It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Open to 'Sin Tax' on Soda

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

And this is Pelosi if you DARE decide to tax plastic surgery. How DARE you!

[edit on 9-9-2009 by mikerussellus]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse
Mr. President you are a dumbass.

...and there you have basically the entire synopsis of the past 8 months in a Cliff's Notes version.

Oh, and they already do tax bottled water and, when you get right down to it, the usage tax on municipal water is essentially a tax all unto itself considering they passed that law regarding collection of rainfall awhile back.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
You honestly think a 10 cent raise on soda is gonna keep people from drinking it?

It is also starting to have adverse health effects on people, which you end up paying for in your insurance. Or for those who are not insured.

These drinks contribute more to obesity then most foods.

Even one sugary drink a day can have a long-term effect: A 20-ounce bottle of cola has 250 calories, almost 68 g sugar, contains high fructose corn syrup and stomach-irritating acids. Sure, it's marketed as 2 1/2 servings of soda, but most people drink an entire bottle. One of those every day for two weeks is exactly 3,500 calories--the amount you'd need to eat to gain a pound. One 20-ounce soda a day is more than 91,250 calories--more than 26 pounds a year! (At $1.25 each in most vending machines, that one soda a day costs $456.25 a year.)

Text

Soda can also increase your likelihood of developing diabetes. Women who drink two or more soft drinks a day risk damaging their kidneys from all the sugar. To reduce those risks, put down the soda (and sugary juice and flavored waters) and reach for the water!

link

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Automobiles have an adverse impact on people's health too when they crash into retaining walls at 100 miles an hour.

Which should be illegal the automobile or the retaining wall or both?

Compulsive behavioral disorder which is a politically correct and fancy way of saying SOME ONE LACKS SELF DISCIPLINE is what leads to people consuming unhealthy things in unhealthy moderation.

Taxing is not educational.

Taxing is penalizing.

Educational is information and literature and self help for people who behave in unhealthy and compulsive manners...

That's about 99.9% of the human race.

This is just another form of economic slavery on the impoverished and down trodden masses, and the King taxing to fuel a lavish and flamboyant lifestyle!

We need more guillotines not more taxes!

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
The reality is that you like President Obama, and it's perfectally alright to like the President if you feel it's a wise thing to do.

Don't make the mistake that many here make in thinking that I support Obama's policies because I like him. For one thing, I DON'T support all of his policies. Not by a long shot. And have been very vocal about it when I don't. And for another thing, I supported a consumption tax before I had ever heard of a Barack Hussein Obama.
I expect to hear "BH loves Obama" from morons, but not from you.

Just to be clear.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus

You are right. Most politicians, and rich people, alongside the hollywood crowd would look like that or even worse without their plastic surgeries. ;P But of course we can't tax that because "it is a necessity".....

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

As I said it's perfectly alright to like the President of the United States even admire him, even pledge your life and limbs to him, who ever he might be.

A consumption tax is unconstitutional and the reality is that if a business makes a product and sells a product the business is already taxed a production tax.

Wage earners are alright charged a payroll tax.

States already charge a sales tax on all over the counter sales.

When you total up all the various forms of taxes that people pay to all the various government entitities it totals well over 50% of their income.

Personally I rarely go more than 2 miles from my home. I travel over the same roads that were made and laid and paid for years ago. I take my bicycle on them because I refuse to pay gasoline taxes and the high price of gas and auto insurance plus on top of it liscensing and registration fees, plus on top of it the occassional code violation or infraction that's finable.

You see my friend I would rather spend that money on consuming things, and I try real hard to consume things made in America from small independent businesses that pay their employees living wages.

Every dime you take out of a citizens pocket to give to the government gets little return for the actual citizen in the way of services, goods or employment opportunities. Thousand dollar toilet seats made with Federal Prison Labor for pennies charged to the tax payer, bridges to no-where given to contractors who are heavy political contributors and donors, a wide array of sophisticated weaponry to use on stone huts. We use a 100,000 Tomahawk Cruise Missile to destroy a 25.00 dollar stone hut, that if we gave the occupant a 10.00 dollar sledge hammer and a 100.00 dollars they would knock it down themselves to make a few bucks.

That's how the government spends money and I am dead set against it.

It's exactly what the forefathers feared in giving the Federal Government unlimited power to tax and that's why they prohibited the government from being able to tax except in times of war, declared by congress, not the U.N., Nato, or Presidential decree.

The economy is in the toilet and it won't get better giving the money you work hard to earn to a wasteful and corrupt and inept government.

I am against big government and taxes and I don't use government services except on a state level and my state only taxes over the counter purchases.

Taxes are simply about reducing the population to free range slaves.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Don't make the mistake that many here make in thinking that I support Obama's policies because I like him. For one thing, I DON'T support all of his policies. Not by a long shot. And have been very vocal about it when I don't. And for another thing, I supported a consumption tax before I had ever heard of a Barack Hussein Obama.
I expect to hear "BH loves Obama" from morons, but not from you.

Just to be clear.

Still doesn't make you right. More so since it is unConstitutional to have these forms of taxes. Not to mention that President Obama is once again braking another promise from the long list of promises he has broken.

