It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Education System: Repsonse to "OK.....what????"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Introduction/Disclaimer:

While writing a long winded response in OK.....what????, I decided to just make a thread about our education system.

What I present here is merely my opinion, and hopefully others' opinions as well.

I do not claim to have an absolute solution to the problems of our educational system in the U.S. All I know is that education is of utmost importance in a republic or "democracy", or any nation for that matter.

What are we lacking in the U.S. education system? Well, many things I can imagine, but the one that stands out for me is Critical Thinking!

My Thoughts and View:

The super-consciousness, the grand consciousness, desires to keep perpetuating knowledge, to keep information/order flowing. For this to occur, education through the generations must occur. So, to continue and progress as a grand consciousness, we must always find a means of education. Of course, this also means we must establish a dynamic system and define "education" through a consensus, in which we all agree upon. That, to me, seems like the start of trying to find a solution to this on going problem of the U.S. education system.

For example, why are there not any philosophy type classes before the students college experience? In other words, why are their not more critical thinking classes within the supposed compulsory education system? This would greatly help the overall level of consciousness in the masses. We need to learn from the ancestrally wise. All of the ancient philosophers. They have given us the knowledge to progress via critical thinking. The grand consciousness "demands" of it.

Here is a company that inspired me to think that way: The Great Books.

However, we all have varying opinions and this is what makes it such a difficult task. The "Powers that Be" would like us, the masses, to lack critical thinking. It aids them in the ever going power struggle. Like mattifikation
said,

It may sound paranoid, but the day we stop asking questions is the day the government no longer has to answer to us. We need people who think, not people who obey.

If we cannot agree upon a central education system, perhaps we should start back at square one i.e. homeschooling. I think it could work for the time being but perhaps since change is such a huge deal for humans, it would not go over so well. Just my opinion.

In response to OK.....what????:

As our vision and definitions of education maybe differ, I know that a government, since Obama is indeed part of the government, should NOT be acting as an educator, and by educator I mean one who gives "advice" to children in this particular context. I am stretching out on a limb here, but this should also somehow include the "write the letter to yourself, to see how one can help the president".

Why do I say this?

1. Frankly, it is not needed. Parents, family, and friends already know by living experience that staying in school is the best course of action. It is redundant.

2. With that in mind, one must ask what is the reason for this "advice" and letter writing? Ratings perhaps? The presidents ratings have been slipping as of late.

3. Further, It seems to be implying that one should serve the president, and not the other other way around. That is not the way a "republic" ought to be.

My point being, parents, family, and friends should be the only ones telling their children to "stay in school", et cetera.

In Conclusion:

It really is the slow change over the period of 200 years that has converted this country from a "republic" to an oligarchy. It is this slow change that has caused this country to go from despising the elite, to turning on the television and agreeing with them. Critical thinking is of necessity; that of which, many are severely lacking. This is one of the reasons for where we are today in the U.S.

Another possibility for the lack of critical thinking is perhaps it is innately present within humans to not critically think until of a certain age in life. I have to admit, until I was about 17 years old, all I cared about was having fun. But what was wrong with that? Well, my answer being, I lacked balance. Since then, i have been ever approaching what I thought, and perhaps what Plato thought,was balance in one's life.

However, it is not anyone's fault they are lacking critical thinking. We are clean slates at birth and follow our parents via their nurturing. We only follow what we are told when we are very young. We are like super absorbers and are very easily taught anything.

This is why critical thinking in our education system is so important.

Anyways.

[edit on 9-9-2009 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Nice thoughts, but really, this link will explain alot for you !!!
And believe me, the education system is running as 'planned'.
it is an planned dumbing down of our kids, TPTB wants our kids to join them, transfer the kids loyalty from FAMILY to the NEW WORLD ORDER..

Truth Farmer

Agenda 21
If you don't understand Agenda 21 and why it is so bad for freedom and life in general, this piece is the absolute best, concise, and informative overview of Agenda 21 that I have encountered. It is a speech given by Tom Deweese in Kallispell, Montana the end of March. Please take the time to read it, you will learn a lot in a short time and for those who know Agenda 21 already, this is a valuable resource to help you in your education of others.

America is drowning in a sea of rules and regulations, particularly under the guise of “saving the environment.”

We all know something is very wrong and we are trying to fix it.

Many in America attempt to fight against one issue or another as they try to understand what is happening to their country. But most fail to see the whole picture and are being crushed under a well organized “divide and conquer” tactic that keeps them reeling from crisis to crisis.

Tonight, I’m going to try to give you at least a peek at the all-encompassing, gut wrenching national transformation that we face -- and, hopefully, help to lift the veil of confusion.

To put things in perspective, here are some questions every American should ask their elected officials – especially those supporting “climate change” legislation.

If it is proven that climate change is not man-made, but natural, will you be relieved and excited to know that man is off the hook?

