It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops Tazed Man 28 Times (He's Dead)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
There IS some good news though.

Tasers face ban after findings they can kill

Link to Source

THE controversial Taser stun guns may be scrapped in Queensland after a review warned that the weapons could kill and could not be modified to prevent a repeat of the death of a man this year when he was shot 28 times with the 50,000-volt device.

The review, to be released today and obtained exclusively by The Australian, marks the first time an Australian authority has recognised the possibility the stun guns can injure or kill, especially when fired repeatedly at a person.

“The possibility of Taser use causing or contributing to death is possible and cannot be ruled out,” the review warns.

The Arizona-based manufacturers have repeatedly denied the weapons can kill.

It was initially claimed the stun gun might have malfunctioned or that there was a glitch with the built-in computer system recording the number and duration of shots from the weapon.

But investigators will allege the policeman repeatedly Tasered Galeano, who dropped the metal bar after the first few shots, while he lay unarmed and writhing on the floor.

He died minutes later while still in handcuffs.

Civil liberties lawyers called for a criminal investigation into the death of Galeano in June, when The Australian revealed he had been shot 28 times.

Until then, police had claimed he had been shot only two or three times.

Well. How about that. The cops taze a guy, yeah I know, an addict, but still a human being, 28 times. They lie about it and say it was two or three times. The continue to taze him while he's on the ground, in handcuffs, dying. Yay cops.

Maybe this is what the people of the world NEEDED to happen to get some attention on these things. The manufacturer claims their basically harmless, and certainly couldn't KILL anyone. What a crock.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

I hate it when these threads come up on ATS, they frustrate me and i just want to go out and beat a policeman up with a tazer!

Its terrible

[edit on 8-9-2009 by The Songwriter]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Just because some people don't use these tasers correctly and a few people die, doesn't mean they should stop using them instead of a more common deadly force like a gun or a club. Limitations like power levels and use within a set time frame. They should also have a net with them if need be. One of these days, they'll get it right.

Tasers don't kill people.............................

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   

If you strike somebody once or twice with a police baton you're not likely to kill them. However if you repeatedly strike them while handcuffed 28 times, death is a much bigger possibility. I'm not a big fan of the tazer but lets keep it in the proper perspective here.

They misused the tazer plain as day...

[edit on 8-9-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I'm not necessarily for the banning of Tasers, because compared to the misuse and abuse of a Firearm by the Police, they are a better alternative.

HOWEVER, this is yet another in a long line of horrible abuses of this tool by Police. Tasers don't kill people, but Police do. If these bad cops didn't have their Firearm or a Taser, they'd use a Tonfa or Club, or just the steel-heel of their SWAT Combat Boots.

I am outraged when I see articles like this, and they seem to be a daily occurrence. I know that bad LEOs are the exception to the rule, but when they get off committing these crimes under the guise of the law, it sends a message to not only other LEOs that this kind of behavior is permissible, but it sends a message to the people that LEOs are Public Enemy #1.

We need to have stricter penalties for LEO using Tasers, restricting their use to the same scenarios that their sidearms are.

We need to have stricter penalties for LEO that use Excessive Force, allowing them to be sued as individuals in Civil Court, as well as being brought up on Criminal Charges, rather than just an informal reprimand following their paid Vacation (Administrative Leave) and Investigation. When LEOs are held accountable for their actions on-duty, just as any other citizen is, then we will see these gross abuses of their power and authority diminish.

No one needs to be Tased 28 times unto death by the Arresting LEO! That isn't even Voluntary Manslaughter or Accidental Homicide. Any District Attorney worth their salt could think of at least a dozen Criminal Charges to levy against those LEOs! Those men in Blue deserve Life in Prison, even if they won't last a week serving alongside the prisoners they put there.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   

These stories always shock me. I mean, why didn't the cops just run over the guy with the SWAT van? It doesn't make any sense.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

If you strike somebody once or twice with a police baton you're not likely to kill them. However if you repeatedly strike them while handcuffed 28 times, death is a much bigger possibility. I'm not a big fan of the tazer but lets keep it in the proper perspective here.

