It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet Green-Links, spam ads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Here I thought it was one or two elective websites, but everywhere I'm seeing the internet being invaded by little green weblinks. When there's an ordinary word like 'business' it comes up green. Hovering over it is a advertisement for something completely unrelated. Is this going to get worse before it gets better? Where did they come from? Is there anything that can be done about it?

[edit on 9-9-2009 by saint4God]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Ooh! They're really irratating!
No matter how hard you try... You still manage to hover over one and they take ages to vanish!
And if you click on one with the middle button of your mouse, it opens a new tab, which makes my whole computer slow down for ages!

I have no idea how to fix them, but there are more appearing and I thought I should vent my fury.

There was about 12 in a recipie for fairy cakes I found.
I mean, c'mon!
Lmao

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Thank you for the validation and emotional support
. I was wondering why I hadn't heard about it before, other than I believe we're slowly turning towards an age where things done to us that do not inflict bodily harm are okay. Hopefully someone here can enlighten us on the origins and handling of these kinds of thorns.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
It's fine
They annoy the hell out of me as well.

Hmm, I've never really seen the point in them either, as all of them look exactly the same when you scroll over them. But you never used to see them much, now they're everywhere.
I was reading an old thread on here before I joined up and there were loads in the post and replies, but if your internet doesn't load it properly there are massive gaps. And on a slow day, you don't wanna be refreshing your page every time to read something you're interested in.

Maybe they're just one of those irratating things in life you've just gotta put up with and try and ignore? You know like when there's a fly in the room, and you open the window so it can get out, but it never does, even if it flies to the edge of the window frame? And the buzzings driving you mad but you can't catch it and don't wanna kill it, but it won't go away.
That does my head in

But yeah, hopefully someone can work out how to get rid of the damn things. (links, not flies; flies don't bother me unless they're in my house or biting me - failed attempt at humour there LOL)

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 06:29 AM
link   
No dice on ignoring, this is ATS! First it's little links on the internet, next it's a government official sleeping next to our beds, "Just ignore me, I'm here for informational purposes only". I kid of course, but think we're way too passive of a society and need to question the world we're supposed to be shaping a little more.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Yeah man, I know what you mean.
I wonder why they don't show up when you sign up though.
Thats a bit weird...

They are one of the most annoying things on the internet though! So pointless.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
It appears a lot of 'green-linking' has disappeared. Has anyone seen it around lately? I'm wondering if this is a result of the hosts pulling the ads off their sites or if there were new regulations regarding them.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Me again, hello!
When I signed back on after not being on for a while I forgot to log in and only noticed because of those stupid links!
I think they're still there.
They are for me anyway...
But it doesnt concern me too much when I'm actually logged in.
Like I've probably said before, its just a right pain when you middle click on one and it opens in a new tab and takes hoursss and slows everything down...

Merry Christmas!

top topics

join