We’ve been terrorized into accepting that human society was on the brink of extinction because of man-made global warming. We’ve been warned that, unless we take drastic action to reverse it – then islands will disappear, whole cities will be destroyed and polar bears will drown.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Unlimitedpossibilities

I feel the same way about education in our society. I have two children who will not be going to school.

Other parents here who agree might like to check out TJ Ed.

"Leadership Education, which I call 'Thomas Jefferson Education,' teaches students how to think and prepares them to be leaders in their homes and communities, entrepreneurs in business, and statesmen in government.

…What happens when a society does not prepare leaders? We get managers and professionals leading in areas they have no training for, such as government, and we get a nation of followers who see no problem with that because they have no experience with anything else. …This was the legacy of of Germany in the 1930s—a highly trained but uneducated people easily swayed by Hitler."

Oliver Van DeMille, A Thomas Jefferson Education, 2nd Edition, pages 21, 27

Thanks for making a thread for this topic. If you had posted it as a response in the other thread instead, I would never have seen it.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

Thank you for that. One dimensional arguments only segregate us more. We must just find solutions to any problems, and not just participate in perpetual, one dimensional debate.

Don't get me wrong. Sometimes it is great to debate.
But not if time is ticking and that is all that is happening, while no action is being taken.

[edit on 9-9-2009 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by eMachine

Thanks for making a thread for this topic. If you had posted it as a response in the other thread instead, I would never have seen it.

No problem.
I am quite surprised I was able to organize my thoughts the way I did here.

Thanks for the information.

Will you be homeschooling your children?

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   
The very beginning of our countries downfall(US) was the government takeover of education. Here in Wisconsin they have been trying to institute a voucher program. The only way they will let it pass though is for you to get a voucher of $2000 to send your child to any school you would like.

The kicker, the school you take them out of still gets the $10,000 dollars it gets for each child. So instead of the 10k going to the school of your choice, the crap government school gets that and you get the 2k. Government math, oh how I hate government idiocy!

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unlimitedpossibilities

Thank you for that. One dimensional arguments only segregate us more. We must just find solutions to any problems, and not just participate in perpetual, one dimensional debate.

Don't get me wrong. Sometimes it is great to debate.
But not if time is ticking and that is all that is happening, while no action is being taken.

Exactly, we waste ALL our available time by debating the same thing over and over, we are getting no where.
In the mean time, we lose our kids...

' it is too late to cry after it has happend' , the clue is, Prevent it from happening...

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Will you be homeschooling your children?

Yes. My oldest was able to start kindergarten this year, but we did not enroll her. Legally speaking, kids don't have to be enrolled with the school district until age 8 in my state.

Now that I think about it, the term "homeschooling" is a bit redundant. As if there is a single place in which one can learn.

We've been homeschooling since our first child was born. It's impossible not to, isn't it? Well, I suppose it's different for parents who have to put their infant in day care...

Anyway, I used to read aloud to my daughter as a baby. She heard several Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, Alexandre Dumas books, as well as the Bronte sisters, Jonathan Swift, Victor Hugo, George Eliot... oh, and The Hobbit and LOTR books, because I'm a nerd.

Now she loves to learn and asks lots of questions. She hasn't quite got motivated to learn to read yet, but she picked up addition and subtraction on her own and she loves doing math problems.

I don't think "homeschooling" is as difficult as people often say it is, you just have to understand there's no right or wrong way to do it. Kids think and wonder, you just have to let them ask questions and help them find the answers, at least when they're little.

Perhaps it gets harder as they get older and what they want to know becomes more complicated, but we have an abundance of information available. I think the important thing is fostering their love of learning and then teach them how to find the information they need.

I don't feel my own education is adequate, so I don't mind learning with my kids as they get older. If I can't "teach" them something, I should at least lead by example.

Ultimately, I guess my motive is wanting them to think for themselves, rather than simply accepting something as "fact" or "truth" just because an authority figure said so. I want them to make up their own minds, even if that means questioning me and/or disagreeing with me.

Most of all, I want them to respect themselves and know they are valuable individuals before they are put in a situation involving peer pressure to "fit in" (like school), because I think that is how an authoritarian society causes people to oppress others around them. They can be incredibly vicious in doing so, without even being conscious of why...

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Sorry to get back so late. Very busy here at home...

Ultimately, I guess my motive is wanting them to think for themselves, rather than simply accepting something as "fact" or "truth" just because an authority figure said so. I want them to make up their own minds, even if that means questioning me and/or disagreeing with me.

Beautifully put. I feel very similar to this.

If and when I have kids, I want them to choose a particular interest and follow it, sort of like I did. However, it obviously cannot be a path of drugs and licentiousness, but a path of empathy, respect, and hopefully critical thinking.

Steering them on that path and hopefully inspiring others to follow that same path of empathy, respect, and critical thinking, we could really have some change for the better on this earth.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Now she loves to learn and asks lots of questions. She hasn't quite got motivated to learn to read yet, but she picked up addition and subtraction on her own and she loves doing math problems.

I just saw this.

That is really amazing. I am currently a studying physics at the university that I am attending, so I really appreciate that you told me that.

