It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is GPS free to use?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
As per the title, why do the US military allow free use to civilians of all countries to their GPS satellite signals.

I have become so reliant on the system that I now need it, and would be high and dry without it, so if I had to pay a subscription then I would happily do so, but I don't have to, because once you've bought the hardware or software, it's free, which is odd because we have to pay for everything that's any good.

These birds must have cost billions and billions of US Dollars, and the US taxpayer has paid for them, and then the service is given away free to anyone who wants it.

I appreciate that the military can switch them off to us or make them give false readings if they wish. It's not an urban myth about the GPS system going haywire on 911, I was using Sat-Nav on that day, and I was on the M11 near Stanstead UK and the Sat-Nav put me somewhere in France, I have no idea where in France, I was on my way home and knew the route, so after ten minutes of the thing trying to recalculate I turned it off and thought no more about it. I only recalled the fact a few years later when someone else mentioned the same experience.

But even my paranoid brain cannot come up with anything that could confirm the 'if it's too good to be true, then it probably is' theory relating to free GPS. The units don't send back signals so the military can't track us (or can they), maybe there are subliminal message being sent? or some form of mind control? Or when the time arrives, maybe the military will take over our receivers and direct us all to the edge of a cliff like lemmings?

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I feel that all the technology we get from the military (nearly all of modern life) is only released to civillans once it has become obsolete or a newer/better version has been developed. If we have access to this hi-tech GPS that can place you anywhere on the planet, you have to wonder what they have and don't show us. They might use it one day to control our minds, or it might just be yesterday's tech.

join