It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen invents £23 solar panel;could solve world's energy needs

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I don't think animal hair would be a suitable replacement for human hair due to the melanin content, excepting maybe for horse hair which is closer to human hair. Fur AFAIK doesn't contain melanin. I'd really like to see his setup close up, I assume each strand of hair has to be connected in order to complete a circuit, rather than a mat of hair stuffed into his panel.

The problem with commercial solar panels, besides their cost, is that they degrade over time. Which means you will always need to replace them. What happens then when there are no replacements? (cue your favorite doomsday scenario here). If this home-brewed solar panel is the real deal, it shouldn't matter it only produces a low wattage/voltage, the fact you can cobble it together in your backyard would give you the potential to always have electricity on hand, years or even decades after any "Armageddon", when commercial silicon based panels are a long faded memory. This would also be a great boon to the survivalist / outdoorsman, who'll consider stringing together a solar panel part of the outdoor experience along with fishing and trapping.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Milan, whose hero is the inventor Thomas Eddison

Someone ought to introduce him to Nikola Tesla, then what would he come up with?!!

Body hair work too? Get paid to look nice? Can power our electric razors as we go

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Blackmarketeer said,
I don't think animal hair would be a suitable replacement for human hair due to the melanin content, excepting maybe for horse hair which is closer to human hair.

You might want to research that statement a little further,

All mammals have hair, although we often call animal hair fur. Both human and animal hair is made of a protein called keratin and a pigment called melanin that gives the hair its color.

Source

Could you please elaborate as to the effect of melanin on conductivity of hair please?

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Psychoses

Could you please elaborate as to the effect of melanin on conductivity of hair please?

The article states it's the melanin giving the hair it's conductivity. That's what I based my comment on.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Steilhe
reply to post by tauristercus

Please explain why something invented in Nepal is a reason to believe that this story is fake? I think that it would take a lot of ingenuity to think up an idea like this, and ingenuity isn't restricted to developed countries only.

This is totally fake.

how could a poor unknown counutry like napal invent anything.

Only Americans can invent advanced science.

We are clearly the most powerful and advanced race on the planet.

Fact is every major invention was made by us Americans.We are top of the pile people.

remember an american invented electricity.

napel invent solar cell.....no...

no no and no and never........................

A complex understanding of complex physics is required which exists in America only.

we are the only race on the planet which landed on the moon.

we landed on the moon.

we played golf on the moon.

remember that,.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
And oh yah, he didn't invent it, we've know about the super conductivity of melanin since the 60's.

And NO hair is not a good way of generating electricity.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
9 V (18 W)

That's not even enough to run a normal lightbulb in your house.. Save the 23 pounds and buy a case of beer...

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Kevman89

At least with the beer you can use your pee to fill a container that has cathodes and anodes to create a current.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Hey, I've got the name for it.

The Samson Solar Panel!

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Just thought of something else, once it is revealed which type of hair works best will others take offense?

Straight or wavy?
Does red hair work better than blonde?
What about kinky hair?

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Is this any stranger than researchers at the University of Washington finding that trees give an electric current?
Gizmag.com: Really green power - running an electric circuit from trees

But anyway, you should be able to make multiple panels and connect them together to increase the output. In this story, each panel can supposedly generate 9v, 18w. (That's 2 amps via the equation Amps=Watts/Volts.)

If you run them in sequence you increase the voltage.
Example: 9 + 9 + 9 + 9 + 9 = 45v, 2a

If you run them in parallel you increase the amperage.
Example: 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 9v, 10a

For some basic diagrams of this, see this link:
AllAboutCircuits.com: What is a series-parallel circuit?

Just do some math to figure out what you need, construct the required amount of panels, and wire them together. (Assuming that you have enough space to do it.) However, I think the design (if real) could easily be improved. Increasing the density of the single-filament hair circuit should make better use of the panel space and increase the output.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Originally posted by robwerden
I guess the hippies were on the right track, they grew it long, but didnt know what to do with it after they grew it.
So I guess there are plans online somewhere?

Ya, Plans sound good! I would attempt to make one of these at home and report back!

Does the kid have any backing yet?

The Illuminati are looking to kill him I bet.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
lol @ all the peeps that believe this story. did you actually look at the photo's of the cell its a scam for sure. single strands of hair connected with thumb tacks generating electricity?? are your serious??? the gullibility of some of the people on here amaze me. PT Barnum was right there is one born everyday

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
about 20 years ago, i read an article in science digest, regarding a black box computer for military aircraft, in which all the functions of the transistors were duplicated by photosensitive algae kept at a sustainable temperature. in the event the plane crashed in hostile territory, the temperature would bottom out, the algae would die, and the data would never be retrievable. it worked on the premise that when light hit the photosensitive algae, the molecules would flip, like a logic gate, and assigned either a 0 or a 1. it was a binary computer system.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

lol @ all the peeps that believe this story. did you actually look at the photo's of the cell its a scam for sure. single strands of hair connected with thumb tacks generating electricity?? are your serious??? the gullibility of some of the people on here amaze me. PT Barnum was right there is one born everyday

Hey now, you're talking to the guy that just shaved his head to build his own solar powered hair mat. Let's be civilized about this shall we?

ps: where does it show to stick the thumb tacks?? Man I can't get this thing to work....

