It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catholic Women Marrying Muslims

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I thought this was pretty interesting, I don't think it's been talked about yet. In this article, it says that the vatican urges catholic women to think twice before marrying muslim men. I thought that the pope and the vatican were trying to promote peace, but it seems to me, that it's the opposite way around.
news.yahoo.com.../nm/20040514/ts_nm/pope_muslims_dc

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Its because women usually follow their husbands in choice of religion and the catholic church numbers are dropping as it is. The catholic church is just trying to keep its numbers.

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Something has to be right about Islam if the Pope is telling his women not to marry Muslim men.

This is just crazy. Now it has been confirmed that this war is a war against Islam and her EXPANSION.

Just like the Crusaders were 1,000 years ago.

The majority of converts to Islam are from Christians, especially those of the Catholic sect so I understand why the Pope wants to get rid of Islam.

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I think it is a wise move to warn women about marrying into the religion of Islam. Women should be made aware of all they may be forfeiting in their life. Their rights, their freedom, even their children.
I'm sure we've all heard stories of Muslim men taking their children back to the Midlle eastt, leaving the wife powerless in regard to her children.

The Vatican's top theologian, Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, said earlier this week the West "no longer loves itself" and so was unable to respond to the challenge of Islam, which was growing because it expressed "greater spiritual energy."

Onteresting quote. Christianity no longer satisfies, so Christians are seeking other avenues to fill their spiritual void.

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal
Its because women usually follow their husbands in choice of religion ...

I disagree here. Being Catholic, it is my impression that a woman who marries a non-Catholic agrees to raise her children Catholic.
She does not change to her husbands faith. What would be the point???

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
I disagree here. Being Catholic, it is my impression that a woman who marries a non-Catholic agrees to raise her children Catholic.
She does not change to her husbands faith. What would be the point???

I agree.

A Catholic woman places her religion on the children, not the man.

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 12:27 PM
link   
it's not only Catholics that warn their women about marrying Muslims. Hindus do the same but they include Catholics with the Muslims in their list. And I am sure the Catholic church would oppose their women marrying anyone in any other faith, not just Islam.

In most cultures, the woman accepts the faith of her husband, it is usually only the husband who has a choice to either keep his religion or change to hers.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   
The strange thing is that muslim women are encouraged to only marry muslim men. I guess it changes when its a man.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Not so strange when you think about it. It seems most religions hold their women in less esteem than the men.
Most cultures, too.
I sincerely believe it is because women potentially possess knowledge that men covet. I say potentially, beecause this knowledge has faded through the centuries.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Illmatic67, I really doubt that the Pope believe Islam to be right and thus imposing Catholic women to think twice before marriage.

I think its self-preservation, which occurs in all walks of life.

The Popes a hypocrite !

Deep

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep
The Popes a hypocrite !Deep

Ya think!?!!
Seriously, I think the Pope is the figurehead for the Catholic Church and whoever runs the CC. I could go on about what I think of the CC and Pope's attitude toward women

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 07:08 PM
link   
lol

At his age, im surprise his sense of cognition is fully capable. The mans obviously in no state to lead Catholic followers, and if anything the above remarks prove that his mind is aggitated and confused.

Deep

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Actually, the Bible teaches not to marry outside of your faith... Period.

The idea, is that being married is hard enough, why complicate it with different spiritual paths.

I think it was just a healthy reminder, however unneeded and dumb.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   
As a Catholic, I don't think it's unusual that the Pope would warn us about "thinking twice" about marrying oustide the Church. This would apply to a woman marrying a Baptist, a Methodist, a Mormon, as well as a Moslem. Although interfaith marriages are accepted, the priests usually talk to you about it very seriously.
However, I'm also convinced that the Pope is no longer in full control of his capacities and that the beaurocrats and Cardinals are running around spouting off as they jockey for position upon the death of JP II.
Let's just say : I have some real problems with the Church at this point.
joey

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   
joey:
so, do you find that the RCC thinks women are second class cicitzens.

we see here no mention warning RCC men from marrying Muslim women.

On thing about the post vatican iI church: preVatican II--you could go to any CC and know what to expect at Mass.
Not so, anymore.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Islam is full of double standards (as well as most other religions). Get rid of them all, period.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 09:20 PM
link   
DTOM, yes, I do feel that the Church treats women as second class citizens. To be honest, I'm at loggerheads on this whole subject. On the one hand, I love the old ritual of the Church. On the other hand, I , as a woman, feel as if we are relegated to second class status.
Pre-Vat II, you could walk into any Catholic Church, on earth, and the Mass would be the same. Now, every parish is different. I must admit that I miss the "smells and bells" and I'm not so sure that I want women priests. I know I sound inconsistant, and I am! So much of my Catholicism is from an emotional rather than a logical viewpoint. When I try to apply logical thinking: ie: women are second-class citizens, I become totally confused. I know this isn't really an answer to your question and the reason why I can't answer is quite simply that I'm one confused Catholic, but something keeps me within the faith.
Go figure.
joey

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 11:04 PM
link   
In regards to the gender thing and who changes their religion, its entirely up to the individuals. My mum is islamic and married my dad who was prodestant, dad agreed to convert and raise us islamic. And being islamic our family still enjoyed all the joys of western life like christmas and easter, freedom of speech etc etc . We clebrated christian as well as muslim holidays (the christian for the fun involved not the religious thing). mum is an independant women who doesnt bow down to dad in any way... its all up to the individuals involved, i guess mum was more into her religion than dad was. If i married a catholic i would probably denounce islam if the need be coz i dont particularly believe in any religion so i dont care what ui'm labelled

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
joey:
so, do you find that the RCC thinks women are second class cicitzens.

we see here no mention warning RCC men from marrying Muslim women.

On thing about the post vatican iI church: preVatican II--you could go to any CC and know what to expect at Mass.
Not so, anymore.

its not really a double standard, it has to do with mating tactics. sure you would think that the fact that most people only have one mate would make this kind of thinking obsolete...

just a case of owo vs nwos mercs.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 06:51 PM
link   
BAH! No way!

If I wasn't married, I'd go for a baptist or a Christian...

See the word of God should never be feared.

He is a merciful God, and should be celebrated and rejoiced by the leaders of the churches or ministries.
Hence why I would go for christian or baptist.

I love how the baptists get right into it and throw their hands up and praaaaise! the lord!
Very cool. I love when black women get into it... It's cool.

I'm a catholic thinking of switching to either religion actually... so there's my two pennies.

new topics

top topics

join