It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sign of the times

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Sign of the times

www.infowars.com

An Infowars reader sent in the following photo. “No story needed really. Sign of the times. Bad times are these,” he writes. It is also yet another example why children should be home schooled.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Could someone upload the pic from the link, thanks. Wait I got it.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1b592386229f.jpg[/atsimg]

Can you beleive this? What is wrong with this picture . And sure as you don't pay they will be able to issue a bench warrent. How crappy it is to sue school children. I hope that anyone close to this location will at least protest it with a group of concerned parents.
They might as well put barbed wire up too ... a little more mad each day I get at our system.

www.infowars.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9/7/2009 by Grayelf2009]

[edit on 9/7/2009 by Grayelf2009]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
At my old HS they had a policy if you were late in the morning, even by a second, you were sent to the 'tardy room'.

My teacher used to say: "Oh you're late so let's interrupt your learning some more by taking you out of the classroom for an hour."

It boggles the mind.

[edit on 7-9-2009 by muggl3z]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
...the reason for the fine is because some parents dont care if their kids skip school or show up whenever they want - especially highschool kids... sometimes a lazy parent will do the right thing if the contrary will cost them money... homeschooling is not an option for people like that...

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Gotta love our system expoiting anyting they can make a quick buck. when i was in school, and late, teacher would jsut simply announce out loud, yuor name your late whats your excuse all angry like...but never any punishemnt. hish school was worse! 2 frineds would go and smoke weed at the music room, and sometimes his g/f and he would get it on..show up 30 minutes late to class, and the teachers NEVER said a damn thing. in fact, they pased them jsut to get them oout of school!

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
In my old high school, if you were even a minute late when the bell rang they'd give you a demerit...if you got a certain amount of those you'd go to ISS or OSS depending. This looks like it could be Photoshopped though, the font is too big for the the slide rails for the letter inserts...and there is a font inconsistency throughout the sign...probably fake. Signs are really really easy to Photoshop.

It also doesn't mention it on the school website: www.dallasisd.org...

Which is a clear sign it's fake.

[edit on 7-9-2009 by yellowcard]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by yellowcard

I did a little research, an according to an Educators Handbook I found on Texas schools, it could very well be true. The pdf file quotes a law code section 25.093 and states the parents can be fined a max fine up to $500.00 for tardiness 3 or more times in 4 weeks, or 10 eunexcused absecnces in 6 months

It is listed a s a Class C misdameanor, and each day of absence may be considered a seperate offense.

Google An eduators guide to Texas law, the link is too large for me to use.

So, it is a true law. Also found this is law in many other states, as well.

Another link:

Any child who has attained the age of six years, but has not reached his or her eighth birthday, who has been absent or tardy from school without a valid excuse for THREE days or more, is considered a TRUANT. The law defines a HABITUAL TRUANT as any student who has been reported as truant two or more times. An parent, guardian, or custodian who fails to comply with these requirements may face fine of $100 for the first offense, and $250 for the second offense and may be charged with educational neglect and/or unlawful transaction with a minor.
www.jefferson.k12.ky.us...

[edit on 8-9-2009 by Libertygal]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by yellowcard

My apologies, me and links don't get along.

Here is my first link, don't know why it won't show up.

www.springbranchisd.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
In most of my school years, I was always late every once in a while, definetly more than 3 times in the entire year...

Why? Because I was living far from school and every morning I had to do 1h by car...and sometimes there were too much traffic... and I was late.

At least in Canada where I was we didn't have this non-sense.

Anyway, im pretty sure this BS is unconstitutional...but eh, who cares about the constitution.

Nazi parents running the schools...
Probably the sons and daughters of the parents that believed in this whole Reefer Madness thingee in the 30s.

[edit on 8-9-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Call them in the mornning and find out if its true. I am certain they will be honest and not evenn know what your talking about. IT was probably a photo prank.

