It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warming Brings Poisonous Ozone Down to Earth

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Warming Brings Poisonous Ozone Down to Earth

dsc.discovery.com

Sept. 9, 2009 -- Climate change could bring a cloud of poisonous ozone gas tumbling down from high in the atmosphere, according to a new study.

Aloft in the stratosphere, an enormous blanket ozone gas (O3) regulates the amount of ultraviolet radiation that hits Earth's surface. It's so essential to life that in 1989, most of the developed world banded together to sign the Montreal Protocol, which effectively ended the emission of any gases that damage the protective layer.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Global Warming, Ozone, Fragile Earth

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Scientists predict high-level ozone could return to normal levels by mid-century.

However, climate change is likely to interfere, altering global winds such that they will drag millions of tons of ozone down toward the planet's surface, where it becomes a greenhouse gas that is toxic to people and plants.

Globally, as much as 23 percent more ozone -- 151 million tons -- will be pouring its way down each year by the end of the century.

I don't know what I think about global warming. It seems more like a cyclic event that the earth goes through. However I thought I would share this article for those that research GW. This kind of reminds me of that movie Knowing

Enjoy!

dsc.discovery.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9-9-2009 by Aggie Man]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
DOOM DOOM DOOM.

Those scientists are worse than the worst fear mongerers on ATS or anywhere else on the internet for that matter.

SUBMIT TO A GLOBAL TAX OR YOUR CHILDREN WILL DIE!

PLEASE. The same thing was said by the priest back in the dark ages...be a christian or you'll burn for eternity in hell!

Those scientists are the new priests of this age and I'm sick of it.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I would be more inclined to believe them if they said we are due for a mini Ice Age. It is the end of a Gleissberg cycle and there are no sunspots so at least then there would be historical and physical evidence. It was predicted back in 2003 by Shahinaz Yousef of the Cario University. At the same time Hathaway of NASA was predicting a very strong Solar cycle 24. So far Shahinaz Yousef has been correct and Hathaway WRONG. link

There has also been game playing with the raw temperature data in the USA link I no longer believe the "official story" because I noticed this year that the actual real time temps during the day are always adjusted UP by 3 to 5 degrees F for my area by the next day. "Officially" it has been very warm every month this summer but my data records have shown it has been cool.

I am really getting sick of the US government lies

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
First of all, ozone is not poisonous. It is corrosive. There's a difference. Ozone is not some green cloud of nerve gas that will cause us to all black out and die coughing in a coma.

Second of all, ozone is welcomed by a lot of people who buy products like The Ionic Pro. The high voltage ionizes the air and produces...

drum roll please...

more drum roll...

wait for it...

OZONE!

Ozone is responsible for that clean fresh smell you smell after a thunderstorm has passed. It is also responsible for that sharp odor you smell just after a close lightning strike. The difference is the concentration of ozone and what happens to it after it is produced. That thunderstorm produces ozone by ionizing the oxygen in the air (via the lightning) and letting it recombine under electrostatic charge, similar to the way solar radiation works in the upper atmosphere. That ozone then drifts along until it finds an ionic contaminant, say a bit of nitrates. The ozone, being unstable, breaks down and oxidizes that contaminant into a solid form, which the rain can then wash out of the air.

The Ionic Pro does the exact same thing, but instead of washing the air, it uses electrostatic attraction to remove the contaminants.

Mind if I reword the title a bit?

"Warming brings natural air freshener down to earth"

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

A counter to that:.

