It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Open to 'Sin Tax' on Soda

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Soda is awful for you anyways. I never drink the stuff anymore. Look at the artificial sweeteners like aspartame in diet sodas, aspartame is proven to cause alzheimers. Water and tea comprise a large majority of my beverage intake.

The only problem with this proposal is that it is a slippery slope. First soda, then junk food, then fast food, cake etc.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
There should only be a tax on diet soda since it contains the poison aspartame , illegally introduced by FDA buddy of Rumsfeld in the late 1980's. Tax gum for the same reason.

Don't worry about Rummy; he's got a new gig with Tamiflu and the new vaccines.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

The first time I heard of this idea was here, in NY state. Our governor was contemplating doing exactly this - a sin tax on soda. Listen, practically every city and state and the Federal government is in debt. They're going to tax the # out of us every way they can.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabisquit
There should only be a tax on diet soda since it contains the poison aspartame , illegally introduced by FDA buddy of Rumsfeld in the late 1980's. Tax gum for the same reason.

The whole concept of Diet Sodas is just wrong to begin with. People who drink diet sodas obviously by their own admission need to go...well on a diet...leave the soda alone if you are dieting.

Diet soda drinkers should be taken to Fema Camps and exterminated with all possible haste!

Regular Soda drinkers should get to be the executioners!

Waiters and waitresses that reply to I would like a coke with "A diet coke?" Likewise should be sent to FEMA Camps and executed.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by really

The first time I heard of this idea was here, in NY state. Our governor was contemplating doing exactly this - a sin tax on soda. Listen, practically every city and state and the Federal government is in debt. They're going to tax the # out of us every way they can.

Which is why we need to put all the politicians and government workers in FEMA camps and execute them. We simply can not afford to be governed anymore, it is much to much to expensive!

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by antithesis.

The excuse they give is because it's bad; it's not the reason, it just serves them in justifying their action.

Slippery slope, of course, but it'll get worse than just junk food. That's where it will start. It won't take long till there's a tax on even the healthy stuff like fish - which they already have an excuse in place - there will be huge shortages of fish, due to global warming/climate change (whatever jekyll/hide decide to call it for the month).

I could go on, but I don't want to depress anyone with gloomy predictions.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
'Sin Tax' on Soda has already started here on the state level, now the federal level will do it also,

also they are taxing chips and sweets, along with, of all things, shampoos cleaning products and toothpaste, a tax on personal hygiene products?

However I hear, Twix bars, Twizzlers and Kit Kats aren’t candy, cause they are made with flour, Twizzlers are made with flour?
oh well

Oh and alcohol.

Guess they want us to be slim, stinky, and sober.

[edit on 123030p://bThursday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
We allready pay taxes on soda.....o.O Plus here in California we pay the evil CRV tax on top of the normal tax, which is us having to pay for the money we can get back if we recycle and that is bs cause where is the incentive to recycle. I bought a 24 pack the other day on sell for $3 yet had to pay the damn crv of $1.25. What if I choose not to recycle?...give me my damn money back

So now with local tax, CRV tax and sin tax we could be spending up to 50% of what it is we actually want on taxes. This is theft!

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   

I know, it ticks me off that I can't even buy a package of Juicy Fruit without ingesting Aspartame. And that's not even a diet gum, so WTH? It's pathetic that I have to go to the specialty store to buy gum from another country to avoid buying a gum with phenylalanine. I used to love Juicy Fruit, dang it.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
'Sin Tax' on Soda has already started here on the state level, now the federal level will do it also,

also they are taxing chips and sweets, along with, of all things, shampoos cleaning products and toothpaste, a tax on personal hygiene products?

Oh and alcohol.

Guess they want us to be slim, stinky, and sober.

Which is just another way of saying dirt poor of course.

The real premise here at play is targeting people with 'some' money to spend and 'burn'.

I really wouldn't want him running the country but I thought Mike Huckabees idea of just a flat over the counter tax on all transactions and doing away with the Internal Revenue Service is the way to go.

What ever you make, you make, what ever you spend you pay the same tax rate as everyone else on all purchases regardless of what the purchase is. That in itself would eliminate so much of the bureaucracy in government and get all citizens paying tax whether they make their money legally on the books or illegally off the books or are even legally here in the country.

Our government needs to learn to live on the budget.

The number one cause of divorce in America is over finances. The government should remember that. It's what led to the revolution in the first place, it will lead to a second revolution if they don't reel themselves in and cease and disist.

[edit on 10/9/09 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   

I don't understand what they can possibly be thinking, wait until those drunks sober up, lol

Not to mention PMSy women craving chocolate,

Plus all these taxes hurt the poor most,

I thought when they started the lottery that was going to solve everything?

ha ha

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
reply to post by Erasurehead

Drinking soda is not a sin, lying like Obama is, sure is a sin though.

