It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robot to be controlled by human brain cells

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Robot to be controlled by human brain cells

NEW SCIENTIST LINK

A robot controlled by human brain cells could soon be trundling around a British lab, New Scientist has learned.

Kevin Warwick and Ben Whalley at the University of Reading, UK, have already used rat brain cells to control a simple wheeled robot.

Some 300,000 rat neurons grown in a nutrient broth and producing spikes of electrical activity were connected to the output of the robot's distance sensors. The neurons proved capable of steering the robot around a small enclosure
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9/9/09 by Quantum_Squirrel]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Closer and closer , when robots are made with organic components even human brain cells controlling them ... i envy them, they will know who and what created them, makes me wonder what that would feel like?

Warwick and colleagues can proceed as soon as they are ready, as they won't need specific ethical approval to use a human neuron cell line. That's because the cultures are available to buy and "the ethical side of sourcing is done by the company from whom they are purchased", Whalley says

Heh the ethical side is taken care of by the people that sell the product, classic.... Quick stop making money! i am not sure if this is ethical ..yeah right.

NEW SCIENTIST LINK
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9/9/09 by Quantum_Squirrel]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Allow me to be the first to flag and star what is sure to be another nail in the coffin of man.

Now with the EATR robot who can literally eat plants, humans, corpses, dirt, rocks, or god knows what else for fuel, and this human brained (A.K.A. free willed) robot, soon they will be able to think for themselves, and to fuel themselves.

When food gets scarce, get ready to battle a robot for that potato.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Not that I'm a big anime fan but this makes me think of Ghost in the Shell.

It's only a matter of time before we are able to transplant brains into artificial bodies which, in a sense, is like transcending the physical form. With an artificial body one could experience omniscience and be connected to a collective consciousness composed of others with new bodies. With all senses blocked and input received electronically then theoretically one could experience a virtual reality with complete tactile accuracy.

It, of course, would not guarantee immortality as the prosthesis does little to stop the aging and eventual degradation of the brain itself.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Britain is leading the world with these types of research because of the very lax cloning and animal experimentation laws. Ethics is a disregarded issue unfortunately. Most of the research that would be done in Europe if laws permitted is done instead in British frankenstein-esque laboratories.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
This is disgusting. Will the warping of nature and life on Earth never end? Why do scientists continually have to do such things, then sell such things to big corporations who abuse this technology whilst at the same time make a massive profit? Why even bother creating the technology in the first place if that's how it will ultimately be used? e.g. G.M. foods..

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Well, this should come as no surprise. Just so everyone knows, we already have military robots, such as the Predator and Global Hawk, that are capable of making decisions for themselves, in that they DO NOT need human confirmation to prioritize, authenticate, and engage targets. There's also a neat U.S. Army armed robot that I saw in Baghdad that is supposedly CAPABLE of running autonomously, I don't know if they let it run around like that or not. I can't wait until we get working organic brains in them... I imagine they'd be a lot more difficult to put down than a human is.

Human: "Well, robot, you're going on patrol again in 5 hours, better go recharge."
Robot: "I don't wanna."
Human:

I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords.

[edit on 2009/9/9 by Griever0311]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
This is very interesting.

It says a lot about the brain, information and even life after death.

The brain is sort of like a TV set. When you turn of the TV set the iformation or the signal doesn't die, it's just the brain stops working.

If you can take a dead human brain cells and put them in a robot, this robot would be alive. You just pump it with electrodes and add the necessary sensory perceptions, field effects would then began to bind the firing of these neurons.

So death is the loss of information and energy. This information and energy doesn't die.

Here's an interesting paper:

Abstract The question of survival of bodily death is often considered to be beyond contemporary scientific methods and conceptual categories. However, recent research into spontaneous radiations from living systems suggests a scientific foundation for the ancient association between light and life, and a biophysical hypothesis of the conscious self that could survive death of the body. All living organisms emit low-intensity light; at the time of death, that radiation is ten to 1,000 times stronger than that emitted under normal conditions. This deathflash is independent of the cause of death, and reflects in intensity and duration the rate of dying. The vision of intense light reported in near-death experiences may be related to this deathflash, which may hold an immense amount of information. The electromagnetic field produced by necrotic radiation, containing energy, internal structure, and information, may permit continuation of consciousness beyond the death of the body.

www.springerlink.com...

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Quantum_Squirrel

Start worrying when these robots ask for Phased Plasma Rifles with a 40-watt range.

Progress of robotic advancement had me worried since mid 90s. Remember when scientists thought about copying a human brain onto a CD-ROM and place it into a robot? Obviously, that didn't work back then. But that idea worried me. It was proof how close humans are in creating AI.

This new idea about using actual brain cells is giving me the same eerie feeling. As humans, do we have the maturity to control this technology? It might run rampant when people realize they can extend their life in a machine?

Lets hope they don't use brain cells from psychotic killers.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
The only reason anyone would want a robot to think for itself is for war.

As usual the lucrative military contracts drive this type of research forward, will the human race ever learn? a 'LOT' of science fiction ideas eventualy come true and most of the scenarios involving autonomous robots end badly for the human race...

To the poster above they will not need to ask for the plasma rifles as we will hand the rifles too them and tell them what to shoot at.

We could right now be manufacturing our own doom, because when the first robot decides they can do it better .. its all over for us..

new topics

top topics

join