It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you seen this show Hoarders?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Last night I decided to check out this new show on A&E, Hoarders.

I did this because a long time friend of my mothers has this problem. Watching the show I was in shock that these people would subject themselves to such a disgusting lifestyle.

The premise behind the show is they find these people that have this problem, so bad they have now come to a point where the law is involved, and they try and get this people back on track. Whatever that means.

Anyway, after watching the second episode they flash little tidbits of information on the screen explaining what they are doing and what is wrong with these people.

What really got me was when they called this hoarding a "disorder". I do truly believe it is a disorder. But I had a moment of "clarity" so to speak.

I honestly believe that these people were not born this way, but have become a product of there environment. It comes back to "fear and consumption". When this though came into my head I was in awe. Have we as a society, created this disorder.

I believe we have. These people are hell bent on consuming so much and are literally driven to the point of insanity if you try to take anything away from them.

I just wanted to share this thought with you guys because it really made me sick to my stomach.

What a world we live in. On one side of the planet you have people that don't have a pot to piss in and the other side we have people that have too much. But it doesn't stop there. They have so much that we now tell them it's not allowed. And then we put them on T.V. for entertainment value.

The very idea that we have created these people and then tell them they can't be that way, makes me ill.

It is my belief that this "hoarding" disorder is a result of our surroundings. A man made disorder if you will.

The show is terrible and these people should not be made a spectacle.

Sorry for the ranting. I would like to hear what others feel.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I won't watch it again after last weekend, yeah it was very disturbing. Especially the old lady with the house full of crap and trash, she kept fighting her daughters and the professional crew that was there at no charge, not allowing them to get rid of anything. I do think it is a sign of mental imbalance, but the way they fight people there to help them just kinda grosses me out.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Yeah i saw some of it but i couldnt watch it all. I had to change the channel, it was very disturbing as it reminded me of a family member...

PEACE!!!

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Clearly, the only solution is for government to take over our health care and mandate what's good for us. In other words, in order for a government who refuses to accept any responsibility for failure to succeed is to give that same failed government more power.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Lichter daraus

Sorry to hear that. It must be difficult to see this crap on T.V. after experiencing it first hand.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I have seen the show, and I also know a person who has a serious hoarding problem. Every week she visits thrift shops, and garage sales bringing in yet more stuff she doesn't need. Her house is stuffed full, and, she has in the last couple of years, filled up 2 storage sheds besides.

The difference with this person is that although you can't even hardly walk sideways in her house down the hallway, she is clean. Her house is just filled to the brim with things.

This girl grew up in a household that was very poor. They had 1 bicycle for 4 children to share. She never had new clothes, and they barely had enough to eat.

While I agree with this being an illness, I think my friend hoards because she grew up in a household with nothing.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Yeah I work with an older lady who is a hoarder. She takes every single empty box ever set out in the hallway for trash pick up. We have 5 floors in this building but she can smell a box a mile away and as soon as you set it out she mysteriously appears to nab it. She too goes to thrift stores, every single day on her lunch hour. She spends tons of money on crap but she is always broke. Last week she asked to borrow a quarter so she would have enough money to stop and get a can of tuna for her cats on the way home.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by DazE777

Yeah especially how they make a spectacle of these people. They need real help, not be put on tv for others to judge them. I hope that show fails big time...

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I watched the show last night and there was a couple who had a bunch of cats and a huge mess in there house. By the end of the show they found 75 living and dead cats in there home. I feel bad for all those poor animals it was very disturbing.

new topics

top topics

join