It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA moves to ban flavored cigarettes, but not MENTHOL?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   

FDA moves to ban flavored cigarettes, but not MENTHOL?

opntalk.blogspot.com

President Barack Obama, admittedly still struggling with his own nicotine habit, saluted passage of the bill, which he will soon sign. He said, "For over a decade, leaders of both parties have fought to prevent tobacco companies from marketing their products to children and provide the public with the information they need to understand what a dangerous habit this is."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.msnbc.msn.com

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I am not sure how reliable this site is on all its information but a good read nonetheless. But I did just see it in the news and I am outraged. This is my first post BTW

Anyways if Barack Obama does have a nicotine addiction, I think it kinda strange that menthol is not being banned.(maybe because he prefers menthols). But I am not saying that just because he is black(but 75% of black people do prefer menthol cigarettes).

Not ban menthols? which are pretty much the WORST cigarette possible, they have the highest nicotene and some weird chemical that makes them taste minty YUCK. Also I know a lot of people who USE to smoke menthol but quit because they kept coughing up blood.

What is your thoughts on this? I just think this is a VERY strange thing to do out of the blue.

opntalk.blogspot.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Pretty good post for your first one. Hats off to you and look forward to more down the road. Unfortunately, I'm going to refrain from any off-colored remarks dealin with the menthol issue.. I just don't wanna go there man

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I'm white and smoke menthol.

I only started because, well I have a bunch of white friends, and 9 out of 10 times when they try to bum a smoke, I say yes, and then they see it's menthol and decline.

Score!

Good thing Obama isn't struggling with an alcohol addiction, I hope he's not an angry drunk
"Damn Koreans, Bomb both of them!!!!" lol. What a hangover that would be!

I know I should quit the menthol though.

lol, the Whole site is how summed up "Whites are destroying blacks".

lol, remarkable really!

What for example is a 'flavored' cigarette, like camels fire one, and stuff?

[edit on 8-9-2009 by Republican08]

One possible answer? They do not care if they die? Maybe, just maybe, they see the fact that 75 percent of Black Smokers smoke Menthol is a good thing?

Couldn't Resist!

Btw I smoke Kool Super Longs in a Box, The green ones!

[edit on 8-9-2009 by Republican08]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Just for the record...I don't smoke anymore, but my favorite cigarette was Newport. I've tried some of the flavored cigars, liked few of them though but would dislike seeing them banned. Next, they are going to try and come after my wintergreen skoal.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

HAAA the Kayne video...Oh how I wish he would never speak : )

I smoked menthols for a weekend and had no voice so I went back to lights....I personally like some of the flavored ones esp coconut rum

I dont think banning flavored cigarettes will do anything. If people want to smoke they will.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I smoke menthol as well & I'm of mixed race. (native/white) Funny thing is, I started smoking them because no one else did & therefore no one ever bummed a smoke off of me.

Now my husband smokes those clove cigarello's (sp) on the rare occasion with a glass of green label jack on the rocks. He ended up buying out what the stores had left because they were included in the ban & he is mighty ticked off that Washington has taken something else away from him.

Regardless, this ban is silly IMO & will not do a thing to the rate of teen smokers. I believe educating youth on the hazards of smoking is where the focus should be, not on banning items that adults should have a right to buy.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I think this is stepping over the line when it comes to regulations. I honestly don't feel that the government has a right to tell you what you can and can't do. I believe they should regulate the companies but not by raising taxes...they should force them to take out the bad chemicals in cigarettes.The chemical you are thinking of in menthol ciggs is actually fiberglass. That crap gets in your lungs and tears them up, causes cancer, and can kill you much quicker than regular ciggs. If you smoke stick to the regular ones...or for cheaper roll your own the tobacco is cheaper in most places to roll your own, you get much more per package, and the tobacco doesn't have as many additives to it.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Kinda sorta a little off topic BUT

Why are 'they' banning any ciggies when they are trying to kill us all off

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Well I guess only children enjoy fruit or other flavored items. I mean come on! I am sick of this bull**** argument. Has anyone seen advertisements from tobacco that target children? Can we not have any adult centered items that are flavored? Seriously?? Anyone else feel like they are stuck in a twilight zone episode with no entertaining value?

top topics

join