It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is ATS out to get Alex Jones?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by rich23
Hardly in dispute. But why should ATS suddenly attempt to mobilise its membership (based on an unproven assumption and in a U2U whic, despite what SO may try and say, was clearly intended to brand Jones as a hoaxer. If, as SO says, the U2U was intended simply to stop people thinking the interview was real, why did it draw attention to the difference between the initial appearance of the article amd its corrected version?

I think that perhaps the mass U2U should be used more often.
I can't say for sure what SO's or AJ's original intentions were.... but i have to say... AJ hyped this up so much and said that this news would blow peoples minds and was the biggest news of the year (or in years, can't remember) and then posted a fake interview?

I think it was a stupid thing to do.... whether intentionally deceptive, i do not know... but it was stupid.

Only SO can confirm or deny your suspicions, i have no idea what his intentions were.

I'm with Mister Old School on this. It'll happen the day I become a grandmother.

So am i... that was the point.
I was saying that the Only way that AJ or CS can be redeemed is if that happened....not that i thought it would.

But then again, stranger things have happened.
If it did, everyone would praise AJ.

Personally I'm not a fan of AJ...never have been and you can read any of my posts on him and none of them are favourable... in the post both you and MOS are referring to, i was merely saying IF and only IF either the meeting happened or millions were alerted to the fact that the official 9/11 report is, at best, not conclusive... Then, and only then would it be worth it.... and even then, it's still the wrong way to go about it.

And the U2U has drastically reduced the probability of that.

Well i can't be sure of that.
I'm not sure how every individual would react to it but judging by the usual levels of critical thinking, both in real-life and on ATS...i would say that people would only read into the negativity of the U2U

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Give AJ a break, he still talks about a lot of interesting things. So what, he made a mistake and apologised. Move on.

If someone had proven that he had CIA connections or something, that's totally different. Continuing to whine over this is silly at best, and pathetic at worst.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
I think that perhaps the mass U2U should be used more often.

I think rather we should all have the chance to send mass U2Us on any topic we desire. But that's not practical. But to have that power restricted to people who are not accountable... I just really don't like it.

General point: Alex Jones is not a member of ATS. Why should he be subject to its discipline? Why should we not object when such a stupid U2U is sent out?

I actually feel sorry for Charlie Sheen in this above all. He produced something that clearly took some research and was close to his heart, and Fasto Jones weed it up the wall.

Only SO can confirm or deny your suspicions, i have no idea what his intentions were.

I have to say that the fact he completely evaded the point that he appeared to be trying to spin the U2U (by saying it was intended solely to publicise the fact that it was a fictional, not real interview when the U2U itself was drawing attention to the alleged deception by highlighting the difference between the "before" and "after" screen captures) doesn't fill me with confidence in either his judgment or honesty. At the moment I'd rate it about on a par with Alex Jones.

[edit on 9-9-2009 by rich23]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by rich23

Well mate, I'd speak to SO about it.
I somehow got dragged into this and don't know how now?

I'm not here to defend nor attack SO's actions and have no idea what his intention or reasoning behind the U2U was.

Take it up with him.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
S+F for you OP!

I had nothing to say about this issue until I saw that U2U. It really doesn't sit right with me at all. It was inappropriate to say the least. I don't like the way Alex put the article out but, I feel this move by ATS is hypocritical.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
What pissed me off was the way he announced it. It was gonna be huge, a huge guest. Then little by little, he reveals more and more, at the same time adjusting his style to be more and more accurate. in the end it was "we are gonna go public with an actor about demanding a new investigation because 60% of the dudes have confessed lying"

Thats not big news. Thats what i would have done, if i somehow had the possibility. I see it as a responsibility of any citizen, to protect their country and people by exposing frauds.

What i was lead to believe from his video was something on the lines of Obama announcing on his show a new investigation has been opened, Some astronaut announcing the moon landings were hoax, or something similar, huge news that will change the world if we decide so.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by rich23

My point is, ultimately, that despite a lack of any evidence to suggest a malicious intent, ATS is labelling Jones a hoaxer. And then mounting a campaign against him.

I find it depressing and slightly nauseating that this should be.

[edit on 8-9-2009 by rich23]

Star and Flag for you Sir - 10 fold.

Am finding this Humorous - but there is much to be learned here, as we get closer to what ever is happening, the different sides put more cards on the table.

Watch for Patterns - in Everything, Several Patterns with this whole issue stand out like beacons, for us all to learn from.

Sometimes, the actions of many are better viewed then the words of those same many.. In the sport of Hockey, you don't watch the head or shoulders, you watch the hips, because they will tell you which way your opponent is directed..

