It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama warns about facebook use?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by AgnosticX
Here is the story.

news.yahoo.com...

ARLINGTON, Va. – President Barack Obama went forward with a controversial speech to students nationwide Tuesday, preceding it by advising young people at a suburban Virginia school to "be careful what you post on Facebook."

"Whatever you do," he told them, "it will be pulled up later in your life."

I don't get it. I don't use these things but I know alot of people that do. So I began to wonder about this.

That seems to be a pretty ominous statement. I have seen alot on the internet about facebook and myspace being used to spy on people's personal lives, but I never paid any mind to it (I mean there is a conspiravy theory behind everything today). But by the president openly stating that it will be pulled up later in life is kind of unnerving. I mean, knowing that something most people probably don't take serious may be used against you for whatever is... well, kind of odd I guess.

I may be misreading the statements, I don't know. I just figured I'd share and see what people's thoughts were.

I really don't know what to make out of this satement.

Any thoughts?

[edit on 8-9-2009 by AgnosticX]

I think he's saying "Big Brother is watching you - in a nutshell." Or, perhaps, he's refering to the teens that have been sending nude shots of themselves to people, ect... Those stupid antics can come back to haunt you later in life when you want an employer to take you seriously.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
The people who own Facebook seem to have connection to government agencies and giant corporations. So; there should not be any doubt; if your posts on Facebook are not monitored.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
it makes you think he's gonna use your info against you and then when you complain, he'll be able to say "told you so!"

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   
See my post in an older thread on a similar topic:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I posted that about a year ago; I have heard a lot more since then. It is not within the scope of my current duties to ever have the chance to review MySpace or Facebook pages and the like, however I know the companies are still providing law enforcement agencies with the "master password" type accounts, where all of a user's activities can be viewed. And that includes things posted and deleted long ago. In addition, a friend of mine who knows a heck of a lot more about computers than I do has speculated that he would not be surprised if those pages have a way of installing a discreet keylogger on the person's computer, or a way of monitoring the entire system whenever the person is logged into MySpace or Facebook. The amount of detail of past things posted on those pages is downright incredible, so I can imagine what else the sites are capable of doing.

I just re-read my older post and want to clarify something. The task force meetings we had were common and go back at least 20 years. I worked in a suburban community and the character of the area was generally similar. We were a bunch of underfunded smaller towns and it seemed almost every Chief wanted to set up a task force for something or other. We had task forces for B&E, auto theft, scams and financial crimes, etc. I am not talking about tactical response teams or anything of the sort, I simply mean a group of officers and detectives who met periodically in a roundtable-style setting and shared information. I understand the term "task force" can be misconstrued easily as meaning a SWAT team type group; this was not the case.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Well what he did IMO about FB and other sites like it was good. He was telling you to be careful because what you do might catch up to you later on. I totally get what he meant by that and I knew many on here would see it in many different ways. I even told my roommate that someone on here would post about this..lol I mean if you ever look at the news its always the younger crowd(no offense) that is getting into trouble and getting killed, raped or hurt by doing stupid stuff on these sites. People shouldnt post their entire life on these sites for heavens sake! Keep it private, only add people you KNOW! I have both a FB(not cause I wanted one) and a myspace but I only add my immediate family and close friends. Most of the HS aged crowd use these sites as a popularity contest to see who can have the most friends. I mean that in itself means you have issues to me : ) You never know who you are really talking to online and at that age you tend to be a little more naieve and think they are who they say they are.

I know people dont want their kids being told what to do by the President but its obvious the parents arent saying anything or even looking into it! Its harmless and most kids do look at the President in a different way than us adults. (Im not saying I agree with him on all accounts, I honestly dont like him much but this is one I agree with) Its like a Policeman telling you not to talk to strangers, you listen....My friends EIGHT YEAR old daughter had a myspace and she had no clue and why? Because she didnt care to know what her kid was doing. She made her delete it and explained to her why she couldnt have one but she should have done that from the beginning. I see this a lot with people and their kids now-a-days. Put them in front of the tv or computer and be done with them.

Places like FB and Myspace IMO are nothing but trouble when you have it open for all to see. I keep mine private and I only have one or two pics and I dont post personal information on there either. I see some people post stuff on these sites and they are asking for trouble! These sites imo also cause problems in relationships....believe me I have seen it first hand. I told my roommate last night that whoever thought up these sites was a genius in a sense. What a great way to spy on anyone you want.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join