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by tauristercus

Originally posted by die_another_day
Are you #ting me? Do you guys actually think that this is real? It's the DAILY MAIL.

Plants LIVE off of photosynthesis, and they only have a MAXIMUM of 3% efficiency.

Our pigments are only there to absorb necessary energy for warmth and some low power chemical reactions.

You will probably need a ton of hair to power a light bulb.

I totally agree that this sounds fairly suspect.

Was this "new concept" developed in any leading industrialized country ? Nope ... in Nepal of all places !

And what possessed this kid to even THINK that human hair could be used to convert sunlight to electricity ? Not exactly the sort of idea that would occur easily and without a supporting experimental framework behind it.

I'm ready to call BS on this one.

Well, it says he uses hair to replace the silicon, which is used for semiconductors. Semi-conductors are purposely made to have restrictive conductive properties. So, seen as it's stated hair has certain conductive properties...this may make hair an adequate alternative.

[edit on 10/9/09 by CHA0S]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by HiAliens
reply to post by tauristercus

Was this "new concept" developed in any leading industrialized country ? Nope ... in Nepal of all places !

First world arrogance. Do you think the other 5 billion people in the world have no brains or science skills? Plenty of developments are coming from the rest of the world. Look at Brazil and Russia. No facts, bluster based on conceit.

And what possessed this kid to even THINK that human hair could be used to convert sunlight to electricity ?

Spin language: 'Kid' and baseless intellectual aggression, no facts.

Not exactly the sort of idea that would occur easily and without a supporting experimental framework behind it.

What do you know? Ideas come to untrained people all the time. Do you have any idea of the history of science? It's littered with brilliant self-taught people. No facts, mouthing off with no backing.

I'm ready to call BS on this one.

Back at you.

[edit on 19f20093amWed, 09 Sep 2009 10:10:55 -050055 by HiAliens]

I'm constantly amazed at the complete gullability of some people who will believe almost ANYTHING as long as it flies in the face of mainstream science and technology, such as this "incredible energy invention" by some kid in the middle of nowhere, with bugger all resources and finance.
And yet, alarm bells that should be ringing loud and clear apparently have been turned off because here's someone who can buck the multinational corporations with a completely radical and unexpected invention.

Simple minds, indeed ...

Here's a quote on the electrical properties of hair ... didn't take long to find and I'm sure with just a few mins more searching could come up with even more damning sources !

As is readily apparent in the DC Conductivity measurements, there is virtually no measurable current flow through dry or pre-soaked hair at any of the voltage settings from 100 DCV to 5000 DCV. This suggests that hair has extremely high electrical resistance and does not appear to conduct DC current even under very high voltage potentials.

www.rafischer.com...

Again, my BS meter is full off scale !

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
This hair-brain proposal indicates people need to start using their heads. Double pun intended. It sounds like a hoax to me. my $.02

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by PenandSword

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Originally posted by robwerden
I guess the hippies were on the right track, they grew it long, but didnt know what to do with it after they grew it.
So I guess there are plans online somewhere?

Ya, Plans sound good! I would attempt to make one of these at home and report back!

Does the kid have any backing yet?

The Illuminati are looking to kill him I bet.

yeah he'll disappear and his invention will never ever again be heard of.

... probably because nobody will invest in an abstract form of art that needs its 9 volt battery replaced in the back of the panel

just buy a 9 volt battery or open up your smoke detector and then measure it, see what voltage it displays. if that won't open your eyes, i don't know what will!

solar panels don't provide a fixed voltage or fixed amps, rather it changes all the time with the light intensity. that's why you need what's called a "solar charge regulator" when you connect it to a battery.

but eh, dream on and remember this board's motto is "deny ignorance". you should have listened to the prez and pay attention in class... time to hit the physics books?

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Perhaps this may be of interest?

Melanin has been found to be a semiconductor. Not sure why the R.A. Fischer experiments failed to obtain this result.
ResearchGate.net: Semiconductor properties of natural melanins

Because of its semiconductor properties, melanin is being considered for the fabrication of dye-synthesized solar cells.
Universita di Camerina: European Photovoltaic Solar Energy Conference

But I must agree on one point: the reported 9v 2a per thinly populated panel seems pretty high.

[edit on 10-9-2009 by HermesII]

[edit on 10-9-2009 by HermesII]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join