It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraqi shoe thrower Muntazer al-Zaidi innundated with offers and gifts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Across Iraq and in every corner of the Arab world, Zaidi is being feted. The 20 words or so he spat at Bush – "This is your farewell kiss, you dog. This is for the widows and orphans of Iraq" – have been immortalised, and in many cases memorised. Pictures of the president ducking have been etched onto walls across Baghdad, made into T-shirts in Egypt, and appeared in children's games in Turkey.

Zaidi has won the adulation of millions, who believe his act of defiance did what their leaders had been too cowed to do. Iraq has been short of heroes since the dark days of Saddam Hussein, and many civilians are bestowing greatness on the figure that finally took the fight to an overlord.

"He is a David and Goliath figure," said Salah al-Janabi, a white goods salesman in downtown Baghdad. "When the history books are written, they will look back on this episode with great acclaim. Al-Zaidi's shoes were his slingshot."

From his prison cell, Zaidi has a sense of the gathering fuss, but not the full extent of the benefactors and patrons preparing for his release.

A new four-bedroom home has been built by his former boss. A new car – and the promise of many more – awaits. Pledges of harems, money and healthcare are pouring in to his employers, the al-Baghdadia television channel. "One Iraqi who lived in Morocco called to offer to send his daughter to be Muntazer's wife," said editor Abdul Hamid al-Saij. "Another called from Saudi offering $10m for his shoes, and another called from Morocco offering a gold-saddled horse. After the event, we had callers from Palestine and many women asking to marry him, but we didn't take their names. Many of their reactions were emotional. We will see what happens when he is freed.

Source

Well who would've though that the shoe is mightier than the sword.

It seems as if there is distain for Bush 43 over in east.

This says alot about foreign policy and the issues of America's ongoing military presence in the middle east.

Maybe it's time for Obama to honor his pledge to bring our troops home.

Better late than forever....

CX

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Lol i had to smile at this story, good for him i say.

I do think Bush should have got a prize that day though, that was some pretty efficient dodging he did.

I wonder if i can reach Downing St with my boot?

Seriously though, i like the part of the article that sayd he did what their leaders wouldn't. Unfortunately thats usualy the case.

CX.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   
It should be standard pratice that when you see a republican speaking, throw a show at him/her

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Just a minor point......

I wonder what would have happened to that idiot if he had thrown the shoe at one of their religious leaders?

What about their elected leaders, I am sure it would be much different.

He is nothing more than a scum-bag who assaulted a visiting leader and deserves nothing more than punishment for his attack.

By the way, wonder what other countries would do, if their leader had the same attack, like Iran, like Syria, Russia????

Oh, I see, it is a do as we say, not as we do issue.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
Just a minor point......

I wonder what would have happened to that idiot if he had thrown the shoe at one of their religious leaders?

What about their elected leaders, I am sure it would be much different.

He is nothing more than a scum-bag who assaulted a visiting leader and deserves nothing more than punishment for his attack.

By the way, wonder what other countries would do, if their leader had the same attack, like Iran, like Syria, Russia????

Oh, I see, it is a do as we say, not as we do issue.

D'awww is someone upset about a shoe being thrown grow up what that man did you shall never do go ahead keep on typing keyboard warrior it will do you no good actions "speak" louder than words.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I wonder what would have happened if he threw his shoe at Saddam.Certainly not a personal harem.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by imd12c4funn

The Man is Legend
he has done what everyone in the world apart from the Nut cases wanted to do and that is throw a shoe at Georgy

where do i send the gifts

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   
i just saw this on the news in australia. He is about to be released after 1 year in gaol (damn time flies). Showered in gifts as you say, hes TV station boss has even bought him a house, and apparently they've made a statue of a shoe for him. Good on him i say. If the government wants to treat us like monkeys , then maybe we should rightfully be flickin pooh at these corrupt henchmen.

Shoe statue

What a crack

top topics

join