There is a great deal of evidence to show that high concentrations of ozone, created by high concentrations of pollution and daylight UV rays at the Earth's surface, can harm lung function and irritate the respiratory system.[15][23] Long-term exposure to ozone has been shown to increase risk of death from respiratory illness. A study of 450,000 people living in United States cities showed a significant correlation between ozone levels and respiratory illness over the 18-year follow-up period. The study revealed that people living in cities with high ozone levels such as Houston or Los Angeles had an over 30% increased risk of dying from lung disease.[24][25]

A connection has also been known to exist between increased ozone caused by thunderstorms and hospital admissions of asthma sufferers.[26] Air quality guidelines such as those from the World Health Organization are based on detailed studies of what levels can cause measurable health effects. Exposure to ozone and the pollutants that produce it has been linked to premature death, asthma, bronchitis, heart attack, and other cardiopulmonary problems. According to scientists with the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), susceptible people can be adversely effected by ozone levels as low as 40 ppb.[27]

The Clean Air Act directs the EPA to set National Ambient Air Quality Standards for several pollutants, including ground-level ozone, and counties out of compliance with these standards are required to take steps to reduce their levels. In May 2008, the EPA lowered its ozone standard from 80 ppb to 75 ppb. This proved controversial, since the Agency's own scientists and advisory board had recommended lowering the standard to 60 ppb, and the World Health Organization recommends 51 ppb. Many public health and environmental groups also supported the 60 ppb standard. On the other hand, the EPA had already designated over 300 mostly urban counties as out of compliance, and lowering the standard to 75 ppb put hundreds more in non-compliance. Lowering it further to 60 ppb would likely have left most of the US in non-compliance. Manufacturers, employers, and others argued that the cost of compliance with the lower standard would be prohibitive.[27] The EPA has also developed an Air Quality Index to help explain air pollution levels to the general public. Eight-hour average ozone concentrations of 85 to 104 ppb are described as "Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups", 105 ppb to 124 ppb as "unhealthy" and 125 ppb to 404 ppb as "very unhealthy".[28]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Info. on Ionic Pro...from IONIC PRO:

Unfortunately, ozone has little potential to actually remove air contaminants. In high enough doses, it can even be toxic to humans and pets.

SOURCE: www.ionicproturbo.com...

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
So is it Global Warming or Global climate change these days? More fear mongering by these scientists that don't want their funds to dry up.

Poisonous Ozone...
...Oh no I'm scared. When can I start paying my carbon tax to save the world....

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
DOOM DOOM DOOM.

Those scientists are worse than the worst fear mongerers on ATS or anywhere else on the internet for that matter.

SUBMIT TO A GLOBAL TAX OR YOUR CHILDREN WILL DIE!

PLEASE. The same thing was said by the priest back in the dark ages...be a christian or you'll burn for eternity in hell!

Those scientists are the new priests of this age and I'm sick of it.

I don't know what age you're living in, but those priests are still around and the Vatican isn't going through a recession, if you get my drift. These people are still extremely powerful and influential.

And I pray that the ozone remain and that it doesn't come down and beat us to death with it's rage. I remember when the ozone was dying, and now, based on this evidence, maybe we should have finished it off then.

[edit on 9-9-2009 by BaronVonGodzilla]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

The key phrase is "in high concentrations".

From Wikipedia:

Ozone is a powerful oxidizing agent, far better than dioxygen. It is also unstable at high concentrations, decaying to ordinary diatomic oxygen (in about half an hour in atmospheric conditions)

The key to realizing that this is a bunch of fear-mongering is realizing that ozone does not survive more than 30 minutes on average under normal conditions. The only reason there is an ozone layer above us is that the solar radiation continually reverses the breakdown and forms new ozone. This radiation does not exist at ground levels, meaning there is no (appreciable amount of) ozone produced to counter that rapid breakdown into oxygen.

If such radiation did exist, there is no force on earth that could prevent the ground-level ozone level from becoming terribly corrosive and probably unable to support life. It is formed from oxygen; remove the oxygen, and the worry about ozone becomes moot.

Also, from Wikipedia:

This reaction proceeds more rapidly with increasing temperature and decreasing pressure.

In other words, the (mythological) warming that is (supposedly) causing this problem will in itself lessen the problem as the ozone breaks down more rapidly in warmer temperatures. Oh, and don't forget to realize that the air temperature is considerably warmer at ground level than at the ozone layer.

I do not dispute the fact that high concentrations of ozone can be harmful. I dispute whether a minor rise in temperature can create ground-level ozone concentrations that are anywhere close to the level required to be harmful.

