It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Important Things

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I believe this should be simple. With few words.

Your family. Immediate and extended. This should include those you consider friends. They are integral. They deserve a place in your life.

Your happiness. What. I don't think how and why are the most relevant here. But there may be an argument for those two answers as well.

And the most important:
Your Ethics. Ethics~ Wikipedia

What I consider the unimportant things.

What you consider God.

What your political philosphy is.

Who you idolize from a non personal level.

Other non-essential distractions (i.e. drugs, alcohol junk food)

If any of these interfere with the three important things in the beginning of this post, they then can be considered un-important.

If they assist you in a positive outlook on life and can be linked with your happiness then they should be considered important things. But in my humble opinion, not the most important.

There are exceptions for the important things.

Dont let anything interfere with the important things.

What do you consider as important?

Let me define "important things."

Important Things- The things that allow you to live a meaningful life.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by open_eyeballs
I believe this should be simple. With few words.

Your family. Immediate and extended. This should include those you consider friends. They are integral. They deserve a place in your life.

Your happiness. What. I don't think how and why are the most relevant here. But there may be an argument for those two answers as well.

And the most important:

What I consider the unimportant things.

What you consider God.

What your political philosphy is.

Who you idolize from a non personal level.

Other non-essential distractions (i.e. drugs, alcohol junk food)

If any of these interfere with the three important things in the beginning of this post, they then can be considered un-important.

If they assist you in a positive outlook on life and can be linked with your happiness then they should be considered important things. But in my humble opinion, not the most important.

There are exceptions for the important things.

Dont let anything interfere with the important things.

What do you consider as important?

Let me define "important things."

Important Things- The things that allow you to live a meaningful life.

I tend to agree on some of what you have said but personally God is very important in my life and that is part and parcel of what determines a lot of my ethics.

If I were to make a list in no particular order of what I feel is immediately important to me it would be...

My family and friends

My relationship with God

My health and wellbeing as well as others that I am around if I can have a positive effect on that

In my opinion however, I think everyone is living a meaningful life, its the person that applies values or discounts to their experiences. We all do it but sometimes people forget what values are and then it becomes a case of prioritising discounts and abandoning values. In other words, people kid themselves.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I agree to a certain point, but such as in my case my ethics and personal happiness conflicted with "family" so I had to break ties with them. I have more to say on this but I was up late and just got up and am running on one cup of coffee and can't really think super clear at the moment lol

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by open_eyeballs

And the most important:

These things are at most ... ephemeral, illusory, and important only relative to your own level of spiritual development. The most important thing is you, your own spiritual progress, thats all....

Most of these things are good to have, only if they don't come in your path to progress. If they help, fine, show some gratitude, hold a good amount of detachment towards them ... and move on.

Relatives and friends : If you need them, you are weak, if they need you, they are. If you are lucky you will get good parents and relatives, most people are not. They cling to relations due to their own ignorance and false hope. As I said , good to have them, but they are not your goal.

Happiness : Is subjective, comes and goes. You must endure some suffering to even understand it. One's goal must be to rise above happiness and sorrow. These are only states of lower mind.

Ethics : If its not obvious, they change, from person to person, time to time, place to place. Which ethics ? There are many flavors. Remember that respecting all entities and their freedom is the essence of rational behaviour. Giving up your own freedom is also not a recommended path. The best behaviour is that which leads to your spiritual progress and that of your own kind. Rest are details.

I take it that you are only starting in this field, so don't be shocked.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

And that is just fine.

If your faith does not play a role of hindrance to your growth as a person and helps you to enjoy life.... If it provides a guide for your moral philosophy then so be it... It should be an important thing in your life. But if it is taking you away from the other important things then thats when a step back may be necessary to determine its role in your life.

Again, what I consider/ or dont consider God to be is what I considered to be unimportant...to me. My moral philosphy is not based on a God or his subjective religions. I am in no way trying to tell you what is important to you.

My purpose was for this to help those who struggle with anger about things they can not control. For the unimportant things. The things that others lay before them for reactionary purposes. Usually the goal is to get a certain response from you...

Be it fear from going to hell, patriotism for your country to spark you to join the military or anger from someone calling you a name or arguig with you because they disagree.

I see too any poeple get all riled up and loose their cool for silly issues. They are taking things out of perspective, and letting unimportant things get in the way and limit their exposure to the things that should matter in life above all others.

When a mother or father goes to jail and has to leave their children because they were focused on the unimportant things I find it the most sad and ridiculous situation that could so easily be avoided.

Hopefully my point came across...

Perfect example is race. So many get caught up in it. The color of a man

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Itachimaru

Thats a great example of real conflict. Sometimes ther are disconnections you have to make..Its unfortunate when it happens, but recognizing them as they are is key.

What a bummer. Hopefully things can be reconciled at a later time...

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by open_eyeballs

It was hard at first but over time, it made sense in the long term for me, however I have a different set of ideas and moral standards that I live by than most others so it became a "stay and know I am going to be miserable" or "leave and take a chance" after much thought I left, and have been the better for it.

A reconciliation I doubt will happen, as I am even more set in my way now and they haven't changed either based on limited correspondence between us. I have made my peace with that, I believe you are born into a family but you are not owned by them, as well as I also believe that each person has a purpose, so perhaps my purpose has been to teach them a lesson or vice versa, however I do not think that someone should keep in league with a family if it sacrifices their personal happiness or personal growth

Some will agree with me some won't but its a personal choice for everyone, and at the end of the day, when it counts, only you can be responsible for your own happiness.

I will say that it wasn't always bad with my family just towards the end when I became what I was to become, in a manner of speaking did things turn south.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by open_eyeballs

This is a good exercise in listing all the things we have emotinal attachments to.

I have been trying to get rid of all these attachments. Including family. Yes, my family is still important to me, but why should I feel any differently towards them than any other human beings? It's not like my mother has an obligation to birth me a second time. It would be best I love everyone unconditionally, but that state of mind is difficult to approach and maintain.

The one thing I want to remain attached to, is everything. Nothing else!

top topics

join