It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why did i get a U2U to Digg the Alex Jones hoax story?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
reply to post by Beefcake

His motives are his own ...

Nevertheless at the time, whatever his reasoning, he was pushing the story as true. An ATS member found out it wasn't and ATS went from there.

I'm sure there will be a million excuses and mental somersaults to rationalize his behavior away ... and your interpretation is as good as any and may well even be true. But that doesn't change the facts as they unfolded this morning. And if you look at it with fairness and objectivity I find there is little to blame ATS for in this fracas. Again, this was not of their instigation.

[edit on 8 Sep 2009 by schrodingers dog]

I'd just like to point out, even though this wasnt directed at me, that I am not "blaming" anyone. ANy responsible business operator should look for anything they can to gain revenue.

As Ive already said, the overexposure of this topic is what puts me off. ATS has always worked very hard to not allow duplicate threads and the such, yet today, there have been allowed dozens of threads about the exact same thing.

It really just screams at me that they are relishing in the chance to knock jones and gain a little recognition...

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

It was a mistake by his staff imo. ATS has postured that this was a great Hoax and that Alex Jones is now a fraud and disingenuous. ATS is very much to blame.

If a firecracker goes off in a subway and the news reports it as being a pipe bomb and that everyone should run for the hills the news source that is making a mountain out of a mole hills is just as to blame even more so than the guy who set off the fircracker.

If AJ's staff made a mistake on this exciting day that had been hyped and everyone was all hustled and stressed form AJ yelling at them(because we know AJ would do that). Then how is it fair to persecute him and call all his past in to question.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I'm a bit upset at the moderators for labeling something a HOAX so quickly. I've noticed more and more times moderation on these forums is less than impartial...sometimes even bordering on having ulterior motivations. In this case, asking us to dig something, as the OP states when so many other issues have come and gone without any mention from moderators. So much for denying ignorance.

The AJ story was obviously misleading but corrected. I think some people just got their panties in a bunch hoping for the ground breaking news as promised. I think they missed the point that what AJ was trying to do was reverse the propaganda, and unfortunately his own people got caught in it.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I have to agree, never before have i seen ATS attack like this, AJ may get a little excited, But there was no hoax to have here, and i've already made a complaint to ATS about the mods attacking other bloggers in a unprofessional manner.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Personally I think it is wonderful that ATS outed this hoax.

Power to the ATS people!!

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by William One Sac

How can you claim they outed a hoax, when it was a hoax to begin with. Or did you miss the part where the supposed interview took place in the future?

Another great example of trying to take credit where there is no credit to be taken.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by William One Sac

Your cheering your own actions how self serving of you. Its like Bush congratulating himself for having the threat level raised to orange.

You outed something that could be verified by anyone in teh msm with a phone call but it was up for less than 2 hours so it would be unnecessary.

This was a mistake by his staff no doubt in my mind and i blame ATS admin who generally dislikes AJ and their need to ingratiate themselves with mainstream sources, for there outrage on this issue.

My theories aside. I got a U2U for this story so you guys think that this is the most important story this year and in that aspect you fail.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by William One Sac

An example of exactly what I was referring to above. The moderators seem to have an agenda. I guess that's what I'll need to put up with here on ATS. Agenda driven forums always fail in the end, as you alienate an audience. I still have respect for ATS staff, but I think it was overboard to send a mass U2U on such a trivial issue, just because a disclaimer hadn't been posted. It just shows that those that wield power in any format would seek to use it for their own agenda.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nifron
never before have i seen ATS attack like this

This was not an "attack," there are no long essays on Mr. Jones from anyone in charge... just commentary on this unfortunate event... as well as properly labeling the three threads covering the lead-in hype, and resulting fallout.

But you're incorrect... we've done this before.

During the wildly popular Haiti UFO videos from YouTube, we worked hard to get our hoax revelation into the mainstream... as our members discovered the hoax while several major news outlets and UFO sites were treating it as real. Major newspapers and even television news mentioned our discovery to discredit the videos.

The same happened with hoaxed images of the Chicago O'Hare airport hoaxed photos... attempting to get our analysis into the "wild" as quickly as possible -- but some of the hoaxed photos were still being treated as real by those who should know better.

I'm still seeing some online sources continue to treat the "interview" as real... which is unfortunate, but easy to do because of the disingenuous writing style.

