It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Girl Scouts prepare for war, pestilence - DHS's new recruits

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
While I cannot speak specifically on the Girl Scouts of America, since boys, or grown men are not allowed (I would look silly in a skirt, a kilt maybe, but no skirts, thank you), I am an adult member of the Boy Scouts of America.

I find it dismally offending that people speak about an organization, without ever having been a part of it themselves, whether you agree with the Government or not, and I have my qualms about the Government, you should actually know about self-reliance, self-esteem, and honorable values that are taught, before trashing an organization and equivalating them with the Little Orphan Annie's Nazi youth.

Since no one has bothered posting any sort of website references, I went and found these for people to actually look at the good parts of what this organization that is supposed to teach values for young girls and young women.

Wikipedia : Girl Scouts of America

Girl Scouts of America : National Website

In order to Deny Ignorance you must first deny knowing everything, and explore what you do not know, in order to fully understand both sides of the issue.

If you only view one side of a coin, you only see the heads, and cannot see if the other side is tails, or in fact whether the coin is a two-headed coin and you are in fact gyping yourself out of knowing whether you are truly blind to the intelligence you thought you had, and you had only half the story.

Without intelligent thought the world would be turned into a smoldering ashen wasteland, and you just might need those who are taught to be prepared to assist you, and if they were to know you thrash them, they will still reach out their hand and offer assistance whether you like them or not.

Next thing you know, people will start saying the United Nations is training children as Peacekeepers.

U.N.S.C. and 2012 : Political Ideologies, Nations United, and Views on Terrorism : Conflict Earth

[edit on 9-9-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

Thats a good point. I was a Boy Scout. They teach survival and self reliance.

However Citizens Corps is a whole different bag of potato chips, which are now targeting orginizations like Boy Scouts and Girls Couts of America under direction of Homeland Security and FEMA.

I will not be boycotting any girl scout cookies unless the FEMA and /or Homeland Security logos start appearing on the packaging.

[edit on 9-9-2009 by 12.21.12]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jankopernik

Do you really feel that, in the aftermath of a catastrophic event, it would be important for little girls to be trained to respond to emergencies?

In all honesty, half of the adult population would be reduced to children themselves. What could you tell a child in a bright and happy fashion that would ready them in any way for a disaster?

It would be more wise to educate their parents who might lead them unknowingly to dangerous situations.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by 12.21.12

Well, according to some on here at ATS, if you were to boycott the G.S.A. for their cookies, you had better watch out, they might have a M-16.

All kidding aside, America does need volunteers to assist these organizations.

What better way to get a look at what's going on then joining and seeing for yourself?

And, here's what really gets me, if people want to see it change, become a part of it, and make that change happen from within, since being a member is free, you have nothing to lose.

[edit on 9-9-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Clearly what we see here is Homeland Security throwing money towards groups that already have good organization. Not just GSA but it is funneled through Citizens Corps and trickled down from there to other groups like ACORN.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by TeddiRevolution

I am not under any delusions that the girl scouts or boy scouts would be expected to rush into a disaster zone and render aid, I would expect what they did learn in the program would help their family prepare for likely scenarios.

If the program is done right the parents/guardians of the youth would also be involved in the preparations, such as deciding on what food items to store in the emergency kit, alternate meeting locations if the family home is inaccessible, etc.

If the youth prepare family emergency kits, are aware of likely emergency scenarios in their area such as weather, industrial accident, train derailment, etc and develop a plan with their families on how they would react, then perhaps we have less people that need assistance. They are prepared, just like their motto states.

Please note I keep referring to likely scenarios. While working on the badge requirements with our cub pack we did not discuss potential emergencies such as earthquake, hurricane, plane crash as they are unlikely in our area. Besides, when talking about cubs, we are talking about kids that are 8 - 10 years of age, we don't need to scare them with all the worlds problems.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Two thoughts;

Having younger people, like kids, be ready for anything in the event of an emergency is a good thing, at least I would think. everyday there are hundreds of posts on this site about that very thing, so i dont have a problem with that-

Having the kids go in and "clear a house" with the chemical division?!? what are they teach them to do? raid meth labs?!?!

[edit on 9-9-2009 by drsmooth23]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by drsmooth23

If you read the manuals available at the CitizensCorps website for pandemic preparedness you should note that part of the CERT's role in such an event is to respond to an event and the citizens police is to help enforce vaccinations and quarantines. However the citizenscorps itself is completely vague and does not provide details of who it's recruits are and what age group they are.

