It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Open to 'Sin Tax' on Soda

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lynnsssokc
As it is now Healthy food is over priced.

Fruits and vegetables are very inexpensive. So are rice, pasta, beans, chicken, turkey and pork. Water is cheap. What are you talking about? It's the junk food that's expensive.

He isn't even thinking of the people on a fixed income. With me being disabled I may have to go back to work.

Or you could stop drinking soda. Save some money.

Cheap eating resources

No one willing to explain to me how this tax is unConstitutional?

[edit on 10-9-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Fruits and vegetables are very inexpensive. So are rice, pasta, beans, chicken, turkey and pork. Water is cheap. What are you talking about? It's the junk food that's expensive.

Yes the usual fare that is low on nutrition because it was artificially stimulated to grow faster and is genetically modified so a hand full of companies could corner the market is cheap. Foods that are supposedly not laden with pesticides and growth stimulators (organics) are not cheap. Unless you grow your own you are going to pay more if you want organics. The same goes for meat, if you want meats with no steriods, hormones, and other unnecessary chemicals in it you will pay a higher price for it because it won't be found at the local grocer instead it will be found in kosher butcheries, high-end epicurean stores, and expensive specialty stores.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
tinfoilman,

YOU NAILED IT!! This is exactly what I was trying to say. Government health care is an invitation to running every aspect of our lives because once the Government is controlling it and rationing it then the common good argument will trump individual rights every time. We will have politicians and government paid doctors and research telling us their science and the common good are the reasons we must follow their dictates. Only a fool cannot see where all this is going. CONTROL!!

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

"Look. I think it's a good idea, not an idiotic idea. People who are bogging down the health care industry and driving up the prices of my health insurance with their unhealthy life choices should have to pay more than the person who eats healthily and takes care of themselves. You'll excuse me while I finish our dinner salad..."

"Fruits and vegetables are very inexpensive. So are rice, pasta, beans, chicken, turkey and pork. Water is cheap. What are you talking about? It's the junk food that's expensive....Or you could stop drinking soda. Save some money. "

I love how you are already proving my point about government healthcare. Now you are telling other people what they should be eating to help keep your health care cost down. How nice and considerate of you. After all you just really have other people's health and finances at heart right? I mean really soda is bad anyway right? Who needs it. If we're on a fixed income we should be eating what is on your list of approved "healthy" foods so as to keep health care cost down, right? So now your a nutritionist and a financial expert. And in your expert opinion we should be doing things your way to keep your cost down. Does that just about sum it up? Thought so.

[edit on 10-9-2009 by 2 cents]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by 2 cents

And the worse part is, if they're paying for it they have every right to tell you how to live. That's why I don't want them paying for it. I just want to work, pay my own bills, and use my money to live my life how I want to live.

I don't want their help if there's going to be these strings attached, but people sell out for something that's "free" so easily they don't realize what it's really costing them until it's too late.

Like you said, already got people telling us to stop buying soda to save a little money? What I spent my cash on is none of their business and I'd like to keep it that way.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Obama stated that, "No one making under 250,000 a year will see their taxes increase by one dime."

(I'll look for the clip)

Which IS true, if he raises taxes by .11 cents.

*I'm getting a t-shirt that says,"I told you so!"*

Found the clip, the man is a LIAR!!!

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 10-9-2009 by mikerussellus]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2 cents
Now you are telling other people what they should be eating to help keep your health care cost down.

And why shouldn't I? If I'm paying $1000 a year for someone else's healthcare while paying nearly $1000 a MONTH for mine, I think I have a right to make some suggestions.

After all you just really have other people's health and finances at heart right?

Not really. I don't care what they do as long as I don't have to pay for it. Sorry to blow your theory.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Now you are telling other people what they should be eating to help keep your health care cost down.

And why shouldn't I? If I'm paying $1000 a year for someone else's healthcare while paying nearly $1000 a MONTH for mine, I think I have a right to make some suggestions.

After all you just really have other people's health and finances at heart right?

Not really. I don't care what they do as long as I don't have to pay for it. Sorry to blow your theory.

That was sarcasm because I am sure you don't care about anyone else's health or finances at all. So don't pretend you do. Thanks.

And this is exactly the point - I DON'T WANT YOUR DAMN MONEY!!! OR YOUR ADVICE ON WHAT I SHOULD BE DOING WITH MY BODY OR MY FOOD OR MY LIFESTYLE.

Government Health Care is a SCAM!!

P.S. And thanks for illustrating my points against Govcare so clearly. I don't want it because it will all come down to more control and less freedom.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
The war on drugs has worked so well let's have a war on sugar. Just say no!