North Dallas High School
3120 N. Haskell Ave. Dallas, TX 75204

Phone: (972) 925-1500
Fax: (972) 925-1501

If I remember in the morning ill call them myselves.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
If this isn't a prank, this is pretty pathetic.

I agree with Vitchilo, this is almost certainly unconstitutional. That term really is losing its meaning as days progress it seems.

Hopefully this situation can be somehow fixed or reversed. Much as being late is a problem to people who run schools can be, some situations in a given families life cannot be helped and being late happens. Adding overexaggerated fines will only complicate this further.

[edit on 8-9-2009 by Erithial]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

Yeah, that's pretty much how most of the main school districts in the Dallas/Fort Worth area are now.

I'm not saying it's fake, because DISD keeps doing things that make me shake my head. What makes me question this is that just about anything DISD does is all over the news here (D/FW), and I haven't heard a single thing about this.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Well people I actually c alled and it IS true. The sign is real, and according to the lady she said three times tardy is an absence. And if any student accumalates three absences as a result of tardies, the law automaticallly kicks it into truancy, where the court has the authority to levy a fine.

Im pretty sure thats how she explained it. Technically it is the court levying the fine, not the school.

I sure amm thankful that didnt happpen in my highschool.

Just call them yall if you dont believe it.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by DYepes

Wow. I wish I could feel surprised.

Props on give'n them a call and confirming.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Good!! An education is a privilege!! If they don't want it, kick them out and let them pick fruit or kill turkeys with the illegals!!

We are fighting over Healthcare and Education, but my friend from the USSR can't believe the ridiculous wastefullness and whining from our Country!!

In the old USSR the education and Healthcare were free! But, if you didn't make the grade, you got kicked out and plugged into some mundane job!! In the US, we used to hear about how people were picked from birth and made to be certain things, but that was only half true!! They weren't "picked," they were given opportunities and the "fell" to the level that was most suitable for them. The brightest minds and hardest workers got the best positions, the lazy or slow ones got the suitable jobs.

In the US, we have the opposite going on! There is a theory out that people advance to the level just above what they are capable of succeeding at!! In other words, you do a good job, you move up, until you get to a point where you can't excel anymore, you have worked your way past your true skills, but you won't get fired, you will stagnate there and make all your subordinates miserable!!

School is the same way, we force the average students to excel, and we teach to the masses, and we leave behind the gifted students and the slower students! We try to fit people into holes they don't fit into, and then we wonder why other countries are blowing past us in education and innovation??!!

It should say "Late 3 times, stop at Taco Bell and Pick up an App.!"

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grayelf2009
Can you beleive this? What is wrong with this picture .

Nothing is wrong with it. That is from Texas, a place here in America that always votes a hard line Republican, conservative vote. I have lived there myself. In fact they are getting so upset right now, there is talk that they may attempt to secede from the U.S.A! Unfortunately, that is what they want. They like it that way. All of their lawmen follow laws like that. There are more tolerant and shall we say, enlightened places in this country, but they are few and far between, and many times, tolerant means illegal, and that doesn't always vibe with everyone.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
This is why my children attend a private school. To avoid nonsense like this. Public school is nothing more then glorified daycare. If that makes me an "elitist" so be it.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Yesterday Dallas police arrested 60 school age kids that weren't in school during school hours..... The ones they showed being arrested on the news this morning were all either Black or Hispanic.... I grew up in Dallas, skipped school all of the time and was never hassled but I have blond hair and blue eyes and it was over 40 years ago.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DYepes

Good on you. Glad you placed the call. Knowing the law is there is not quite like knowing if the sign is real, so now we know.

In my precursory search, I found laws for Texas, Kentucky and Alabama. I am sure many more states have followed suit.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by hypervigilant

I just skimmed over this realtively long law, since I didn't care to read much more than about the fines issue, but I do remember seeing something about this law doesn't apply to homeless families. Not implying anything with regards to your statement, just found it an interesting aside that I would mention.

<<   2 >>

join