It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Positive Reaction to ACC: "Restoring Ecosystems Biggest Untapped Ally in Fighting Climate Change.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
The Link

Well, whether you believe in Anthropogenic Climate Change or not there is undoubtedly going to be (re)actions made on account of this theory.

Some of these (re)actions will be less than acceptable, such as the so commonly dreaded Carbon Tax. A tax that most here on ATS know all about, which is intended to reduce the amount of carbon emitted by human actions by taxing its production. A tax many are furious about and one of the many root arguments against the reality of ACC, that it is simply another ploy to take our money.

The above story however in my humble opinion is an example of a positive (re)action to the theory of ACC, "Restoring Ecosystems Biggest Untapped Ally in Fighting Climate Change". This is really awesome. As a professional whose main interests lie in the (re)formation of a harmonic between human and natural systems such news really tickle my fancy.

"natural systems represent one of the biggest untapped allies" in combatting climate change, because of their carbon storage potential -- and that incorporating funding for forests in a global climate deal should be a key priority:

TEEB highlights the fact that in addition to absorbing some 15% of global carbon emissions, forests provide a whole range of ecosystem services that are worthy of protecting. In addition, funding efforts to preserve forests such as REDD could also be an important tool in addressing poverty.

It is cool because it addresses the roll that nature can play in helping to ameliorate our impacts on planetary systems, recognizing the 'free services' natural systems contribute to our well-being, and looks upon natural systems as tools that can be utilized in addressing poverty. Cool stuff!

TEEB points out that the rate of return on investments to preserve the Earth's ecological infrastructure can offer a great return on investment. An investment in maintaining natural areas of $45 billion could preserve some $5 trillion a year in (currently unpaid for) ecosystem services.

So many people are probably unaware of the concept of 'free ecological services' so I will briefly explain it to you to help validate this statement.

Natural systems have beneficial impacts on human well-being in a plethora of ways. For example, at the most basic level a healthy ecosystem provides fresh air for us to breath, something we can all appreciate.

However, there are many other more subtle ways that properly functioning ecological systems benefit humans. The services they provide include the elimination of human wastes, purification of water, managing the 'storm water' and 'waste water' from the human (built) landscape, pollination, and on and on and on.

Currently in our economic system we assign little or no value to these services that nature provides for us free of charge. This is a bit inappropriate for if these services were to shut down we would be in some serious trouble.

For these reasons looking at restoring and repairing destroyed and degraded environments is a good thing for both us and the planet.

The link to the original paper is here: The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity

Enjoy.

[edit on 8-9-2009 by Animal]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
You're so right Animal. I don't understand why this thread has
been missed by everyone. (?) It seems an important issue to
me. While I don't argue with climate change as something that
is actually occurring I do differ with the ICCP as to why. I think
the science on this issue is far from being settled despite the reams
of evidence the UN shoves at us. It is my belief that the UN has
their own agenda to push and the global warming debate fits
neatly into their plans for intra-national control.

Global warming could also be the result of deforestation and (I forget
the exact term here) the increase in blacktop area and other urban
structures. It may well also be a natural cycle totally unrelated to
industrial activity.

Natural sequestration is eminently sensible, it will also help provide
much-needed rain to some areas as well as increasing wildlife habitat.
good thread, s&f!

join