But morons will keep thinking they have a right to dictate what people should eat, and drink, and that they have a right to support, and or pass legislation on what people can eat, or drink....

Their moral compasses are so screwed up that they think supporting such policies will help the people.

[edit on 9-9-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse

Originally posted by mikerussellus

You are right. Most politicians, and rich people, alongside the hollywood crowd would look like that or even worse without their plastic surgeries. ;P But of course we can't tax that because "it is a necessity".....

Not only is it a necissity that politicians like Pelosi get face lifts, but lets look first at why...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/65935e4e4c94.jpg[/atsimg]

Now lets look at the advantages of Government Health care and what having a great medical plan can do!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c68db1ad0d0f.jpg[/atsimg]

Here she is resting at home a new woman!

Well I guess that's worth having my soda taxed

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

And people who don't know how to handle guns cause serious accidents.

[Automobiles have an adverse impact on people's health too when they crash into retaining walls at 100 miles an hour.

Which should be illegal the automobile or the retaining wall or both?

Neither, they have a 65 mph speed limit. Solves the problem when people do the speed.

Compulsive behavioral disorder which is a politically correct and fancy way of saying SOME ONE LACKS SELF DISCIPLINE is what leads to people consuming unhealthy things in unhealthy moderation.

Taxing is not educational.

Taxing is penalizing.

Educational is information and literature and self help for people who behave in unhealthy and compulsive manners...

Because that has been working great up until that point?

This is just another form of economic slavery on the impoverished and down trodden masses, and the King taxing to fuel a lavish and flamboyant lifestyle!

What king and what lifestyle?

We need more guillotines not more taxes!

So your fighting against a 10 cent tax that is inducing economic slavery but your advocating death by guillotine as an alternative measure?

interesting....

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Be careful your maturity is showing. If the best political response you can come up with it to make fun of how someone looks, maybe this isn't the website for you.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Be careful your maturity is showing. If the best political response you can come up with it to make fun of how someone looks, maybe this isn't the website for you.

Thank heavens ATS hasn't come out with a humor tax yet.

I imagine you favor one of those too!

You pretty much go for any tax on something you don't indulge in yourself huh?

Read the Constitution, read the history of the founders and their views on Big Government and taxation and understand the pooch is here for you to screw because they risked life and limb to provide you one.

I like the after picture of Nancy better don't you?

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
How nice, a new tax.

Hmm, how many does that make? This is just the few that I can think of off the top of my head.

income tax
sales tax, 8 1/2 % here
property tax
capital gains
inheritance tax
hotel tax or occupancy tax
gas tax
cigarette tax
booze tax
entertainment tax
don't forget that nickle on cans and bottles if you don't take them back
water tax
city tax

I am so sure there is more but my god is that ridiculous or what!!!! It isn't about the nickle today but about the 50 cents next year. This is just another way they are sticking their hands in our pockets AFTER we pay them their taxes on our income we have to pay taxes on just about everything we use our income to purchase!

This idea didn't work too well for Patterson, so hopefully this won't work for big O man. I guess that ginger ale they give you in the recovery room after surgery will add an additional tax to your hospital bill too!

Any recipes for home made ginger ale anyone?

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Yet I can’t help think of the Boston Tea Party as for many people carbonated sodas are the modern day equivalent to tea in colonial days.

Personally I am holding out for when they decide to have a tax on urine to stage my own "Tea Party".

I just haven't decided where would be the best place, The West Lawn or the Rotunda???

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Will they tax diet sodas?

Time to start brewing our own...anybody have the recipe to make Pepsi?

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar

Yet I can’t help think of the Boston Tea Party as for many people carbonated sodas are the modern day equivalent to tea in colonial days.

Personally I am holding out for when they decide to have a tax on urine to stage my own "Tea Party".

I just haven't decided where would be the best place, The West Lawn or the Rotunda???

Definately the Routunda!

That's where I would go, more bang for the buck that way!

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Satire nixie. Satire.

Relax.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Rather than punish the entire population, why not set up mandatory camps for fatties? Children would be pulled out of school and people off the street would be taken to fat camps until they fell within the national body-fat standards. That would have a far greater effect on reducing health insurance costs than would a tax.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by stevegmu

First they came for the beer drinkers, but I wasn't a beer drinker.
Then they came for the cigarette smokers, but I wasn't a cigarette smoker.
Then they came for the soda drinkers and the "fatties", but I drank water and was thin.
And when they came for the lonely computer geeks, there was no one left to save me.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by stevegmu

That woud be even worse, but Obama, and his cronies, like emmanuel Rahm have a plan just like that, it is called Mandatory Community Service, and Mandatory Civilian Military that will respond only to Obama and cronies.

But hey, all this gestapo crap is not only going to make bullies, but will also probably stop all the drug use from the youth these days heh?

At least 3 months mandatory Military training for all Americans from 18-25 and then doing 100 hours or more mandatory Community Service how the CORPORATION sees fit notmatter if you are a single mom, or dad, and or if you are going to college or have a job...

[edit on 9-9-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join