It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

United States considering $10

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
A proposal currently under consideration in the U.S. Congress may soon charge visitors to the United States a $10 entry fee.

Source

Is this really gonna finance PR for tourism or does the money go elsewhere?

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Do any other countries charge their visitors?

2nd line

From reading the article it doesn't sound like. We should pay people $10 to come. The money they spend on vacations here far outweighs the money from this fee.

[edit on 8-9-2009 by jjkenobi]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   
i think thats just dumb
Don't we already pay a Tax and government charges on plane tickets?
When tourist come into the country don't they pay tax on the good and services that they purchase?

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Some countries charge an entry fee. Some charge an exit fee. These fees usually go to defray the costs of running immigration. The people that check passports and the databases and immigration processing all cost money.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I've read somewhere that tourists spent last year around 9.5 billion $ in the US.

If I gonna pay $ 10 as an entrance fee I want a free drink voucher to go with that!

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by JFletcher

Why?

When people decide to go waste hundreds or thousands on vacations and holidays they are paying exhorbitant fees on all kinds of useless things. Why is ten dollars to actually support running something as important as an immigration service such a burden?

I'd rather spend ten dollars at immigration and know that it was safe and above board to travel to and from a country than to blow the same ten dollars on a personalized keyring at Disney world or a souvenier snow globe of the statue of liberty but have the immigration service suck because they didn't have the cash for proper people and equipment.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I wonder how they will be able to enforce this new tariff on illegal immigrants, after all hundreds of thousands comes illegal through the borders.

Sorry about my rant, I forgot that illegals entry to the country is free.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
A ten dollar entrance fee?

Sorry.. I know the whole uber Capitalism thing is important to most of ye but do you honestly think that a $10 entrance fee is going to make you look like anything other than a country full of pretentious assholes?

The US is not a theme park or a movie.

I know all governments are idiots, including mine but an Entrance fee?

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

The cost are already paid in the form of taxes or other fees.

Like anything else fees imposed are just a way to raise taxes for. Governments imposed landing fees at airports to supposedly pay for airport services, but then at many it ends up going into the general budget - alas another fee is needed to make up for the one that was spent elsewhere.

Every bill I get has fees attached - the fees on my phone bill is more than my phone bill used to be.

Fees - just another way to create secondary invoices for doing nothing more than has already been paid for, so certain people can take more of your money for doing nothing more.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

the irish government charges a tenner to leave the country, what does that make us look like?

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by pieman
reply to post by Dermo

the irish government charges a tenner to leave the country, what does that make us look like?

well thats alright that money probably just goes to get you guys more beer. Everyone knows them Irish need there beer

but in America, probably just goes to buying more ammunition

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo

I know all governments are idiots, including mine but an Entrance fee?

There are already countries that have entrance and exit tarrifs.
it costs money to run immigration.
Very simple concept.

If you use it then you should pay for the use. That's what is wrong with the world today, especially expectations in the US and of the US? For some reason everybody thinks they should get everything for free.

If you can't afford a ten dollar entry fee then how are you going to afford the high taxes and exhorbitant fees that vacationers pay?

Unless of course the subject in question is coming to the US to get onto the already HUGE freebie train whereby half of the population has become a parasitical drain on the other half who actually work and pay their bills and taxes. Lets not forget the trillions that are spent by the US on the rest of the planet that we taxpayers get saddled with as well.

I guess if you expect to live for free off of the taxpayers then 10 dollars is just too much to ask but visitors will blow hundreds or thousands on virtually nothing. A ten dollar fee to continue to pay for proper immigration is not outrageous.

of course if that money is going to bail out some more banks and billionaires or to finance another oilfield for the presidents buddy or another war somewhere then we might as well not do it.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by pieman
reply to post by Dermo

Haha, Im not sure what that make us look like.

Weirdo's ??

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Alot of countries charge fee's or taxes upon arrival or departure or both. The Philippines charges an "airport tax" that you pay, along with whatever the custom's folks decide to take from your luggage.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

There are already countries that have entrance and exit tarrifs.
it costs money to run immigration.
Very simple concept.

If you use it then you should pay for the use. That's what is wrong with the world today, especially expectations in the US and of the US? For some reason everybody thinks they should get everything for free.

I'm not sure you know how at least a EU tourist entering the US is treated.

Last time I was standing at "The Gates" is was asked what I do for a living, how can I afford to travel to the US and if I had enough money to spend. After I showed to that latin looking guy "The Gates" that I have traveller cheques and cash money enough to stay 6 months, het let me pass and quit asking stupid questions.

I'm not sure if Europeans would do the same to US citizens how the reaction would be

For sure I know what it would be when they arrive in Germany.....damn NAZIS!!

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by JFletcher
A proposal currently under consideration in the U.S. Congress may soon charge visitors to the United States a $10 entry fee.

Source

Is this really gonna finance PR for tourism or does the money go elsewhere?

HAHA they already charge damn $10 to walk onto the ugly jersey shore. Who the hell owns the ocean? If they can charge 10 bucks to see nothing but overly tanned and saggy jersey asses on an ugly and bare beach.... i wouldnt doubt they would charge 10 dollars to get into the US.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by JFletcher

You came through customs and immigration, they asked annoying questions. That's what they do.
I live in the US and travel. I get asked where I was and how long. Sometimes they ask what kind of work I did.

Once I was held at JFK for three hours and they never gave me a reason. They just kept asking if I'd ever lived in Florida.

The guy coming in from Germany that was in there with me had been bringing undeclared meat products into the country and gotten caught. He was a kielbasa smuggler, apparently. We waited while they cleared things up and I went home. I got an apology. Sausage-boy got a fine.

All I'm saying is that with the millions of people that get processed through the US borders every month there will be issues even with everyday things. To make this process work better with the ever increasing immigration traffic costs a lot of money.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
It cost me 16 dollars to leave Manila Phillipines. That was in Nov 2007. if i didnt have the money there was no leaving.I would be curious as to how much it has inflated since.
DWT

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
In this case the 10 bucks aren't for promoting tourism in the US but for border security. As well the bucks may finance the war on terror, who knows.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I wonder how they will be able to enforce this new tariff on illegal immigrants, after all hundreds of thousands comes illegal through the borders.

Sorry about my rant, I forgot that illegals entry to the country is free.

Many forget the costs of sending them home on jet planes also.

It's interesting to note about how many of these people are using fake social security numbers and that the system rather than stop it, are absorbing the money for the other losses. Can't say I would blame them for doing so, but it does seem like enabling them as well and throws up the red flag of conspiracy.

And if they do that, than selling illegal drugs etc. they seize may not be so far fetched either.

[edit on 8-9-2009 by aleon1018]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join