They misused the tazer plain as day...

[edit on 8-9-2009 by SLAYER69]

I agree. But what we have is a weapon being touted as non-lethal, that clearly IS lethal. As you dutifully pointed out, the weapon does not matter nearly as much as the officer's training, disposition or actions. The man could have just as easily been killed by a slipper, had it been used with such grossly excessive force.

One thing I thought was interesting was the the fact that the manufacturer strands by the claim that tazers are not lethal, but that this has been proven wrong time and time again.

When a manufacturer of dish soap tells me that his stuff is going to clean my dishes, I suppose I might take it for granted that it will. Perhaps I will even quiet my own reservations about the use of it, knowing that someone I trust has told me that it will work. I wonder if cops aren't being misled as to the lethality of these devices and when you couple that with 'having a bad day', exercising poor judgement, or encountering an unknown medical condition, people die.

I would be all for a sever limit on the use of tazers, as is mentioned in the article to situations that could result in severe injury. The use of tazers for COMPLIANCE has got to stop.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Well, a follow up to my "Tasers don't kill people, Bad Cops do" statement, it has been found that Tasers used on some people with existing medical conditions, or in an elevated state of drug or alcohol intoxication, or those who are in combustible or flammable conditions, can be killed with a single discharge of a Taser.

We don't expect Doctors and Pharmacists to make crack, off-the-cuff decisions on whether a medication they are prescribing would cause death in the patients they administer it to. Matter of fact, we do hold them accountable when they do prescribe medication that causes death in a patient whom knowingly had a condition that is contraindicated against usage, or has a known allergy to that drug.

We probably shouldn't expect LEOs to make crack, off-the-cuff decisions either on whether the tool they are using might cause death in the suspects they are using it on...when in doubt they should refrain from using that tool unless absolutely necessary.

Although, in the least, just like we hold Doctors and Pharmacists accountable, we should probably hold LEOs accountable too when they make the wrong decision and set a soused bum on fire or send a 98 year old man into cardiac arrest.

In the least, would it be too much to ask for a lesser powerful version of the Taser? 14K Volts has the same effect as 50K Volts, but with much less risk to the suspect (or in this case "victim"). Maybe we just need to give them the AAA Version of a Taser instead of a DDD Version. After all, we don't think it's appropriate for LEOs to be packing 50 cal. but do allow them to pack 9mm. Rather than take their tools away we just need to ask them to use a smaller (and thereby less lethal) tool.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Let's add the names of those thugs to the list of asteroid orifices who abuse their powers.

No wonder more and more people are hating cops.

I wonder why the good cops are not disassociating themselves and speaking out publicly against this type of thing. Why do the good cops let the few bad one's ruin all of their reputations? How come we never hear from the good cops speak out against these thugs on ATS? I see other cops and cop lovers always making excuses for this conduct. It makes me want to puke on the next cop I see.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen

I agree. But what we have is a weapon being touted as non-lethal, that clearly IS lethal. As you dutifully pointed out, the weapon does not matter nearly as much as the officer's training, disposition or actions. The man could have just as easily been killed by a slipper, had it been used with such grossly excessive force.

I highly doubt that in the instruction manual from the manufacturer it states.

For best results repeat process 28 times!

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

I highly doubt that in the instruction manual from the manufacturer it states.

For best results repeat process 28 times!

So true. Absolutely NO argument here.

On a side note, my step mom used to be really good with an extension cord. They could just carry one of those. Oh, but dang it, I suppose those have been lethal too.

Perhaps new holographic glasses that make every 'perp' appear to actually be a human being.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
To be fair, does anyone have a link to anyone using the term "Non-Lethal" or emphatically denying the tasers ability to kill?

