It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Obama faces 30 death threats a day, a 400 percent increase over those against George W. Bush"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I have quite a hard time believing this story, considering how disliked or even hated Bush was in soooo many circles.
3rd.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by calihan_12

Some people don't like to think that terrorist exist. They like to put them in the same category as Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy. Terrorists give the "Blame America First" crowd massive head aches. Ask them who they trust more, America or Terrorists, and their freaking heads will explode.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by mpriebe81

The hatred for Bush was out in the open. What we're going through now is the out-in-the-open hatred as we see on TV and hear on radio, but there's also a covert hatred. People don't want to be thought of as racist, but I honestly believe that that's why the numbers are so high. That's really the only explanation. After all, people say he's another Carter, or the third Bush term. What other possible explanation could there be? Carter and Bush didn't have these numbers.

I'm not by any means saying that everyone who dislikes Obama is racist. Not at all. But I believe strongly that his race is a factor in the 400% numbers.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
delete

[edit on 9-9-2009 by john124]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by calihan_12
HAHA you actually believe what the government tells you? are you really that in the dark that you dont know 9/11 was an inside job? look... even some of the not-so-smart people i know, along with extreme conservatives know it was an inside job. it doesnt take a highly intelligent person to figure that one out.

It's not a matter of belief or faith unless you believe in false logic and misused science that the truther movement portray.

You have to look at the truther's so-called explanations on their own merit, and they have flimsy or non-existing evidence.

The not-so-smart people you know are exactly the type of people who fall for the pseudo-science rubbish.

Who do you distrust the most - islamic terrorists or the US govt.?

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by john124
WHAT?? Are you so naive as to judge somebody on their appearance? His mother was white, that's a fact! Why can't people just accept we are all human beings whatever #ing colour we are!

Duh. I'm not one of the hysterical bunch all in a tizzy over the man. I'm not sure you read or comprehended my earlier post.

So let me try again.

It is my opinion that if his name was John Smith and he looked Caucasian and everything else was exactly the same as it is, the level of hysteria, hatred and threats against the man would be considerably less than it is now.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by calihan_12
HAHA you actually believe what the government tells you? are you really that in the dark that you dont know 9/11 was an inside job? look... even some of the not-so-smart people i know, along with extreme conservatives know it was an inside job. it doesnt take a highly intelligent person to figure that one out.

It's not a matter of belief or faith unless you believe in false logic and misused science that the truther movement portray.

You have to look at the truther's so-called explanations on their own merit, and they have flimsy or non-existing evidence.

The not-so-smart people you know are exactly the type of people who fall for the pseudo-science rubbish.

Who do you distrust the most - islamic terrorists or the US govt.?

oh thats easy, the US govt

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Open_Minded Skeptic

WHAT?? Are you so naive as to judge somebody on their appearance? His mother was white, that's a fact! Why can't people just accept we are all human beings whatever #ing colour we are!

Duh. I'm not one of the hysterical bunch all in a tizzy over the man. I'm not sure you read or comprehended my earlier post.

So let me try again.

It is my opinion that if his name was John Smith and he looked Caucasian and everything else was exactly the same as it is, the level of hysteria, hatred and threats against the man would be considerably less than it is now.

Aha, yes you were just saying that some people will make that judgement. Sorry, my mistake.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
You guys are entirely missing the point here. This 400% increase isn't coming from your usual nutjob lunatic fringe. This is being fanned by a well-organized and well-funded extreme right. And not within the government. These people substantially lost their powerbase when the GOP got tossed primarily because they mismanaged the economy. They let the looting and pillaging go too far and couldn't reign it in before the damage was done. People reacted and the GOP was kicked to the curb.

Ever since then they have been waging a war to discredit the Democrats, the Administration and Obama in anty and every way they can. All of these outlandish distortions from the healthcare debate, Cheney's security accusations, all of it. It's managed by the right using GOP mouthpieces to put it out there. It is inteded to be emotionally charged and incite violence and discord. That is their plan. Their intent is to reinstate their powerbase at all and any cost.

