It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unconventional commodities during/after SitX?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I was playing Fallout 3 the other night and I suddenly started thinking about the kind of things that would be valuable during and after SitX. For the purposes of this topic, we'll consider SitX to be an event that renders modern currency useless and returns society to a bartering system of commerce. This could apply to both the complete destruction of money (due to war, impact events, etc.) or to black market trades (perhaps the government controls what we are allowed to buy, making items considered contraband that much more valuable).

In any case, the obvious ran through my mind. Food, water, medicine, fuel, weapons, etc. We all knew these things and I would assume that a number of people on this board already have some sort of stockpile of these items. These things, however, are not what this topic is about. In this topic, I would like us to discuss various items that may be valuable in SitX, but aren't often (if ever) thought of as valuable. I have come up with a couple of them:

1. Liquor

I'm talking about your vodkas, whisk(e)ys, rums, tequilas, and liqueurs. Let's face it: alcohol is a popular pick-me-up, and I can only imagine how popular it would be if the whole world went to hell. It would be an easy means of escape from the world and its troubles. Note that I don't include beer and wines here because they would go bad very fast.

2. Novels

So many lists mention survival manuals, but what about novels? I don't know about you, but it would be a huge morale boost for me to be able to just sit back and read. It would help take your mind of things and help kill time as well.

What does everyone else think? Feel free to comment on my ideas and add your own.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Tinfoil, my favorite survival item.

Batteries

Clothing.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Toilet Paper

Silver (antibiotic purposes)

Copper wire (lets invent!)

Plant food

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
soap
feminine pruducts
shampoo
deoderant
razors

(anti caveman stuff)

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   
seeds,
antique farm equipment: plow, tiller, thresher
lard press,
butter churn
mason jars
cheesecloth

I dunno, it seems like on all survival threads you hear about stockpiles of food and what not, thats great to get you through the first month but you gotta plan long term, and you can't live off of MRE's forever. Honestly, I'd say find out what 1930's farmers had. Get lots of that

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Solar chargers, gameboys, portable video players, rechargeable batteries.

Detailed build instructions for all kinds of solar devices.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
foot powered sewing machine, loom and spinning wheel.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Cigarettes or cigarette making equipment

Im gonna say all drugs my reasoning being they would be used a lot for home surgeries as a way of dealing with some of the pain

medications that people have gotten used to for minor things that drive us crazy
ie: tums

medical devices such as scalpels

ziploc bags

vitamins especially C

flashlights that dont use batteries

ice i think would be a big one

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Disclaimer: I'm a theist but not of the Abrahamic faiths. I have minor biblical scholar and scriptural skills. Also I am not a scientific/legal or medical expert in any field. Beware of my Contagious Memes! & watch out that you don't get cut on my Occams razor.All of this is my personal conjecture and should not be considered the absolute or most definitive state of things as they really are. Use this information at your own risk! I accept no liability if your ideology comes crashing down around you with accompanying consequences

Explanation: S&F!

Worming tablets.
Contraceptives.
Tampons.
Basic pharmacuiticals i.e parcetamol, asprin, nurofen, antiseptic etc.
Compasses [cheap as!]
Herbs and Spices!
Seeds.
Musical instruments and spare parts etc.

Personal Disclosure: Some really great ideas here. WellDone to all!

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Disclaimer: As above!

Explanation: Oops I forgot a few...

Rubber sealant products. Lettuce and dandelion sap just aint gonna cut it!
Tinea cream and possibly odour eaters!
Grease.
Bee products. honey, wax etc
Air and Water filteration devices.
Pumps and pipes/hosing.
Chocolate.
I'm sooo going to crave that junk!
:shk:
Lime [no not the fruit!] for sanitation.
Kids toys.

Personal Disclosure: Personally I would want to have a supply of Cosmetics and mirrors to keep the women happy!

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Sugar for tea and candy making.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I have grandchildren,so I have been thinking what to bring for them.
1.Coloring books and crayons
2.Comic books
3.Board games (with minimum pieces)
4.Baseball bat,gloves,balls
5.Soccer ball
6.Horse shoes
7.Football
8.Basketball

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
A basketball and soccerball would be to big, and horse shoes might be a bit heavy. Miniature worlds like polly pocket, littlest petshop and some of the ones made for boys, would be easy to take.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
A basketball and soccerball would be to big, and horse shoes might be a bit heavy. Miniature worlds like polly pocket, littlest petshop and some of the ones made for boys, would be easy to take.

I have seen the smaller versions in the stores,that's what I'm packing.
I found a horseshoes kit that wasn't too big or heavy.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   

I have seen the smaller versions in the stores,that's what I'm packing.
I found a horseshoes kit that wasn't too big or heavy.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I accidently hit the button twice,sorry!

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   

foot powered sewing machine, loom and spinning wheel.

Makes me wonder what the shelf-life of rechargeable batteries are.

I have a battery-operated little pink Singer that I got my niece, and a solar battery charger.

If unused rechargeable batteries can be stored for years, I'm set there.

As for a loom and spinning wheel, there would be piles and piles of synthetics and well-stored natural fabrics all over the place already. As far as that goes, I think it would take a long time to wear out all the unwanted/unused clothes stockpiled everywhere.

[edit on 9-9-2009 by maus80]

top topics

join