I remember hearing the term "Less-Lethal" when alternative police compliance tools are being referred to; because when used properly, that's what they are. Rarely if ever lethal barring abuse or freak occurrence.

And I hope I'm not the only one who sees the absurdity of the title of the article. Anything CAN kill when used improperly.

[edit on 9/8/2009 by eNumbra]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Some kid I heard about was selling tasers over the internet. These things shouldn't be available to most people either. Pretty much anything has the potential of being abused. Paintball guns, waterguns etc.

I was tasered when I was homeless and wasn't even arrested. The prongs weren't pulled out for a couple of weeks either. I was pretty messed up. I was even accused of being a gang member because I was wearing some anti-gang bling. It was a miracle I survived on the streets.

I recalled being shot at by a gang that walked past me and a Chicago cop just watched from across the street. I was carrying a water bottle in my left hand and they shot a hole through it and it hit someone else in front of me in the knee. Strange days.

I recall the taser prongs more than being tasered.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

They adhere to this government spec:

Non-lethal weapons (NLWs) are defined in DoD Policy Directive 3000.3, Policy for Non-Lethal Weapons, dated July 9, 1996, as: “… weapons … explicitly designed and primarily employed … to incapacitate personnel or materiel, while minimizing fatalities, permanent injury to personnel, and undesired damage to property and the environment.”

It really IS just semantics.
PDF containing that text

In the history at taser.com, they go into the founders goals for making a non-lethal device, but apparently shy away from any mention of the terms on their website proper.

As far as DoD is concerned, 'less-lethal' and 'Non-Lethal' are really the same thing.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   

In the history at taser.com, they go into the founders goals for making a non-lethal device, but apparently shy away from any mention of the terms on their website proper.

As far as DoD is concerned, 'less-lethal' and 'Non-Lethal' are really the same thing.

I see, thanks for the pdf.

That's a dangerous misuse of the English language quite frankly "non" creates an obvious indication of something not being whatever the prefix precedes. If anybody is assuming that a Taser is actually non-lethal they sorely need to have the weapon taken from them and be educated on the device because thankfully the word weapon does still exist in the term "Non-Lethal Weapon". No weapon is not lethal or it wouldn't be a weapon and some people seem to be forgetting that.

Nomenclature ethics aside; the problem is still with the weapons use and discretion thereof and less of the weapon itself.

Anybody using the device needs to know the truth about what they're wielding, frankly if they can't figure that out from the sheer idea of what it is and does then they probably shouldn't be using it in the first place. 28 times? If that's an accurate count the cops need to be dismissed.

[edit on 9/8/2009 by eNumbra]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

You're quite welcome and I agree completely. It's still a weapon and I would hope that even a basic understanding of it's operation would lead an officer to exercise extreme caution, but I was just wondering if the fluffy 'non-lethal' hype that surrounds these things leads officers to be more complacent in their use.

I would wish that it wouldn't but it seems that a taser has become a great way to stop a runaway girl, ignite a drug addict, shock a guy off a tractor, stop a granny from arguing or just plan kill a guy while activating the damn thing 28 times. Maybe a taser that would lock up after being activated five times or so...

Hell, if you have to taze somebody more than five times, just shoot 'em already. Maybe a well placed bullet would be less lethal than the taser.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Hmmmm, sounds like cruel and unusual punishment to me. Wasn't the electric chair banned for that very reason? Seems we've found away to make the electric chair portable and have given the cops the job of judge, jury and executioner! Given the fact that these devices have killed so many people so far, perhaps it is time to remove them from the hands of these sadists. I mean... just a thought.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
If he hadn't have threatened the police with a steel bar, he wouldn't have been stunned in the first place. Don't people on crack have higher instances of death by taser than sober criminals?

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Remember;

When you die by taser, you die being tortured to death in excruciating agony.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
Remember;

When you die by taser, you die being tortured to death in excruciating agony.

So would being beaten to death while handcuffed by a cop with a baton.

Perspective people.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join