Thei biggest fear is that Obama actually stabilizes the economy and improves things both here and internationally. That would be a knife to the heart of the right. They can't let it happen. The country means nothing to them as a nation. Only as a host for their powerbase so they can do their business. You've heard one of their biggest mouthpieces, Rush Limbaugh, say it openly. He wants Obama to fail. Now what reasonable person would want the President to fail when the country is already teetering o the brink? And for what purpose?

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by john124

No worries... and my apologies for the slighty snarky tone in my last reply...

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   

If that was the case, this inexperienced nutjob would have never been elected in the first place. If anything this guy was elected BECAUSE he was black.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
So does this mean that there are 400% more of us than them, so to speak?

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

How naive. Things had gotten so screwed-up under the previous Administration that almost anyone could have beaten the GOP. As everything came unglued people became fed up to here with the BS and obvious incompetence and arrogance. Any change was needed and it was obvious the GOP didn't 'get it'.

And don't bother flaming me. I voted Ron Paul.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
How to respond in a non-partisan way...Well I will just try honesty.

I REALLY did not like President "W" Bush. Not his policies, his demeanor...nothing. I literally fought back tears when he won office for a second term.

BUT he was our President. President of the United States of America..
My country elected him democratically.

Any threats upon his life I would have taken personally as an American.

Barack Obama is our President. And like his predesscor I feel that all the discussion of policy, race and politics offers no excuses for threatening the life of our President.

Unexcusable...just my opinion.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

The hatred for Bush was out in the open. What we're going through now is the out-in-the-open hatred as we see on TV and hear on radio, but there's also a covert hatred. People don't want to be thought of as racist, but I honestly believe that that's why the numbers are so high. That's really the only explanation. After all, people say he's another Carter, or the third Bush term.

What other possible explanation could there be? Carter and Bush didn't have these numbers. I'm not by any means saying that everyone who dislikes Obama is racist. Not at all. But I believe strongly that his race is a factor in the 400% numbers.

What other possible explanation could there be? You have got to be kidding
Race has NOTHING to do with it. I think the death threats are from those who see him as a usurper intent on destroying this country and there is certainly evidence they are correct.

Remember when Obama was elected the unemployment was around 3%.

Six months later
1. the unemployment is over 16%,
2. the economy has gone down the tubes
3. the national debt has doubled
4. the dollar is set to bomb
5. the banks refuse to help people renegotiate loans or tell what they did with the money
6. bail out money is going to Obama's friends as pay back for getting him elected.

Meanwhile the Democrats in Congress are pushing
1. a Food Safety bill designed to remove independent farmers from their land jeopardizing our food supply
2. a Cap and Trade bill that not only pushes our energy cost sky high but guarantees new industry will locate in China or India.
3. a Health Care bill while tax payers have no way to pay for it

We are heading into a depression with all our props kicked out as our country is sold off piece meal. If this country does not bankrupt and end up with a SAP I will be surprised.

"Structural Adjustment Policies are economic policies which countries must follow in order to qualify for new World Bank and International Monetary Fund (IMF) loans and help them make debt repayments on the older debts owed to commercial banks, governments and the World Bank.... SAPs often result in deep cuts in programmes like education, health and social care, and the removal of subsidies designed to control the price of basics such as food and milk. So SAPs hurt the poor most..."

If I can see Obama and the democratic Congress sold us out to the Banksters and the Corporate cartels. than others certainly can and some may consider it their patriotic duty to protect the country. (no I do not condone such action I just want to vote someone honest
in

I am amazed that the US government, in the midst of the worst financial crises ever, is content for short-selling to drive down the asset prices that the government is trying to support....The bald fact is that the combination of ignorance, negligence, and ideology that permitted the crisis to happen still prevails and is blocking any remedy. Either the people in power in Washington and the financial community are total dimwits or they are manipulating an opportunity to redistribute wealth from taxpayers, equity owners and pension funds to the financial sector. Paul Craig Roberts was Assistant Secretary of the Treasury www.countercurrents.org...