Now, as to Ionic Pro...

But they do more than simply destroy unpleasant odors, such as secondhand smoke, air pollution drifting in from outside the home, kitchen and bathroom smells, and pet odors, although they do, in fact, do all of that (and do it beautifully). They also remove allergens, including pollen, dust, mold spores, and pet dander. Many, including the Ionic Pro Turbo, also feature germicidal properties, that instantly kill any harmful bacteria and viruses which cone into contact with its germicidal chamber. Its Oxygen PlusTM filter actually turns smog and ozone into pure oxygen. It's even energy efficient. And its beauty doesn't stop there, either. The Ionic Pro Turbo actually has a substantially lower price than many other competing room air purifiers.
Source: www.ionicproturbo.com...

Now exactly how do they do this? It's simple; I built one back years ago.

Air containing contaminants is passed through a high-voltage plate array, which ionizes the air. The oxygen ionizes and will reform into ozone. The only difference between what this site is calling an 'ozone cleaner' and what they are calling an 'ionizer' is what happens after the air is ionized into ozone. In this unit, more high-voltage plates actually attract pollutants as they are ionized into solids rather than gases by the ozone, which are then collected in a filter. The filter itself uses electrostatic attraction to make sure the fine particles are pulled from the air and into the collection system.

Notice what they call their filter: the OxygenPlus! There are only three forms of oxygen known: elemental (O), which exists a low concentration any time ozone is produced, regular diatomic oxygen we breath (O2), and ozone (O3). Ozone will destroy any bacteria in the air, since the corrosive nature combined with the microscopic size of the organisms means extremely low levels are deadly to them.

Remember you are reading an advertisement. They want you to buy their product. While it is a pretty good gadget, from what I have heard, they will still not tell you the things that might make you not want to buy it. Things like, it produces ozone, it's just an improvement (filtration-wise) on the ozone generators, or it contains extremely high electrical voltages inside it. They will tell you all about the advantages of their "new system", like the fact that it is not directly the ozone that cleans the air; it is the ozone and its chemical effects on pollution that make the air better able to be cleaned. They'll tell you how well it does at destroying bacteria, without mentioning that it is the ozone creation which accomplishes this. They'll tell you how small the particles are that they can filter, without mentioning that they can only filter them that small because of the electrostatic attraction in the unit.

You're one of those people that buy things from the checkout displays, aren't you?

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
You're one of those people that buy things from the checkout displays, aren't you?

TheRedneck

Thank you for judging me! And no, I wouldn't buy the ionic pro or any other such gadget...checkout display or otherwise.

Hey, you are the one that posted that link...

Second of all, ozone is welcomed by a lot of people who buy products like The Ionic Pro. The high voltage ionizes the air and produces...

are you trying to sell them? Are you not the one placing the Ionic Pro on my virtual "checkout display"?

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I wonder why mankind hasn't dissapeared from the face of the Earth, alongside all animals, and even plants during times when the Earth was much warmer than it is now?...

Just another excuse by the AGW proponents to tax us into compliance with more lies, fear, and propaganda....

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Thank you for judging me! And no, I wouldn't buy the ionic pro or any other such gadget...checkout display or otherwise.

Nah, not judging you, just curious. I'm glad to hear you don't believe everything you hear in an ad.

Hey, you are the one that posted that link...

Yeah, I did, in order to point out that this is a fear tactic only. If ozone were as dangerous as this report makes it out to be, there would be a lot of people dead already from 'ozone poisoning'. It is produced at low altitudes by thunderstorms and by our own gadgets designed specifically to produce it.

are you trying to sell them? Are you not the one placing the Ionic Pro on my virtual "checkout display"?

Hey, buy one if you want; I don't care. I have no stock in, do not own any, and do not sell air purifiers (except for the one I built, which was disassembled because I needed that power supply for another project). Personally I think they make fine toys, they do help a little with air quality, but they are pretty pricey for what they do. They also tend to 'break' quite regularly. High voltage is hard to control and typically any commercial products that use it tend to be under-designed to keep the production costs down. If I wanted one,I would probably build it.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Well, hello Electric! Hey, with this scare, I think I am going to produce ozone-safe gas masks. Want a piece of that pie?