Nothing different here... Again - OP, Star and Flag for you! Well Said.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
The main focus of this site and others like it is to find deliberate actions and motives for actions.

i have seen many many people cry "false flag" or "deception" with alot less evidence of what alex jones did re-watch his you tube video and then honestley say that the "fake interview" was not posted as fact on purpose...

ALSO:

alex jones [when i say alex jones i mean his website, because he is the person ultimatley responsible for it] Alex Jones DID remove comments based on wether they were for or against his agenda.

i have seen alot of other people critisized and attacked with alot less obvious motives on this site, please call a spade a spade and quit defending this whore.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Haven't read the full thread. In fact, I read only the first few posts because, frankly, I think this whole thing is ridiculous.

The ATS "HOAX" and multiple threads is a gimmick. The Alex Jones interview was a gimmick. It's all a load of publicity crap on both parts. And all you people that have fueled these threads over the past two days are their patsies.

I saw Jones' "big important event" for what it was when it was first announced: a publicity stunt ... a gimmick to gain the attention of not just conspiracy theorist, but also gain some public attention by those who would normally dismiss much of what he has to say. And boy, did it work. It work SO WELL, in fact, that you're STILL making new threads about it. Congratulations Alex. Mission accomplished.

Now, on to the ATS gimmick. As far as owners/operators of the site ... there's no conspiracy. Threads are posted by individual members and monitored by site administrators or moderators. I assume that those monitoring the threads are the ones who call the shots as far as labeling a thread with a HOAX label. In my opinion it may have gotten a little out of control as far as how many threads posted and how many had the titles edited to declare that the whole thing was a HOAX. Almost in the same manner that Alex Jones pushed his own agenda with his "big news coming" release, the moderators here pushed ATS's reputation as being the official debunking site. If the title was related to the story, it got a HOAX label. OVERKILL.

I got a little fed up with some of the moderating. I know in one thread people began discussing the "Interview" without even mentioning what had happened. I believe it states in the T&C that all threads should have some sort of elaboration as to WHY it was started and WHAT would be the discussion topic. Not so much with this issue. As long as it had HOAX in it's title ... that's all the thread needed.

[edit on 9-9-2009 by tyranny22]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
How on earth does your servers go down, yet you can continue to remove the negative commments while keeping the positive ones???

Why did he NOT ONCE apologize or explain the missing disclaimer through the three hour show yesterday?

Why did he make a you tube video stating that this is the way marketing works and he was trying to draw attention?

He had been talking about it since the weekend, yet you don't have all of your ducks in a row the day of???

SO has been trying to contact AJ to clear this up. We tried as well but...Poof!... our comments were deleted. The positive comments left by some members were allowe to stay on the board.

Really, AJ?

Like I said, I loved the letter and it was so great, it could stand on its own merits. interjecting that lie does nothing but hurt the cause.

So yes, I believe he lied.

[edit on 9/9/09 by IconoclasticTalamasca]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I don't see anything wrong with a mass-u2u informing the users of ATS about a misconception in principle (something they have done before in other situations,) however I must concur that the wording and content of the u2u might have better served that stated intent had they been more impartial-sounding.

I'm not defending Alex Jones. I'm quite upset and offended by the methods I personally feel - not KNOW - were employed by him in this matter. The implausibility of the server congestion causing the omission of the disclaimer increases my distaste for this whole affair. To me, duplicity is duplicity, and while I do allow for the possibility (as always, since I don't know everything) that this was somehow an oversight or a technical problem, my personal feeling and opinion at present is that this is something I have to take great issue with.

However, the thought - if I try my best to stay objective - does briefly but repeatedly occur, that the confluence of the appearance (warranted or not; I don't personally feel that it is) of ATS being impartial on this matter, combined with what I feel was duplicity on AJ's part, could at least potentially do more harm than either one on its own in the long run. Hopefully ATS will succeed in establishing some form of communication and clarification on both ends for that sake.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
The issue is not what you believe, it's what you can prove.

[edit on 9-9-2009 by antonia]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I thought it was pretty awful the way it turned into a witch hunt. Which I have no doubt was based in large part on some kind of agendas and/or peoples own pre-existing biases.

And contrary to what Skeptic Overlord said in regards to trying to "inform" users, what I saw went well beyond that. It even went so far as for the ATS staff to link up and show the entire original article without the disclaimer and blasted it to the top of every page on the site.

Perhaps they were caught up in the moment. Seemed alot of people were. If anything, it was a big giant social lesson of how group think and the mob mentality gets going and critical thinking gets thrown out the window.

I'm not even a fan of AJ, and in general can't stand to listen to him. He is way too chicken little for my tastes. But the way he was attacked over it was just uncalled for. Anytime someone/something is being attacked in such a way, I look towards the attackers.