It occurs to me that you really don't know what a "sin-tax" is. It literally doesn't mean sin in the sense of biblical sin. A sin-tax is really a "sumptuary tax" so basically it's just a tax placed on stuff common in society (i.e. alcohol, tobacco, gambling, etc.) I don't know if you were being overly sarcastic or serious---I would hope sarcasm for obvious reasons...

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
This is ridiculous.

Yes, soda is bad for you.

Drinking soda is my choice. I like it. I enjoy the taste of it.

I should NOT be punished because I like soda.

If you think they are going to stop there, think again. Next it will be anything out of the Hostess factory, or other sweets because they are all bad for you too.

Just because these things are not so good for you, doesn't it make it right to be taxed or punished because you want to eat them.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

I don't understand what they can possibly be thinking, wait until those drunks sober up, lol

Not to mention PMSy women craving chocolate,

Plus all these taxes hurt the poor most,

I thought when they started the lottery that was going to solve everything?

ha ha

The Lottery is just another huge scam to grow goverment bureaucracy. They sold a lottery here in Florida based on it would make up for the short fall in taxes and be used to fund the educational system. Yet hardly a dime goes to the schools because it's all eaten up in 'administrational' costs of running the lottery, fat salaries, lots of government benefits, slick advertising programs, a big budget program that when it gets done enriching itself its hard pressed to part with any money to pay the winners with lifetime installment payouts on big prizes, let alone give any money to the school.

The cash for clunkers program has an administrational cost of 42,000.00 per unit. It costs the government almost 10 times what it gives away, just to pay itself to give the money away by creating more bureaucracy in the administration.

A sin tax on Soda will be no different.

There will be a Soda Czar of course, and a Sin Czar of course each with staffs and slaries, and they of course will commission lots of studies to determine the full extent of the true effect soda drinking and sin has on everything from your hair folicles to the red speckled guppie living in the pool beneath the Hoover damn. At the end of the day 5% of the money they raise might got into the cause they are claiming the money will be used for, and might is a very big and key word there.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   
After reading through this thread, I can safely say that my generation will be the last to enjoy what ever fruits capitalism has to offer. I have to admit I am also glad that I will be dead within the next 70 years, but I am very sorry that my great-grand-kids will have to suffer with my great-grandparents' mistakes. I will fight the policy, but it will be my kids or grand-kids that will have to fight the gun.

sigh

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Orion65

I know, it ticks me off that I can't even buy a package of Juicy Fruit without ingesting Aspartame. And that's not even a diet gum, so WTH? It's pathetic that I have to go to the specialty store to buy gum from another country to avoid buying a gum with phenylalanine. I used to love Juicy Fruit, dang it.

Just about everything has aspartame snuck into it. Went to get some Benadryl melt away tablets for my kid and was reading the label after I got home and saw that aspartame is in it! A child's medication..... loaded with poison.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Asherah

My argument exactly when it comes to tobacco.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus24

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
reply to post by Erasurehead

Drinking soda is not a sin, lying like Obama is, sure is a sin though.

It occurs to me that you really don't know what a "sin-tax" is. It literally doesn't mean sin in the sense of biblical sin. A sin-tax is really a "sumptuary tax" so basically it's just a tax placed on stuff common in society (i.e. alcohol, tobacco, gambling, etc.) I don't know if you were being overly sarcastic or serious---I would hope sarcasm for obvious reasons...

There should definately be occurance taxes! There should be a bible tax too...hey wait a minute...we don't tax the churches!

Yet most people go to church because they have sinned and seek foregiveness!

There should be a foegiveness tax...a real big tax on foregiveness!

An even bigger foregiveness tax on foregiveness if you are a guy who wants or needs a girl to forgive you for something because lets face it that's going to really cost a lot!

Nothing sumptuous or sinful should be taxed but celebrated and enjoyed life is a sentient and sensual experience.

Why is it that Christians like Obama are always trying to create Hell on earth instead of Heaven?

Heaven is free soda for everyone.

Hell would be taxing it.

Oh and there should definately be a too clever for your own good tax, because lets face it, that really does kind of tax us all!

[edit on 10/9/09 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by obilesk
reply to post by Asherah

My argument exactly when it comes to tobacco.

I am in total agreement with you. Even though I am not a smoker!

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Asherah

It's not like it's a 50% increase in price. It's a little bit higher that what we have to pay for CRV in California. Think about a 5-10% increase on the base price. It's really not that bad. I drink soda myself but i'm not an "addict". I'm willing to pay CRV and a little tax hike on something i enjoy.

It's funny actually-people complain that government doesn't work, that programs are underfunded and we don't have enough money for anything. Those very people that complain are not willing to pay extra taxes in order to maintain a successful running of needed programs...Just a thought.

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join