The role of citizens being recruited and acting as police is something we should all be concerned about.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Just one more indoctrination of our children.

They are after our kids, don't say you weren't warned.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   

hahaha I understand where your coming from, but unless they have a desert eagle pointed at my temple I like to think I could fight off about ten freaky Childern-of-the-corn-ish type assailants, haha.

Teaching anyone to keep a calm head in times of disaster can exponentially increase ones chance of a thriving survival.

young people should be taught general first aid and CPR and stuff.

I understand them donning the gear for the photo-op, but still it seems a little unsettling, haha

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by RoofMonkey

Ted Nugent?!?

He likes girl scout cookies and guns!
You're killing me..

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

I don't see whats wrong with having young people be prepared for dealing with emergency situations. The Boy Scouts have similar programs, I would have expected the Girl Scouts to already have had such a program. Your title is pretty misleading to be honest, based on the article.

At our Summer Day camp 2 years ago we had somebody from Homeland Security come talk about emergency preparedness. It was no big deal and the Cub Scouts had a good time listening to him and maybe even learned something. Then they went to get soaked by a fire truck ladder company. No lasting indoctrination that I could see the following year.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by pavil

The CERT program is a crash course for children and senior citizens to respond to a pandemic scenario.

This type of education often times is a four year degree where people must become certified in all areas of the field before they are allowed to work in the field. Not to mention education, knowing CPR as well as being certified as well as having the proper equipment, such as a mouthpiece to protect from transmission of disease.

You don't see anything wrong with this?

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Where exactly in the OP link does it refer to CERT training and the Girl Scouts? You are making this more than it is.

The preparedness patch program, developed by the Girl Scout Council of the Nation's Capital and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), provides critical emergency preparedness information and activities for all levels of Girl Scouts.

The steps and activities required to receive the patch include identifying and preparing for potential emergencies; learning about local alerts and warning systems; and engaging in community service.

www.gscnc.org...

[edit on 12-9-2009 by pavil]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

Within the link from the original post.

The unveiling of the patch marks a partnership between the scouts and Citizen Corps, a community-based initiative under the DHS's Federal Emergency Management Agency, which coordinates national response to disasters.

CERT is community emergeny response team ran by citizenscorps.

[edit on 12-9-2009 by 12.21.12]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
i wouldnt normally see this as an idoctrination had it not been for this admins policy of reaching towards community organizing. with this being on the heals of the snitch website that the gov set up for people that heard stuff about healthcare along with alot of his past speeches i see something terribly wrong with this. yeah, its good for little kids to be prepared for emergency situations. we all were given a lil education in that dept (i.e. duck and cover, cpr, etc.) when we went to school. but teaching children to "sucessfully clear a house" is taking it a step further. and why does the dhs even have to be involved with this? or fema? if you want to teach kids how to be prepared to reacte to emergency situations like a terrorist attack it doesnt take special training, just some common sense.

along with this article www.nytimes.com...
something is up. there is no need for kids to train to become anti-terro groups is rediculous. if they wanted to do that, just have them wait a couple of years n join the military

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Nowhere in the article does it state the Girl Scouts are getting fullblown CERT training, nor are they going to be terrorist hunters. It's a silly little patch for teaching some basic emergency preparedness and response.

"Be prepared" is both the Girl and Boy Scout mottos. Considering that most of our youth nowadays can't even handle being responsible for themselves up and getting dressed, I don't think its a bad thing.

Dizzie, the NYtimes article is about an explorer post, it has been discussed here before. Explorer Posts are career specific groups, quite a few of which are law enforcement related.

[edit on 13-9-2009 by pavil]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Now that's a post worthy of a star.

I do support young people learning emergency response skills however I'm less comfortable when they do it under the DHS (government).

Remember in "1984" the state indoctrinated children first so that over the next generations there would be more acceptance of authority.

Just saying that people should be wary.

[edit on 14/9/09 by Chilled Zen]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Chilled Zen

Thank you.

Love the avatar by the way.

I agree and I can even see some of what is being said within the original post.

What is often missed here, not that I am condoning the actions of teaching them to clear houses, that was stupid by whoever did that, but these places are not well set up for children, they do not have coloring books and Kool-Aid for children touring them.

Even if they did then people would say the coloring books were propaganda and the Kool-Aid was laced with something to get the kids to go along.

The real question is whether people are prepared and will they make the right decision or the wrong decision when that decision really matters and as well will they show compassion or blind ignorance.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join