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   

I DON'T WANT YOUR DAMN MONEY!!! OR YOUR ADVICE ON WHAT I SHOULD BE DOING WITH MY BODY OR MY FOOD OR MY LIFESTYLE.

Um... Then don't read my posts.

My suggestions weren't even directed at you. Chill out.
I wouldn't want you to have a heart attack.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by concernedcitizan
The war on drugs has worked so well let's have a war on sugar. Just say no!

I am having a war currently on sugar ants.

Raid or Bic?

BIC!!!!!

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Why is it so hard for people to comprehend that the government is not the solution and more taxes are not the solution. We don't need bigger government. We don't need more regulation. More taxes. We need Government and busy bodies who promote it to get their noses out of our business.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
The current health care system is TERRIBLY broken and many people want the government to interfere and help fix it. The government has been hands off of public health care so far and maybe you like the way it is, but many don't. Just as we needed Medicare and Medicaid to address segments of our population that weren't getting health care, we need something to address those who can't afford health insurance at today's prices.

I believe in a consumption tax. If I don't use a product or service, I don't believe I should be taxed for it. It follows, then, that if I DO use a product or service, I should pay for it with my taxes. That's what I believe.

I don't believe "the government is the answer" or that "taxes are the answer", but there is a balance of government involvement in our lives while keeping their mitts out of my business that I would like to see.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Why is it so hard for people to comprehend that the government is not the solution and more taxes are not the solution. We don't need bigger government. We don't need more regulation. More taxes. We need Government and busy bodies who promote it to get their noses out of our business.

This notion of I am and should be my brother's keeper is absolutely insane.

I am 45 years of age and I have never met a human being once who actually consistently attains and maintains what they expect others to in the way of standards.

Yet every last person I have met almost without fail believes they should be able to judge and decide what's best for others based on the standards they themselves can't even attain or maintain.

It's the most bizarre thing don't you think?

Clean up your own backyard and leave mind for naked pool parties please!

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

This notion of I am and should be my brother's keeper is absolutely insane.

I am 45 years of age and I have never met a human being once who actually consistently attains and maintains what they expect others to in the way of standards.

So true.

------------------------

BH,

On the one hand you say you don't care what other people do as long as you don't have to pay for it - and if you do have to pay for it you want to tell them how to live.

On the other hand you say the system is broken and needs to be fixed. For whom does it need to be fixed. You? Do you already have health insurance? If so do you really care about those that don't?

You are a contradiction. Don't want to pay for it. Don't care about other people's health or lifestyle - but yet want Obama to give us all health care.

I don't have any insurance - can't afford it and I'm self employed. But I'll take my freedom over government run health care any day. There must be a better way.

Hell, I don't even trust the doctors in this country to do anything more than mend broken bones. I don't run to the doctor for every little discomfort taking whatever pills they happen to be pushing at the time. My health is my responsibility and I take it seriously. Already the pharmaceutical industry has doctors dangling from strings imagine what things will be like when big brother gets the ropes.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Yes the current health care reform bill has glitches and the "sin taxes" are going to pass and make us pay more money for certain "pleasures". To me and I may be the only one with this view point, "sin" is related to cohabitation. So, therefore, let's tax sex, in all it's forms! Lot's of money there for the coffers of the the Gov't. I'm so tired of all the rhetoric and Bs it ain't even funny.

ps, please forgive me if I have offended anyone, it surely was not my intent.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   

The health system may be broken, but I haven't heard one darn thing the government is going to do to fix it except make digital copies of our health records for some hacker to steal off the network.

All the government says they're going to do is pay for the screwed up system we have now. They haven't said one darn thing about changing anything. Just paying for what we already have.

How is handing more of the tax payer's money over to a broken health care system going to fix a broken health care system? What's the incentive for the broken system to be unbroken if they know the payment is guaranteed by the government to show up in the mail no matter what happens?

I'll tell you what the incentive is. It's what we've been talking about. Once the government gets their little mitts involved THEN and only THEN are we really going to find out what they're going to do.

Once they start handing out that money then it's going be DO WHAT WE SAY OR YOU DON'T GET PAID! Which means we don't find out what the government's real plan is until long after the bill is signed by the president.

The only thing I want the government to go after is the fradulent insurance companies. I pay them every month for a promise.

They promise that if I pay them every month that if something goes wrong they'll cover it. Come to find out when something goes wrong they DENY THE CLAIM. This is just good old classic illegal fraud. You promise to provide a service then you better darn well be able to actually provide that service.

Now for the people that don't have insurance. For the people that can work but don't, why should they have insurance? I'm only willing to pay for the insurance of people that can't work. That's just supporting your fellow man when he's down.

However, for the people that do work, but can't afford insurance? Why should I have to pay for them and why should the government? They're working all week for their boss, but their boss doesn't want to pay them enough to buy health care or food or even pay rent.

