It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My monitor keeps going black :(

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
For the past two days whenever I turn on my computer, the monitor works for a second or two and then goes dark. It's a Samsung SyncMaster 920N and I'm hoping someone here can help me.

The first time it happened I turned it off and then on again (that's what the IT dept always tells me to do
) and it worked fine. Since then, I have to turn it on and off around ten times to get it to stay on. It always works for a second but then goes dark again, like it's on sleep mode.

Except it's not in sleep mode because it happens before Windows even loads. :bnghd:

Diagnostics performed:

I've turned it on and off a whole bunch of times.
I've checked to see if the settings or resolution has changed and they haven't.
I've wiggled, unplugged and replugged everything pluggable.
I've called the monitor bad names that I can't repeat here.
I've smacked the monitor a couple of times.

Things I've noticed:

Only happens on startup. Once it's on, it's on and the picture is fine.
The little green light is solid, so it should be working.
Slapping the monitor only hurts me.

Conclusion reached:

It's broken.

Any ideas?

Please note that if your idea involves me opening up the monitor and replacing parts, I'm getting a new monitor. There's a nice 22" on for $185 where I got my pc. If it doesn't involve me taking anything apart, I'd love to hear it because while I'd always like a newer, bigger monitor, I could put that money to better use on things like food and shelter.

Thanks in advance.

[edit on 8-9-2009 by Duzey]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Try disconnect the monitor from your pc. Then switch on the monitor (without it being connected to your pc). Most monitors will then launch a selftest. If the test runs ok, then you'll know that the problem must lie elsewhere (video card? video driver? Something else?). If the test fails, you'll need a new monitor. 2 cents...

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Do you have access to a different monitor cable???

Can you try same cable with different monitor????

Based on what you said, i bet your monitor is failing.

How old is it monitor?

Do those checks, but I bet your monitor is failing.

Please note: if you do get new monitor, please pay attention to the connector on new monitor, it may be different from what you have now, as well as what connector on your vid-card.

Please feel free to post the results or also feel free to u2u me with the details and I will do my best to help.

Now lets hear it for the ATS Dancers:

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Thanks, I'll try that tonight before I go to bed. I don't want to turn the computer off again before then because who knows how many times I'd have to turn the monitor on and off before I could use it again.

reply to post by mrmonsoon

You had to ask how old my montor is, didn't you? My monitor is 3 years and 1 month old. My monitor's warranty was for 3 years. :shk:

I could take the cable to work and try it there tomorrow, I suppose. I'm already going to have it unplugged for the self test.

Thanks for the help guys!

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Duzey

Not all monitors have a built-in self test, and I'm not sure whether your monitor has a self test. But most monitors do.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

I googled for specs and it does.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Try to Degauss the monitor and check what the Hz is set at for the refresh rate.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by desertdreamer

Thanks for the idea but it's an LCD, so degaussing isn't the solution. The refresh rate is 60 Hz, so I don't think thats's an issue.

----

On a positive note, after I tried the self test - I don't know what happened because the screen went black before I could see what was happening
- it seems to work again.

I have a suspicion that I will have to buy a new monitor sooner than later, but at least I don't have to worry about it this payday.

Thanks for all the help!

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
It's strange.....

Everything seems to be working, the setting are all the same and almost everything look perfectly normal, except google. Google is freaking huge! It looks like a monitor for the visually impaired when I go to that site, but everywhere else I've been is fine.

Stupid monitor.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
The bulb is going bad on you.

There is a light bulb at the bottom of the screen that illuminates what is on the screen that you see.

They can be replaced but you need a little computer repair and soldering skills to do it.

Spend the bucks and get the bigger one.

And don't leave it on 24/7 like my daughter did.

[edit on 9-9-2009 by calcoastseeker]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Duzey

I think there are like 2 replaceable parts inside of those things, and one of yours is bad.

Exact same think happened to me, down to the turning it off-on-off-on to get it back this time; it was the monitor that had gone bad. It finally gave out completely.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Guess I'm going to buy a new monitor this weekend.

