It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why dont Officers die in the army?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I am Canadian and i am interested in joining the army. I am wondering why dont officers usally die in the military? For atleast canada all the deaths are from non-commisioned officers and almost all of them are from roadside bombs. Any body have any idea why officers dont usally die? Also any advice on how to survive patrols/fighting while being overseas ?

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

Officers die, the reason you see so many elisted dying is because they out number officers by about 40-1.

Lets say 1 platoon goes out on a convoy. In that platoon they have 1 officer. If that convoy is hit by an IED then that officer is just one person out of 40 that could get hit.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I know officers die, but even when I checked the death poll the only officers deaths in the past 5 years have either been from natural causes or suicide. Mabey 1 died from an IED, dont know if it is different in America.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
The total number of Army officers who have died in Iraq since the war began stood at 217 as of Dec. 2, according to the latest available Pentagon statistics.

www.cbsnews.com...

This was as of 2006.

I really don't know if this is accurate or not. If it is this might explain why more Canadian officers haven't died.

wiki.answers.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I was thinking more of Afghanistan actually but thank you for the info it has helped. What do you know of Military Police officers going on patrols? Is that natural do you think? I try to get an answer out of the recruiter but he keeps on changing the subject lol.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   

I'm not a MP so I don't know. I'm sure they patrol like the rest do. There is a member who claims to have been an MP, I don't buy his claim. His name is Ram something.

Recruiters can only tell you a very little from each job field. It is up to you to do your own research in order to make a decision.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Alright, Thanks again

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   

You could join the Canadian Air Force where they send the officers into combat in fighters.

BTW, a lieutenant general (three stars) was the highest rank to be killed as a result of 9/11 attacks.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   

They get killed/hurt but as jd140 said there are far more enlisted men than officers in the army. Also I get the feeling its enlisted men who are involved in close range firefights + actions, not to say that officers don't fight but they are there for leadership and morale.

As to surviving follow/remember your instructors advice, they have done it before.

new topics

join