That's screwed up. If you're working then it's your boss that's getting the months worth of labor out of you. It's your boss that's making you do all the work. Why should I have to pay for your health care? He's the one that's getting the work out of you. He's the one that should have to pay for your health care.

How did we get here? I'll tell you how. When people can't afford rent and food and health care THEY DON'T WORK. You can be homeless for free. Trust me. I've done it. There's no reason to show up to work everyday to be broke. You can NOT show up to work and still be BROKE just fine.

When employees don't work companies PAY MORE to attract workers. This is called the free market. Why isn't it working?

Because every time a company doesn't pay their employees enough to survive here comes the government with the hand out. Here comes the free housing. Here comes the food stamps. Here now, comes the free health care. No reason for the public to compete for higher wages and better jobs when the government cuts you the check for the difference anyway right?

Where's the incentive for the employer to pay more? So now the employer can pay less and less and less and here comes the government to make up the shortfall every time because the government is run by CORPORATIONS.

That's the real problem. Instead of the corporations giving raises they just take it out of the tax payers wallet by proxy through the government. And they tax and tax and tax until there ain't no more. And that's exactly what's wrong with our economy now. That's why we're raising taxes now. Because there ain't no more.

We ran out of money twenty years ago and started buying everything on credit. Guess what? Now we're out of credit too. Don't we remember the credit crisis? The deflation? The worthless dollar? Did we all forget about that?

There isn't going to be any free health care. There's going to be a worthless dollar, a collapsing economy, and probably another great depression. There AIN'T NO MORE.

You think the health care system is broke? Try the whole country is broken.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   

On the one hand you say you don't care what other people do as long as you don't have to pay for it - and if you do have to pay for it you want to tell them how to live.

I did not say that I want to tell them how to live! I made a small suggestion to someone who was complaining about the price of food. I don't care if they want to drink enough soda to put themselves into a stupor. I just don't want to pay for it.

For whom does it need to be fixed. You?

Yes. Me. I have health insurance now, but there was a time that I didn't qualify because I had a pre-existing condition. And if I tried to get health care on my own (and not through my husband's employer) I would not qualify because I had breast cancer.

ALSO, I am paying for those people who don't have insurance - with my taxes!

It's like auto insurance. My auto insurance prices are high because there are so many idiots without it in my state. Even though my driving record is spotless, I'm paying for these loafers.

If so do you really care about those that don't?

I care about people who do their best and still can't afford it. I don't care about people who want to smoke, drink and sugar themselves to death, then go to the emergency room on my dime when it catches up with them. Let them live their lives any way they see fit. But let them pay for their own health care.

I don't have any insurance - can't afford it and I'm self employed.

And when you get cancer, need surgery or have an accident, who's going to pay for your health care? If you have to have chemotherapy or treatment for several years, who gets the bill?

But I'll take my freedom over government run health care any day. There must be a better way.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. Just as I am. And I will agree that there's most certainly a better way. But in all the years that we've needed SOME kind of reform, Congress has sat on their ample asses. I believe this bill is just the beginning of the process of that "better way" you speak of.

I totally agree with most of your last paragraph. But I think it's time the government step in on this one. It's just my opinion. Don't let it keep you up at night.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by tinfoilman

Sorry, I'm not going to debate the health care plan in this thread. I really have no interest in defending it at all. There are some things I like about it, some I don't. But I'm certainly not in any position to address all your concerns.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   

And when you get cancer, need surgery or have an accident, who's going to pay for your health care? If you have to have chemotherapy or treatment for several years, who gets the bill?

I don't really want to get off topic but when I had surgery a while back the bill came to me ($10,000). Which I paid back in small amounts over the next four years. I assume that if so an unfortunate an event should befall me in the future I will receive that bill as well. And of course that could mean financial ruin. So a few years ago I inquired with many health insurance providers looking for some sort of catastrophic coverage for just such an event. Being that it would be for a rare event and not cover normal doctor visits I thought I could find just such a policy and much cheaper than full coverage. But none of the companies had one or even the foggiest notion I what I was suggesting. Some implied that the laws were such in my state that such a policy like this couldn't exist. If that was true it is an example of gov't interference in private business that causes the health care problems we face. Obviously what is needed is a reasonably priced policy that covers catastrophic events such as cancer and accidents intended to pay for surgeries and hospital stays - not a policy to cover everything even a visit to the doctor for a common cold.

So I take care of myself and hope that the people of this country come to their senses and stop with all this ridiculous nonsense about government care from craddle to grave.

P.S. And despite all this I sleep well at night. Not worried even one bit. I don't even lose sleep knowing that there are people who want the government to tuck them in at bedtime and tell them that big brother will take care of them.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join