It's wonderful that Mr. Sheen would like to become involved in seeking answers to difficult 9/11 questions. But this could have been handled so much better.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
To be honest here, some of you guys are looking like you are just trying to defend Alex Jones for whatever reason, although no one has came out and said it yet. I really think this is being made into a huge deal when in reality this is a good thing.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
Or did you miss the part where the supposed interview took place in the future?

How do you infer that from the original version?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Sorry for interjecting here. I hear where you are coming from. To pinpoint my issue is that by calling something a HOAX that contains REAL information and links...when you send this out to the world, doesn't that make those that are uninformed believe the information contained therein is HOAX to?

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Usually I might be against this sort of thing, but I think the mass u2u was completely justified on this occasion.

If conspiracy theorists want to be taken seriously, then we should weed out the hoaxers and trolls who want nothing to gain but popularity (and in some cases money). Alex Jones has done a huge disservice to the conspiracy forums by blatantly posting incorrect information, deliberately not posting a disclaimer and then lying about it.

I thank the ATS admin for posting this u2u, it sure got my attention

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Look the deal is that most people nowadays are mentally ill. Some are much worse than others, but I think that is the huge question that needs to be answered. What has caused the mental illness, vaccines are my best guess.

The new normal is to be mentally ill, and those who aren't are often ostracized as the ones who need help. Thank you Alex for finally admitting at least through a spoof hoax that you truly are quite normal.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

I'm still seeing some online sources continue to treat the "interview" as real... which is unfortunate, but easy to do because of the disingenuous writing style.

It's wonderful that Mr. Sheen would like to become involved in seeking answers to difficult 9/11 questions. But this could have been handled so much better.

I totally disagree. ANy source claiming the interview as real has obviously done no research, did not try and verify, and for that matter, didn't even actually read the interview in detail, as, like ive (and others) have said before: When posted, this interview would have had to take place in the future.

Since when did ATS make it their duty to correct inaccurate sources? And how is it that the reasoning for this has shifted from calling out Jones as a hoaxer, to correcting sources?

This is agenda driven. Pure and simple.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   

I totally disagree. ANy source claiming the interview as real has obviously done no research, did not try and verify, and for that matter, didn't even actually read the interview in detail, as, like ive (and others) have said before: When posted, this interview would have had to take place in the future.

Alex Jones himself cliamed it was real for at least an hour and a half

Since when did ATS make it their duty to correct inaccurate sources? And how is it that the reasoning for this has shifted from calling out Jones as a hoaxer, to correcting sources?

So you would rather live in a fantasy world where everything that everyone says should be taken as fact? Im glad that this was brought up, becuase like I said, he is doing this site, and everyhting ever written on this site a disservice

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   

I beg to differ

there are no other ways to handle this illusion and none have worked.

The investigation was "botched" and quickly swept aside.

Eight long a years have passed and now we have a growing movement who only want the core truth.

Is that to much to ask.........apparently so.

This will probably be the last shot to obtain the truth

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Since when did ATS make it their duty to correct inaccurate sources?

You're kidding right?

What do you think we do around here, play Hungry Hippo and wait for the Jones' of the world to enlighten us?

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Alex Jones himself cliamed it was real for at least an hour and a half

So you would rather live in a fantasy world where everything that everyone says should be taken as fact? Im glad that this was brought up, becuase like I said, he is doing this site, and everyhting ever written on this site a disservice

You ought to go back and read my previous posts. As I said before, I am neither attacking ats or defending alex jones.

The simple truth is, though, ats would not care about this if there wasnt anything in it for them.

ANd no, I never said I wanted to live in any fantasy world, and i dont really appreciate the insinuation. There will always be innaccurate sources out there, heck, the msm reports innaccurate things daily. I see no u2u's going out about any of it.

As for doing a disservice to everyone here, the fact that the majority here stay bottled up and are content with just airing their ideas on here is disservice enough.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   

You can't possibly be comparing this to the Haitian UFO video. That was never identified as being fake by the source initially or soon after. Instead members had to discover that was fake.

This AJ MOCK interview was identified by the source as being fake less than 2 hours after posting it originally. You here at ATS discovered nothing. AJ then went on to do a 4 hour show catered around this being a MOCK interview.

IMO a Hoax is purely based on intentions and there was no intention by AJ to trick anyone the site was changed to quickly and his whole show was catered to it being a fake interview.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join