It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Up to $3,800 fine for failure get health insurance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Up to $3,800 fine for failure get health insurance

www.breitbart.com

A top senator is calling for fines of up to $3,800 on families who fail to get medical insurance after a health care overhaul goes into effect.

The plan from Democratic Sen. Max Baucus of Montana would make health insurance mandatory, just like auto coverage. It would provide tax credits to help cover the cost for people making up to three times the federal poverty level. That's about $66,000 for a family of four, and $32,000 for an individual.

But those who still don't sign up would fa
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   

But those who still don't sign up would face hefty fines, starting at $750 a year for individuals and $1,500 for families. The maximum penalty on individuals would be $950.

Well this is not the first time i've been hearing about this.
Even if this specific amount doesn't go into effect, some other amount surely will.

It's not We The People
It's now We The Corporations

Welcome to the new world!

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I wouldn't pay the fines, screw them.

This is totally unconstitutional piece of garbage statement made by that guy, I hope the people in Montana do us all a favor and kick this guy out on his kiester.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Those who are selfish are getting what they are asking for. If they continue, I hope it is worse.

But honestly, if draconian measures are what's needed for bipartisan support then that should speak volumes as to the truth of the matter, which should require no further elaboration for the awakened.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

Bipartisan
man I hate that word

I just call them republicrats

Once people stop believing in the two party system things will get better... if that ever happens that is.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Massachusetts already does this.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Archon_Adept

wow

The individual mandate is a requirement that all Massachusetts residents over the age of 18, for whom available health insurance is affordable, obtain and maintain health insurance that meets minimum coverage requirements beginning July 1, 2007.

Individuals who cannot show proof of health insurance coverage by Dec. 31, 2007, will lose their personal income tax exemption when filing their 2007 income taxes. The 2006 personal exemption is $3,850 for an individual, which translates into a tax savings of approximately $204 for an individual (5.3 percent of $3,850).

Failure to meet the requirement in 2008 will result in a fine for each month the individual does not have coverage.

www.mass.gov...

You are correct

Color me surprised

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
This makes me laugh, I can't afford health care, where do they think I'd get $3,800 to pay them for not having health care?

This would be less ridiculous if "health care" was a government responsibility and not run by private corporations. Why should we pay the government a fine for not giving our hard earned money to a separate entity all together??

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
With the current cost of health insurance, and the continuous yearly increase in cost, the fine will be cheaper. As it stands right now, we pay $3,600 plus per year in health insurance via employer, and that's with a $6,000 deductible. So before the insurance company touches a bill, we have to shell out almost $10,000.

[edit on 8-9-2009 by Mekanic]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

So are you saying that, me wanting to keep the money that I earn and have the government stop legislating in the corporations best interest instead of the peoples best interest is selfish?

This is the way I see it, if the government actually worked for the people health care and the cost of living would be affordable, instead they keep letting their corporate masters run buck wild over us and the constitution and making a living keeps getting harder.

If what you mean by your statement that people are selfish because they want to keep the money they earn in order to put food on the table and go on vacation to get away from it all and take a well needed break, then you couldn't be more wrong.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Once people stop believing in the two party system things will get better... if that ever happens that is.

I don't think any answers lie in a system if the people aren't really any different in their hearts as the whole enchilada will just take the same direction again. Yeah, it begins with one's self. The world will reflect the mindset of those within it. The uncaringness and greed of the systems reflect the same of the populations. On the bright side, I think there is currently a shift in the right direction while there is a minority that will fervently resist it until they have passed into dust.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Difference between auto coverage and health insurance is that you don't have to have a car. Especially for poorer folk this is very much true. You don't have to have a car but you cannot choose not to live, well you can but that's whole different topic.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Accept it for value and return it. And if they come knocking once more, I will have my plucky-guns raised and ready! pow!

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
wow ... absolutely ludicrous who in the world do these people think they are? what if someone makes minimum wage... i doubt the public option will be affordable when your making about 15k a year .... hell a living space is almost impossible to keep at 15k a year

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
So let me see...

I refuse to get the insurance
(or happen to be in a class which lacks the wealth to comply)

They fine me.... $3800.00
I then refuse to pay

They garnish my wages causing me to plummet into debt.
I STILL have no life insurance ...

Do they FINE me again?

How is this not a mandatory tax?

If they develop a plan to provide "access to health care" (Dear God, how I hate that meme
) Is that not wealth for a private insurance company, or will their be a public option after all as a form of welfare.

Where does this end?

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I thought this was a b.s. post but I just saw that on Yahoo News.
Holy Cow!
Let's see them enforce this IF it comes to pass.
Chances are it won't come close.

MBF

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I had insurance all my life until the gov screwed me and put me in a position that I can't afford insurance. They put me in this situation and now they want to fine me for it????

top topics

join