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by crimvelvet

Remember when Obama was elected the unemployment was around 3%.

Six months later
1. the unemployment is over 16%,

Well according to the Bureau of Labor Stats...the unemployment rate was 7.6 when he was elected? And is at 9.7 now?

data.bls.gov...

2% difference vs 14% difference? Where are you getting your numbers? World Net Daily? Rush?

BTW - We are in the midst of slight economic downturn...in case you haven't noticed.

Edit to Add: OK I have googled around and have found no numbers that support what you are saying. Please provide a link or admit you made them up for the sake of partisan rhetoric....enough of the BS already.

[edit on 9-9-2009 by maybereal11]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by dariousg

The problem is that Bush didn't want to take that right away from them. Now, granted, this is in poor taste. And pretty stupid when you come to think of it. However, to call people 'freaks' for truly doing what is their right in a nation that you (assuming you truly are American) live in is pretty narrow minded.

Threatening to kill ANYONE is not their right. Threaten to kill someone publicly and you go to jail because it is illegal to do so here int he USA. There is no room for discussion on this.

If you are merely talking about people bearing arms, sure that is fine and I support it 100% I am just drawing a parallel between the massive increase in death threats to the president and the fact that people are carrying fire arms to his events. I am in no way saying 'bearing arms' or supporting it makes anyone a freak, I strongly support heir rights. Just so we are clear.

Edit to add: The right is not the only ones resorting to violence though the generalization that simply because someone carries a gun means they will do violence is pretty narrow minded again.

You are correct such simple correlations is very narrow minded. However we have seen a MASSIVE increase in both the purchase of arms and ammo. We have seen demonstrations where people bring fire arms to presidential events, we also have seen presidential assassination threats rise 400%.

These are obviously connected. This does not mean everyone with gun is a threat, far from it. It does however highlight the existence of a extremist faction within the country that thinks violence is the solution to our problems and that threatening life is a justifiable method to achieving their goals.

This is freakish madness.

The left side of the political spectrum is resorting to similar actions but with physical confrontations instead of the visual ones. The problem is that one of those left wing union thugs is going to touch the family member of one of those right wing gun toting nuts and someone's going to get shot.

I believe that there was ONE physical confrontation with the union 'thugs' and one with a 'finger biting freak'. The left in my humble opinion has shown itself to be MUCH less violent than the right. Presidential death threats have increase 400% from Bush to Obama. Bush was the most hated republican president of all times and yet threats against his life were 400% lower than Obama's. The comparison is simple.

Thanks for sharing your points if view all the same mate.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
As I admittedly so often fail at clearly saying what i want to, or mean to I feel it is important to take this opportunity to clarify what I intended this thread to point out.

First and foremost I did not want this to be a thread that seeks to paint the 'right' and 'republicans' as all bad. Far from it.

My main goal is to point out the growing insanity that permeates our current political discourse here in the USA.

While right-left and all the other political divides here in the USA have always been at odds there is a growing tension that I fear will lead to violence.

I am worried that our better senses are slipping and we are currently sliding into the dark and terrifying world of extremism that could potentially rip this nation to shreds.

I apologize for not being clear on this in the OP and to anyone who I may have insulted in this clear mistake.

I am really trying to point out the insanity so that we can all clearly identify it and stand together to fight it. We are after all in this mess together.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
I think it is a matter of agents looking harder for threats against Mr. Obama than they were for President Bush.

so are you saying the secret service that protected Mr bush was somehow less trained or
concerned for his safety as opposed to President Obamas current team of secret service.

???

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative

If that was the case, this inexperienced nutjob would have never been elected in the first place. If anything this guy was elected BECAUSE he was black.

No he was elected because there were few choices, the nut job and war criminal
mr. bush screwed up the country on an epic scale and confidence in the GOP was affected.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join