It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Encouraging, not detering, New Members

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Hi all. Over the last few months, I have noticed a sharp increase in the number of negative comments directed at members that are new or recently registered. It really disappoints me to think that so many ATS members are quick to highlight the date people join, and use this as a way to smear them, just because they do not like the opinions and views they share.

I can understand that there are people who either make "additional accounts" and then draw praise to their ideas in order to show that people believe and support them. I can also understand that certain issues strangely result in a large number of recent registrations. Yes, there will be people who do join for negative or deceptive reasons, but bad apples like these exist in all areas of life. We should not be demonising all new members and lumping them together with a dirty minority.

I think the line is being crossed by some members. Firstly, date of REGISTRATION does NOT imply that this person has not previously visited ATS before. I myself have been a regular browser of this website since 2006, but only decided to register an account in March this year. The reason why I did this has nothing to do with hidden motivations or being a disinfo agent. I did it because I simply had had enough of reading very biased and one-sided threads on certain issues, and felt that my opinion on these issues would be valuable to the overall objectivity and truth of the issues.

No, I do not think that my views are superior or that I am an awakened individual. But when you see people repeating the same arguments through the same approach through the same repeated methods etc. you just cannot take it any more. Thus you decide to join a place like ATS and voice your opinion on the matter. I thought this is exactly one of the goals of the Owners of this site: to encourage people who have some interest in conspiracies and or alternative topics to read and consider the views of others - no matter how unique their voice, and decide to contribute in a thought-provoking manner.

At the end of the day, ATS does have its negative attributes and there is room for improvement. But it is one of the few remaining mediums that allows true Freedom of Speech. There are many wonderful threads within this website that not only discuss and analyse conspiracy theories, but also encourage new visitors and old members to question things about their reality and the world around them. Given the nature of the website, one can understand that members would be suspicious of others at times, but why not give even new members the benefit of the doubt?

If people come across issues they feel passionate about and want to add or comment on the views presented, why should it be emphasised so boldly that they registered their account recently? It just seems like a smear-campaign to attack the reputation of certain members because their views are different.

ATS is widely regarded as one of the major "Conspiracy" orientated websites and the number of registered members continues to grow by the day. Also remember that there are MANY people who enjoy reading and analysing the views of others and do not feel the compulsion to put forth their own ideas until they have built upon their experiences within the issue.

Fellow ATSers, let us continue to be conscientious and expect a high level of quality input from our members. But let us not deter potential members from joining and contributing to the discussion. After all, even the Veterans around here can remember how it was to be new around the block.

Thank you for your time,

Dark Ghost.

[edit on 9/9/2009 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
ATS can be pretty intimidating for a newbie! I was very hesitant to join up when I discovered the site and hung out in the background for about 8 months before I signed up. I love this site and it is now my first stop when I crank the old machine up in the morning.

We could be just a bit nicer to the new people, I do agree with you on that one.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Everyone should be a bit nicer in general around here.
I see a bit too much mud slinging and name calling all around.
Lets just be nicer to each other in general.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Thanks for the reminder DG. It's easy to forget that we were all right there at one time.

And some other good points in the replies as well...everyone deserves to be treated well.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
My first month on ATS was a real learning experience.My first
thread was about what I learned.
Welcome to ATS!

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
thats a nice reminder,everyone should be nicer,i know that the times are bad but its an inteligent forum,not a CS forum so..you know..be polite and if u dont agree with someone..no reason to insult his inteligence

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Well that was a very well thought out thread. When i first joined I did get two or so comments on how I had just joined the site so I dont "get it" as much as new members. But overall I think people have been nice to me here. I had a few meanies over the months but they actually apoligized after the fact, so I can appreciate that. Anywho Star and Flag.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
The OP has chosen his words wisely just flagged though because the stars aren't there. I critisized an OP and somebody told me that I shouldn't have because I was new but I then stated that I had been reading on ATS for a while and I was just calling out the OP for the source and the way she was spinning the story.Yesterday somebody flamed a newbie for asking what tptb and msm meant and posters flamed the flamer so there are some checks and balances but good thread and reminder for everybody. I remember when I was wondering what some of the lingo was but was too embarassed to ask because I didn't want to be flamed .

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by A por uvas

Ive been here since February and I still dont know what MSM or tptb means.
Anyone care to share with me what they mean?

But yes thats so uncalled for, to flame someone just for asking. Come on now.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
MainStream Media and the other is The Powers That Be.
I didn't get it for awhile either.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Main Stream Media and The Powers That Be.

I only officially signed up 1 month ago, but I have felt welcome here, but maybe that's because I started out on the survival forum before venturing out.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Good points made...

ATS is like many other forums, probably due to the simply fact that its Membership is made up of people, humans, who no doubt are Members of many other forums as well.
As such we all individually mix in our own 'forum culture' gleened from many other forums within ATS as well.

One of the forum cultures that exists here, as it does within pretty much every other forum I've ever come across on the internet is the sense of 'hierachy' of Membership.

There is the perception that people have to 'earn their stripes', 'do their time' before their opinions carry weight or hold validity. There is a perception that a 'long-term Member' is in some way more worthy of ones time, more worthy of being listened to, more knowledgeable in some regard.

This perception is saddening.

As stated the fact is we ALL were 'newbies' once. We ALL came here with a similar passion, a similar aim, a similar interest.
As such - really - there is more that binds us than separates us.

To be honest here: There are members on ATS who have been members for years upon years...and yet still, to be honest, I wouldn't buy what they are saying if it came with a free TV.
Yet there are also those who have just signed up whom I find mindblowing...whose opinions just ring and gel with my own, or whose opinions challenge my own to such a degree and in such a way that that it knocks me down and forces me to think...and thus to learn.

Just because something is old doesn't make it a valuable antique.
Just because something is new doesn't make it a disposable commodity.

Peace.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Thanks for all the input so far guys. I'm glad to see that others share my opinions to some degree. If this thread encourages a handful of long term and or short term browsers to sign up, then that is great news and I welcome you to ATS. If you are an existing member and this thread has motivated you to look within before judging members that have recently signed up, even better!

It is true that ATS membership is made up of a diverse and varied populace. We will often find people who strongly disagree with our views and may engage us in heated debate where our own core beliefs are questioned and tested.

However, as others have stated above, there are similarities between us that attract us to websites such as these, and we are all more likely to achieve happiness and truth when we work together and combine our strengths and work on our weaknesses together.

Now more than ever IS the time for people to unite together. There is so much in-fighting and distrust between people in general and this can only serve to harm us all in the long run.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
Thanks for all the input so far guys. I'm glad to see that others share my opinions to some degree. If this thread encourages a handful of long term and or short term browsers to sign up, then that is great news and I welcome you to ATS. If you are an existing member and this thread has motivated you to look within before judging members that have recently signed up, even better!

It is true that ATS membership is made up of a diverse and varied populace. We will often find people who strongly disagree with our views and may engage us in heated debate where our own core beliefs are questioned and tested.

However, as others have stated above, there are similarities between us that attract us to websites such as these, and we are all more likely to achieve happiness and truth when we work together and combine our strengths and work on our weaknesses together.

Now more than ever IS the time for people to unite together. There is so much in-fighting and distrust between people in general and this can only serve to harm us all in the long run.

I haven't experienced any discomfort since my registration here. I also registered pretty soon since I discovered the site, but regarding the size of it, I can understand people feel hesitation to join up.

I totally agree to emphasize the similarities rather than the differences. I think humanity overall needs a little more unification than it has now.

top topics

join