If you can't beat 'em, charge 'em.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
gee, Ozone is good for you, 'poisonous gas '? they are lying freaks

wtf is wrong with these scientist, gee, that's not even funny

here more info on Ozone educate-yourself.org...

(i got Ozone Air-generator from china supplier - sleep like a baby and waking up fresh)

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   

reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Well, hello Electric! Hey, with this scare, I think I am going to produce ozone-safe gas masks. Want a piece of that pie?

If you can't beat 'em, charge 'em.

TheRedneck

Hey, can I be your partner?

I am sure we can make enough money to start a franchise.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Some of you need to brush up on your science and stop spreading your ignorance...

en.wikipedia.org...

There is a great deal of evidence to show that high concentrations of ozone, created by high concentrations of pollution and daylight UV rays at the Earth's surface, can harm lung function and irritate the respiratory system.[15][23] Long-term exposure to ozone has been shown to increase risk of death from respiratory illness. A study of 450,000 people living in United States cities showed a significant correlation between ozone levels and respiratory illness over the 18-year follow-up period. The study revealed that people living in cities with high ozone levels such as Houston or Los Angeles had an over 30% increased risk of dying from lung disease.[24][25]

....Exposure to ozone and the pollutants that produce it has been linked to premature death, asthma, bronchitis, heart attack, and other cardiopulmonary problems.....

So kindly, do everyone a favor and RESEARCH BEFORE YOU POST! PLEASE!

Thanks

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nines
Some of you need to brush up on your science and stop spreading your ignorance...

en.wikipedia.org...
Thanks

geee, wikipedia is all sold-out to 'science' makers, least trustful source

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Nines

There is a great deal of evidence to show that high concentrations of ozone, created by high concentrations of pollution and daylight UV rays at the Earth's surface, can harm lung function and irritate the respiratory system.(emphasis mine)
Source: en.wikipedia.org...

To start with, this is talking about high concentrations. I think I have explained in depth already why such high concentrations could not exist for any length of time at low elevations. But that's not why I replied with this post.

You know, I tend to use Wiki quite a bit when talking about certain subjects. It's an easy and quick link, with generally low-tech explanations for someone wanting to understand about a subject. But from time to time I come across tidbits like this which make me feel uneasy about using them for reference.

Notice the highlighted part above. Now, please research out and explain to me exactly how pollution contributes to the production of ozone. Please. Ozone has, since recorded history, acted as an oxidizer. That means it tends to destroy pollutants by oxidizing with them. Now unless the basic tenets of chemistry have changed somehow in the last decade, the above article can hereby be declared to be, at best, suspect.

Unless you can explain to me the mechanism by which sulfur compounds, nitrous compounds, or carbon compounds can mutate into oxygen atoms...

My apologies to everyone on this thread for even introducing a link with such an obvious error in it. I did not see it until now.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Ozone is formed in the lower levels of the atmosphere by complex photochemical reactions between VOCs [volatle organic comounds], NOx, and oxygen. The reason that pine forests have such high ozone concentrations is that they emit large amounts of VOCs. That is also why VOCs are controlled though use of water based paints, gasoline vaopr traps, and other such technology. The link below and links contained within will help explain it further. The site is comprehensible to anyone that has had a basic chemistry course.

earthobservatory.nasa.gov...

Ozone is a great water purifier and is used in Europe far more than in the US. The US tends to use chlorine in primary treatment which is the prime generator of chlorocarbons in drinking water. Europe uses ozone in primary treatment and only adds a little chlorine to keep the water sanitary as it is being piped to the end users. As I remember, ozone is also a terrific viricide. That being said, ozone will also go after human tissue. Under the right conditions it will damage lungs and eyes. Interestingly, I know of a German physician who injected it in leg arteries to treat something called a decubitis ulcer. "The poison is in the dose."

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join