It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Speeders in Rome had better watch out, the police just got a new toy !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Italian cops get a Lamborghini

ROME, Italy (AP) -- Italian drivers who like to use highways as their personal speed-tracks are about to lose the race.

Italy's state police presented a sleek new addition Friday: a Lamborghini Gallardo, with a top speed of 309 kph (192 mph).

The car is ready for service, bedecked with a siren, painted blue-and-white, and the word "POLIZIA" -- "police" -- stenciled on the side.

www.cnn.com...

They said the Lamborghini will be used on the Salerno-Reggio Calabria highway in southern Italy, for emergencies and to transport organs for transplant.

I wonder if emergencies will include high speed chases and does a car of this speed really need to be used by police, isn't it endangering the public if being driven at it's capable high speeds ?

[Edited on 14-5-2004 by elevatedone]

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Man, that car looks great. I wonder what the retail value on that baby is?

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ess Why Kay
Man, that car looks great. I wonder what the retail value on that baby is?

The six-speed, two-door luxury vehicle promises the ability to go from zero to 100 kph (60 mph) in four seconds, and has a list price of US$165,000 (euro145,180 in Europe).

I think I'll call and order one myself...

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 03:06 PM
link   

I wonder if emergencies will include high speed chases and does a car of this speed really need to be used by police, isn't it endangering the public if being driven at it's capable high speeds ?

well lets see, lets do some risk assessment shall we?

which is more dangerous?

john Q public speeding at whatever speed he feels like but isnt exactly trained to drive at such speeds or...
a cop who HAS been trained to drive at high speeds and has been taught how to perform chases?

the answer is pretty obvious to me. how about you?

logically speaking i wouldnt let a cop drive a lambo because of the price. or does the italian govt, get a break???

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   
this lambo, was donated to the police...

to answer your other question, yes I'd much rather have a trained officer driving this thing, but even they can make mistakes.

A5H

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure the police drivers aren't trained in driving a 600bhp, 200mph supercar!

Wonder how many officers start getting to work on time to get car choice......

Ash

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
and life is not without its risks. just driving to work is a risk. EVERYDAY you're praying like hell the psycho next to you, in front of you or behind you is at least paying attention to what they are doing.

but as with all risks...its a calculated one. sometimes bad things happens but thats life.

maybe if people didnt speed cops wouldnt chase them...imagine that! isnt that just...profound? baffling isnt it?

i hate bad drivers...its a really bad pet peeve of mine.

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Eh, if the driver makes a mistake its only going to happen once, because if he or she is in any gear other than first they will most likely die. I remember reading an article a while back about a police driving course that was taught using a Dodge Viper, so there is training available to the police to learn to drive something faster than a standard cruiser. Im suprised certain counties in California havent gotten similar cars that can keep up with the crotch rockets that seem to be so popular out that way, esp considering a factory Ninja can do 190, so with some after market work it could probably leave even the Lambo in its dust.

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Saw it on CNN, very good tool if its used well.

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   
You are corrct PM - we all take a huge risk every day, especially with road rage becoming what it has, if you don't actually have an accident, you could be attacked by another driver....

I try to be extra careful when driving and I take the advice my dad gave me when I first started driving...

ALWAYS WATCH OUT FOR THE OTHER GUY !!!

[Edited on 14-5-2004 by elevatedone]

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I think it's about time the italians are getting tough on speeders. I've been to Italy numerous times and it's not uncommon for some drivers to drive 2 or 3 times faster than the posted speed limit. It's also not uncommon for cars to pass other cars who are passing slower cars utilizing 2 lanes for 3 or 4 cars.
I must admit that it's usually american drivers I see driving like maniacs in the spirit of "driving like italians"

A5H

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Vipers are Front engined rear wheel drive cars, the lambo is a 4 wheel drive mid-engined beast. They don't handle similar, and I believe it was only in the US they were trained. Only thing is if the come up against a Mclaren F1 or something............

I can't really see this power and speed being neccesary......

Ash

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   
...Lamborghini Gallardo, with a top speed of 309 kph (192 mph). ? ? ?

WOW. Looks like the Roman Empire is Baaack!

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey

maybe if people didnt speed cops wouldnt chase them...imagine that! isnt that just...profound? baffling isnt it?

I hate bad drivers too. But my personal feeling on the speed thing is that people wouldn't speed in the first place if they didn't have a gazillion things to do in any given day, IE..it's basicallly their 'jobs' (said with the same sarcasm George Carlin might use) that keep 'em running. So I think we should blame the forces that be that make us all in a frigging hurry to begin with.

That said. My first impression of that car was "Wow !!!" and I'm not even a car person. But that car is the epitome of COOL.

My other thought "Hmmm...I wonder if Italian cops like donuts as much as American cops do ? Well, at least they'll beat the poor bastard civillians to the freshest donuts, if that's the case."

Hee Hee

[Edited on 14-5-2004 by KayEm]

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Wow, a Lamborghini! Cops are ridin in style now...i wonder if they will get Gucci to make their new uniforms to match..

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 07:52 AM
link   
We all know these Italians...they love fast cars, fancy clothes and close ties with the 'family'...I guess some cops found a way to drive a Lamborghini!!!

new topics

top topics

join