It's doing it again, so I'll just replace the darn thing and be done with it.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
keep in mind that when you replace a bulb on the lcd, it is as good as new. i would highly reconsider trashing that. if you dont want to do it on your own just find pay someone to do it for you. lcds can last your entire lifetime if you change the bulb when it goes out. as long as you dont bang it around, they are quite hardy.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
Guess I'm going to buy a new monitor this weekend.

It's doing it again, so I'll just replace the darn thing and be done with it.

I'm gonna go back and reread the thread to make sure I'm not missing something - but this is an LCD screen? That sounds very much like the inverter is on the blink - now when they go they just kinda stop working so from that I'm thinking the power supply either to the inverter or from the inverter to the light tube(s).... I used to fix laptops and to get my production figures up I usually cherry picked the easy jobs like switching out an inverter (although on a lappy to get to it you usually have to go right through the whole lappy - but at least it's an easy diagnosis) - it may be just a loose connection!

The way to tell for sure is when the screen has gone blank shine a torch on the screen at a very low angle - you should still see the pixles doing there job - just with no back light.

edit: from a money point of view changing out an inverter or even the cables for it is pretty darnd cheep - but if the LCD panel has gone that's wright off usually - but your intermittent prob defo points to the inverter.

[edit on 11/9/2009 by Now_Then]

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I gave serious thought to the idea of fixing it, but then I decided that I wanted a new monitor. It's like the time my pc overheated and stopped working for 3 days. It worked just fine after I fixed it but I had already talked myself into a newer, faster pc.

So I have a new monitor. It's really nice, the picture is awesome but I'm going to have to mess around with the settings and get it how I want. I'm also having trouble getting used to the resolution (1920x1080) but I'm sure that'll pass.

Here's a kid reviewing the monitor, so you can see my new toy.

I have 2 questions: when did the world of monitors switch completely over to widescreen and how can I make my dosbox games look normal again?

-----

Also wanted to mention that since some of you think it might be fixable, I'm going to stick it in the closet until I get some time to take a good look at it. I'm not without the ability to replace parts, just the inclination but it's always good to have a backup.

[edit on 13-9-2009 by Duzey]

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
they have been widescreen for a few years now, man you must be living in the past. dos games?
good lord, my advice is not to run it full screen.

edit: i just have to ask, what games could you possibly be playing now on dos. as an avid gamer, i know i could suggest something a little more modern.

[edit on 13-9-2009 by mvirata]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by mvirata

What can I say? I'm old.

I've been playing things like Settlers, Caesar, Theme Park, Bards Tale, Bubble Bobble, Might and Magic... any of the games I loved that XP can't run. I don't like FPS and they don't seem to make a lot of the kind of games I enjoy anymore. I paid good money for these games and by god, I'm going to play them.

I had to switch the dosbox settings from overlay to direct draw, but it's all fixed now.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Duzey

Atta boy old timer! You stick to your guns

Youngsters don't know nostalgia further than logging into their old friends reunited accounts every 6 months lol

I'm liking your new monitor BTW - that's sweeeet...

You could probably still get a fair penny on ebay for your old one - or in a private sale... I would usually only buy one if I could confirm I could fix it easy, but I'm seriously cheep - the only things I buy new is underwear (unless it's that stuff that comes vacuum packaged from Japan
:shk:
)

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
reply to post by mvirata

What can I say? I'm old.

I've been playing things like Settlers, Caesar, Theme Park, Bards Tale, Bubble Bobble, Might and Magic... any of the games I loved that XP can't run. I don't like FPS and they don't seem to make a lot of the kind of games I enjoy anymore. I paid good money for these games and by god, I'm going to play them.

I had to switch the dosbox settings from overlay to direct draw, but it's all fixed now.

hey im not that young! im in middle, over 30! OK try majesty 2, caesar 4, railroad tycoon, oblivion, might and magic 5. see a little upgrade, lol. Bubble Bobble now that's a classic that you just cant replicate. Eclipsed only by Burger Time.

top topics

join