It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N. Ireland police investigate massive bomb

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   

N. Ireland police investigate massive bomb

edition.cnn.com

(CNN) -- Police in Northern Ireland were investigating Wednesday after "reckless criminal terrorists" planted a 600-pound bomb along a country road.

The bomb was aimed at killing police officers, a spokeswoman for the Police Service of Northern Ireland said Wednesday. No arrests have been made, police said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Wow that's pretty ridiculous. A 600 pound bomb, just hidden waiting to go off eh?

I wonder what kind of group will be taking responsibility if any?

Is this still all art of the tension between ireland and the UK? I am not an expert on the subject, perhaps somebody could shed more light on it?

The bomb is part of a recent rise in political violence in Northern Ireland, in which dissident Republicans are targeting the police and British Army, with the aim of disrupting the peace process, said Brendan O'Duffy, a professor at the University of London who researches the region's conflict.

The artcle does not place blame on any one faction, which I find odd for a place like CNN.

Any thoughts ATS?

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I am from the Uk and i did not hear anything about this on the news. Strange there was spell in N.Ireland about 2 months ago where the bad things that were happening started to be reported abit more.

other than that i've not heard much.

thanks for this post.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
It is the Real IRA, who reportedly have secured funding and equipment from Hezbollah (according to an ex Real IRA member)

Widely reported on the BBC.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Here we go again, the Irish will be reverting back to their favorite hobby - killing each other.

It has always amazed me that of all the northern first world nations, Ireland stands out as the one that so closely mimics the rabid violence and racial hatred of third world countries.

Quite the anomaly.

Oh, and good luck Brits, looks like you're going to need it.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I say this is a false flag to garner support for another Anglo-Irish war so that the evil British can steal more land from poor, starving Irish children.

Oh, wait... wrong conspiracy.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Republican splinter group Oglaigh na hEireann have claimed responsibility. Apparently they told journalist Suzanne Breen (source u.tv) that the bomb had to be abandoned because of security force activity while they were in the area. They say they told two media broadcasters (unamed) that the bomb was left there ten days before but it wasn't made public until yesterday.

But, i suppose it could always be false, there have been no pictures of the bomb, it could be an attempt to discourage support for the dissidents in a key area of support for them....who knows???

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
My money says false flag. The British Government is investing a great deal of time and money trying to convince the public that domestic and international terrorism is an ongoing and real threat.
Furthermore the idea that the security forces merely stumbled over this device is itself suspect. All the Irish terrorist groups have been heavily infriltrated by the British intelligence services since the late 70's.
The FRU would have known this was happening before the first bag of fertilizer was bought

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by obeah6

There has been a picture of the bomb. It was a Land Rover, left as a roadside bomb - members of the public became suspicious. The worrying conclusion is the bomb was sophisticated towards the levels of the Provisional IRA.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   
just irish republicans doing what they do best, hating and attempting to kill

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
This is a very small minority of Irish Republicans who are trying to derail the peace process.

Nothern Ireland is not perfect, where is, but great efforts, on both sides, have been made to ensure that this peace will last.

These terrorists are simply gangsters who resent their loss of power and control and every effort should be made to root them out.

There is no place for these evil scum bags in a modern Northern Ireland.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I read about this on Skynews website but thought it not worth mentioning here on ATS, hoever i suppose i should say that i'm glad it didn't go off coz that was a biggie... 600 pounds!! damn! A few people would have got hurt had that gone off.....

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I read about this on Skynews website but thought it not worth mentioning here on ATS, hoever i suppose i should say that i'm glad it didn't go off coz that was a biggie... 600 pounds!! damn! A few people would have got hurt had that gone off.....

hey we here in america can blow our own people up too, ya'know!!...you guys don't have a monopoly on it ...we have those patriotic christian extremists murdering doctors and blowing up abortion clinics all over the place...in the name of god of course...but we don't call them terrorists, we call them devout christians!! don't you guys get it?? religion is about peace and love and blowing up people that disagree with you.

[edit on 10-9-2009 by jimmyx]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
hey we here in america can blow our own people up too, ya'know!!...you guys don't have a monopoly on it ...we have those patriotic christian extremists murdering doctors and blowing up abortion clinics all over the place...in the name of god of course...but we don't call them terrorists, we call them devout christians!! don't you guys get it?? religion is about peace and love and blowing up people that disagree with you.

You have a nation of several hundred million people

How many abortion doctors have been kileld by "patriotic Christian extremists" in the last 5 years.

In northern ireland, in a population of 1.5 million, we managed to slaughter over 3,000 people in the conflict.

How many murders are carried out each year in the US, and what percentage do the murders of doctors who abort babies represent

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

don't you guys get it?? religion is about peace and love and blowing up people that disagree with you.

Im not sure if im missing your point here coz some of you have weird senses of humour but:

Catholic vs Protestant was one of the big "killing points" in the troubles so much of it came down solely to religion more so than freedom from the Empire.

[edit on 10/9/09 by Dermo]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo

Im not sure if im missing your point here coz some of you have weird senses of humour but:

Catholic vs Protestant was one of the big "killing points" in the troubles so much of it came down solely to religion more so than freedom from the Empire.

to be honest the religion thing was more of a seconday marker to crudely denote nationality, ie british or irish

Neither the UDA/UVF or IRA/INLA was going out and committing murders to further the spread of Christianity (be it the protestant or roman catholic version)

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I feel sorry for the people of Northen Ireland, they don't want this! They just want to get on with life and live in peace. Like everwhere else in the world it has its bad areas with trouble makers. Fighting or killing won't get anybody anywhere. If it did i think we would have seen the results by now!

Tsom87

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Didn't someone say that the only way to solve terrorism is to absorb the militants into the political process?

Well Sinn Fein is now well and truly absorbed into the process, and NI now has home rule. So what's the beef?

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

The leaders (McGuinness and Adams) joined up for the gravy train... sorry the political process, but the underlying resentment towards the British is still there.

The republican movement wants independence from Britain, not representation in our parliament or devolved rule.

Sinn Fein and the IRA are perceived as British stooges these days who have betrayed the cause.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder

Originally posted by Dermo

to be honest the religion thing was more of a seconday marker to crudely denote nationality, ie british or irish

Neither the UDA/UVF or IRA/INLA was going out and committing murders to further the spread of Christianity (be it the protestant or roman catholic version)

True, I've always wondered if your average loyalist could actually tell you what protestantism is and why it came into being or even if an average republican could explain the difference between the two religions....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join