit on 10 Sep 2009 by schrodingers dog]

top topics

join