Liking Math at an early age like that is really fascinating.

BTW: Did you ever let your kids listen to classical music when they were very young? I know it is probably unsubstantiated, but I heard it helps for later on in life.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I feel that one of the very first things that should be done is =

School Uniforms!

I watch the kid in our neighborhood getting on the bus and am amazed at the short-shorts, exposed tummies, baggy pants etc etc.

Uniforms automatically promote 'some' respect. Respect for the teachers and other students. Respect also helps with school crime (why steal from someone that has the same things as you do?)

It also takes away a lot of the pier pressure kids face today. It equals out the 'have and have-nots".

It helps the studants parents with school budget. It helps the kids to know exactly what to wear to school.

Next - make school interesting!!!!

Learning should be fun. The way it is set-up now it is not only Not Fun it is just memorization so you can pass a test.

In the USA - Teach kids to speak ENGLISH.

What good is it to teach a kid to diagram a sentance when they can't even speak correctly! Don't allow "ghetto talk" in the school.

School is SUPPOSE to be a place where children learn!
Learn about life as well as history. Learn about responsibility as well as math......

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Sorry I missed this.....

' it is too late to cry after it has happend' , the clue is, Prevent it from happening...

You know, it seems to be basic human tendency to "not do anything until it happens or its too late".

E.g.: I will tell friends or family not to eat this food or drink that liquid because it is potentially cancer causing. An yet, they continue to do so. Perhaps I need statistics or more evidence when I talk to those friends or family, (or perhaps I need to stage a fake news broad cast
) but I always though if it is the people closest to you, they should trust you enough to be like, "Hey. Maybe I should at least look into what he is saying."

Prevention is one of our greatest assets we have in our arsenal. I think it to be quite difficult in some cases, but for the most part, it should be exercised frequently.

[edit on 10-9-2009 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   

BTW: Did you ever let your kids listen to classical music when they were very young? I know it is probably unsubstantiated, but I heard it helps for later on in life.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I remember when my daughter was a baby, we had several classical compilation CDs... one was piano, another was violin, another was cello etc., I did listen to that alot with her.

There may be something to the "Mozart Effect". I know that's one of the ideas behind the "Baby Einstein" products, but I never got those for my kids, they seemed incredibly expensive to me.

My son (19 months now) hasn't received the same kind of attention my daughter did. I haven't read to him as much, because I started working at home shortly after he was born. I did read Treasure Island to him, but it took a couple months.

Anyway, on the topic of education... my husband and I were discussing the future of America with my father (who is 65). We all pretty much agreed that if we want America to recover from this 'stagnation', we need bright minds who can innovate. But schools are only training kids to get jobs and be consumers.

The previous 3 or so generations really built this country's industry, but now countries like China and India are going through their own industry boom and America is quickly becoming a consumer society.

My father said our high-tech industries and scientists are still ahead of the rest of the world. But if that's true, I don't think it will continue very long, because our science and math scores today are far below many other countries.

We're not educating kids to think outside the box, be creative, innovate, and contribute to the progress of our society. We're educating them to work for corporations and consume. We're only preparing them to support the corporate-banking system that already exists.

Basically, imo, the education system is pumping out people who are increasingly materialistic and short-sighted. They don't know how to look at the situation the world is in, but only how they can fit into and profit from it themselves. More and more, I think, people are accepting the system of rip-offs and scams that make up "business". They say "that how business works" when you tell them the shirt they just bought for $20 was made in China for $0.02....

I guess, in conclusion, it is not a healthy worldview we're teaching children today in our schools. It's not sustainable. We're perpetually degenerating.

Yes, we're headed for inevitable collapse. The education system seems to be contributing to it, rather than preventing it.

/end rant

(Edited to add: I should mention my dad was a welder for about 30 years, worked in a factory that always seemed to be stressed and on the brink of closing, along with most other 'shops' in his rural area.)

[edit on 9/10/2009 by eMachine]

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   

We're not educating kids to think outside the box, be creative, innovate, and contribute to the progress of our society. We're educating them to work for corporations and consume. We're only preparing them to support the corporate-banking system that already exists.

Whole-heartedly agree.

Overall, I think classical music does indeed help one's mind and focus. However, I also believe in balance. I think some nice jazz, blues, etc., can really help to obtain a well rounded mind as well.

It really is a shame that this imbalance is in the educational system. The specialization training is good for industry, and industry alone (unless of course you become your own businessman/woman or inventor
).

Nonetheless, balance must be obtained, and critical thinking must be brought back to the minds of the masses.

I do not know what else to say at the moment, except that I admire your courage you have evoked and employed while raising your children. Despite what friends or close family members may have initially thought, you pushed through and are now raising your kids to what YOU think is best for them, which is great.

I must admit, whenever I thought about "educating" my kids, if I have kids, I felt quite lost. Recently, especially after reading what you said, you may have given me the confidence to "educate" them the way I see best.

So thank you.

BTW: Friends?

ttyl

[edit on 13-9-2009 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

new topics

top topics

join