Nobody really gets any credibility with me, but if they did ATS would have lost more credibility with me yesterday than AJ did.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I made a post like this yesterday and the admins deleted it. They are rediculously against alex jones for some reason.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I agree with the OP. However, seeing as conspiracy theorists already have limited creditability, even if they do hold the truth, I think we have to have a standard to separate ourselves from hoaxes and lies in search of the truth. We have to be completely objective if we are to gain any creditability enough to change the minds of the masses. I mean, even when a truth has become revealed to the masses, and we already knew it, it takes no effect on people even considering the conspiracy theorist' side of things. And it becomes talked about so much that the masses do not care about it anymore.

The hype A. Jones created was annoying and seeing the aftermath of it all, it has become funny because so many people fell for it, despite A. Jones' regular use of blending the truth with scary tactics and to some extent, lies. I mean, the people who were so excited about the news completely forgot why we are conspiracy theorists in the first place! - Skepticism. That should be the reason why anyone is a conspiracy theorist because if you are not even critical of the alternate side of things as you are of the official side of things - then you are basically becoming an alternative news sheep.

Maybe this is not what you guys believe or even care about, maybe you guys just care about being a group of people who consider conspiracy theories but for me, being a conspiracy theorist should not limit himself to disbelieving the conspiracy itself but rather being critical of it all until enough evidence is provided.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
ATS isn't out to get Alex Jones. Reality is out to get Alex Jones, and reality can be a bitch.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia

Perhaps they were caught up in the moment. Seemed alot of people were. If anything, it was a big giant social lesson of how group think and the mob mentality gets going and critical thinking gets thrown out the window.

I'm not even a fan of AJ, and in general can't stand to listen to him. He is way too chicken little for my tastes. But the way he was attacked over it was just uncalled for. Anytime someone/something is being attacked in such a way, I look towards the attackers.

That's what it is, mob mentality... but it is good for ATS to throw AJ in front... I would bet more people are listening to Alex today than they where a week ago. All this over a mistake that the anti-AJ bandwagon took a ride on, the mob is just waiting for a slip up...

Media & Blogosphere React To Sheen’s Request For Meeting With Obama

Separately, a few other blogs were up in arms about Sheen’s letter being a “hoax” because the disclaimer clarifying that the meeting with Obama was a stylized fictional account and not a real event did not get added to the bottom of the article until a little later due to technical snafus and a bombardment of traffic that shut down servers and locked out Infowars and Prison Planet webmasters. With the Infowars version having been copied across from Prison Planet, both original versions did not contain the disclaimer until the error was brought to our attention and promptly fixed as soon as we could gain access to servers that kept crashing, as many readers noted at the time. We added the disclaimer as soon as possible as well as other information that should have been included at the bottom of the original article regarding Sheen’s appearance on the show. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused and are trying to move our servers in house to prevent this routine occurrence from happening again.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Charlie Sheen's own father, Martin Sheen, wrote the SAME STYLISTIC HYPOTHETICAL INTERVIEW WITH OBAMA FOR THE WASHINGTON POST!!! HELLO!! Is THAT a "hoax"?

I AGREE 100% THAT ATS IS OUT TO GET ALEX JONES.

There seems to be a campaign on here to demonize this guy.

The idea this Charlie Sheen thing is a "hoax" is ridiculous. It's not! At all! Plainly. Any intelligent observer can see that while possibly a "stunt" (advertising a very important issue, let's not forget!), it's far from a hoax.

What is wrong with ATS? Healthy skepticism is good, but this is borderline character assassination. All I ever hear on here is how Alex Jones is an "insider" a "disinformationist" working for the "PTB". Nonsense!

[edit on 9-9-2009 by CUBD1]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
The issue is not what you believe, it's what you can prove.

[edit on 9-9-2009 by antonia]

Proof- yesterday on youtube he said that this is how marketing works. that he wanted to draw attention to the article. the links should still be in threads about him.

Hmmm.. that sounds like he lied to me. How about you?

He only changed it to a "server issue" after the gig was up. Now all of a sudden he is saying that he would not purposely do something like that.

So which is it?

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
The intention of the Alex Jones show has been stated and it seems a reasonable assertion.

SOURCE

Separately, a few other blogs were up in arms about Sheen’s letter being a “hoax” because the disclaimer clarifying that the meeting with Obama was a stylized fictional account and not a real event did not get added to the bottom of the article until a little later due to technical snafus and a bombardment of traffic that shut down servers and locked out Infowars and Prison Planet webmasters. With the Infowars version having been copied across from Prison Planet, both original versions did not contain the disclaimer until the error was brought to our attention and promptly fixed as soon as we could gain access to servers that kept crashing, as many readers noted at the time. We added the disclaimer as soon as possible as well as other information that should have been included at the bottom of the original article regarding Sheen’s appearance on the show. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused and are trying to move our servers in house to prevent this routine occurrence from happening again.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join