It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court on Campaign Finance Tomorrow

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Chilled Zen

You need to actually read the transcripts and check out how this ties into the NRA issues...

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I am just bumping this back up once more today, I find it really hard to believe that noone is interested in this thread. I was concerned putting out the first run basically unwashed (yet) set of documents and yet noone wants to talk about it?

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Well there is a reason for that. Many here are Conservatives....but many of those Conservatives ARE FAKE. I don't know how many people here bring out nothing but criticisms but never any ideas of their own.

If supreme court allows this...we can kiss our country goodbye.

...and everyone is worried about ACORN. WHAT THE HELL PEOPLE?

If it were up to me...this thread would be on the front page and I absolutely agree that this should get more attention.

This will seal our fate and I hate the power that the Supreme Court has. People get caught up in abortion and everything else and miss the bigger picture.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Thankyou David, i dont know about the conservatism on the boards but I guess this why some of us snoop for the real news when big media happenings are going on. I am beginning to think that the real issues are always hidden on the back burners and never really for public eyes.

Are you familiar with the reality/ issues of the free and sovereign individual?

So many of the Draconian cracks they make in this were just like whoa, I was left just thinking, the average person/slave just has no idea what is being said here!

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Of course...you won't see nary a Republican post in this thread...they love corporations...but then again...Democrats are no different. They are using certain corporations to attack the health insurance industry...which is really just another leeching bank.

WRONG I can love capitalism but not the Corporatocracy or Corpocracy we have today.

Corporations have no business or rights when it comes to influencing the US government. When they are multinational corporations and our Congress critters take the funds in exchange for laws that hurt this country they should all be up on charges of treason. Pres. Clinton with his Monsanto connection, Robert Shaperio, (CEO) and the World Trade Organization comes to mind.

Also I vote who ever is in office OUT unless I have a very good reason to keep the critter in office.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Thankyou David, i dont know about the conservatism on the boards but I guess this why some of us snoop for the real news when big media happenings are going on. I am beginning to think that the real issues are always hidden on the back burners and never really for public eyes.

This is why I come to ATS. The news media was bought and paid for in 1917 by the FED. Actually I hate the left wing right wing designations. I prefer the "overlords" vs the serfs
I figure that is a much better description of the dynamics of what is really going on.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Ok so now we have an update to keep an eye on...

Obama Vows to Fight Supreme Court Campaign Finance Decision

FOXNews.com

President Obama blasts Supreme Court ruling easing limits on corporate campaign spending; says he's working with Congress on a 'forceful bipartisan response.'

print email share recommend (0)

President Obama smiles at a town hall meeting at Lorain County Community College in Elyria, Ohio, Jan. 22. (AP Photo)
President Obama on Saturday promised to fight a Supreme Court decision easing limits on political donations by corporations and unions, saying he couldn't "think of anything more devastating to the public interest."

In its 5-4 decision this week, the high court overturned two decisions and threw out parts of a 63-year-old law that said companies and unions can be prohibited from using their own money to produce and run campaign ads that urge the election or defeat of particular candidates by name.

The case involved a film by conservative group Citizens United, which criticized then-presidential candidate Hillary Clinton during the 2008 Democratic presidential primary campaign.

Supporters called the decision a big win for free speech.

But in his weekly radio and Internet message Obama said it was unacceptable.

"This ruling opens the floodgates for an unlimited amount of special interest money into our democracy," the president said. "It gives the special interest lobbyists new leverage to spend millions on advertising to persuade elected officials to vote their way -- or to punish those who don't."

Obama said that means public servants who stand up to Wall Street banks, oil companies, health insurers and other powerful interests could find themselves under attack when election time rolls around.

"The last thing we need to do is hand more influence to the lobbyists in Washington or more power to the special interests to tip the outcome of elections," he said.

Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell disagreed, calling the ruling a "monumental decision" that restores First Amendment rights to those who want to "express themselves about political candidates."

"Our democracy depends upon free speech, not just for some but for all," he said in a statement.

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce, AFL-CIO, National Rifle Association and other groups also sided with Citizens United in calling for a loosening of restrictions.

"This is a victory for Citizens United, but even more so for the First Amendment rights of all Americans," said Citizens United President David Bossie. "The fault line on this issue does not split liberals and conservatives or Republicans and Democrats. Instead, it pits entrenched establishment politicians against the very people whom they are elected to serve."

The court issued its ruling just as crucial midterm election campaigns are getting under way and as Obama's Democratic Party feels the pressure from a string of losses in New Jersey, Virginia and in Massachusetts, where this week Republican Scott Brown came from behind to win a Senate seat Democrats had held for decades.

Obama said the decision will make it harder to enact financial reforms, close tax loopholes, promote energy independence and protect patients from insurance company abuses -- key elements of his domestic agenda.

"We don't need to give any more voice to the powerful interests that already drown out the voices of everyday Americans," he said. "And we don't intend to."

He said he has instructed his administration to work with Congress to "fight for the American people" and develop a "forceful bipartisan response" to the decision.

"It will be a priority for us until we repair the damage that has been done," Obama said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

www.foxnews.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join