It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ideas For Make-shift Rafts?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by calcoastseeker

Well you see, we wouldn't just use the bridges because we'd be trying to avoid the chaos of other people. Also, some people in our group may NOT know how to swim, and given the circumstances, the temperatures may be too harsh or the waters not safe enough for us to just swim, and in an emergency situation, a raft can be extremely lifesaving. So it is important to bring this matter up.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

Yes that would be helpful for situations where we had much time. I think we could use that eventually XD But I don't think we'd make a canoe in a hasty situation, Thanks anyways.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by thaknobodi

Oh thanks,
Yes that's why I was leaning more towards buying a raft or a tube.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
For pontoons take a bunch of large plastic soda bottles and glue them into a cylinder shape then fiberglass over it and be sure to provide attachment points for your deck of plywood. Nobody said I was Noah.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

That sounds like it would take a bit of time XD
How long does it take to fiberglass over something?
And I'm not sure if there would be lots of strong glue around,

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
2 6mil plastic bags, stuffed inside one another, and filled with packing peanuts.

Make 7 of them and tie a knot in the end of each one.
Tie those knots together with rope.
You will have a flower shaped raft.
I did it in 1996 when I got trapped in by a flood.
It got me 250 feet and I only got my feet wet.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by reticledc

Thanks, might give it a try since you've had experience.
How deep was the flood?

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Use your brain.

In any such situation, you will not be assured of having anything. There is no one good answer.

That last post about the packing peanuts was awesome, if you can find some thrown-out packing an plastic bags lying around. If you're in an area where there are plenty of vines and dead logs, make a raft out of those. If the water is big enough to justify it, and you have enough time, make a kayak. If there are old houses around, you can even make a pretty good makeshift raft by tearing out some of the lumber and using it.

Sometimes you might have to swim. Sometimes you might have to wade through it. Sometimes you can find a natural crossing. Sometimes, you might have to go around.

The real trick is not having a blueprint in your head, but in being able to size up the situation and find the best solution. Do you have to cross here? How much time do you have? What can you use that's accessible? Will the fire you use to make that kayak be seen by unfriendly forces? Can you climb across (using overhanging trees for instance)? All these variables change constantly with each new challenge and it is up to you to find the best course of action.

Of course, you could become familiar with the countryside where you will be escaping through and try to avoid large problems in the first place.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Hmm, all of these ideas sound very good for a raft! But I think that a inflatable raft would be easy to carry around in a backpack. Also I am pretty sure that it wouldn't be to difficult to cut down a few trees and tie them together(if you have the right tools that is.)

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by excitedwaterkickingritual

At least 6 ft over normal river level.
The front porch of my house was exactly 3 feet from ground level, and the water was about an inch away from going over the top, which it eventually did.

I forgot to mention that the seventh bag has to be tied into the middle of the other six, so you have something to sit on.
I used a stick from a push broom to move about.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by reticledc

Oh
Well that seems okay for short distances, but a\what if it sinks? XD

Still this helps if we need to cross short distances and we have the correct equipment to use
Thanks

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
A friend of mines brother died of hypothermia trying to swim across a river. Just a warning for those who say learn to swim. I can swim quite well, but if my muscles freeze up because the water is to cold, I'm screwed.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by excitedwaterkickingritual

No doubt.
In this particular incidence though, I think the right equipment, is a new home out of the flood zone.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join