It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physicist Proposes Solution to Arrow of Time Paradox

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
A new theory that suggest we don't observe where entropy decreases, because all evidence from these processes is erased when correlations are remove from system.

I get the gist of this concept, but I don't put much into theories of this sort myself, going back in time is not a easy concept to grasp. At least in the physical.

I remember Hawking had the whole thing all messed up some years back with ideal at some point everything would go in reverse.
With intellect I have I knew that would never work, but neverless Hawking had one of his students run the equation several times, all the while the student was sayjng it just won't work.

Possibily this concept is way that will someday lead to grasping, time travel or viewing back in time.

I'm having equiment problems so this best I can do for link right now, I checked I don't think this has been threaded.

Link
www.physorg.com... ( fixed )

[edit on 7-9-2009 by googolplex]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I think hawking was reffering to the big crunch where gravity overwhelms the outward exspansion of the universe. Not a literal reverse of time but a reverse in the expansion of the universe.

When you look at time from a quantum perspective and not a newtonian perspective alot of the paradoxes resolve themselves. The only problem is we can't prove much about the quantum world as we cannot actually measure it. Its all mathematical.

Try to think of it this way. . . We observe 3d cross sections of a 4d space time. . . all time and space exsists at the same time were just not equipped to sense it in a way other than the 3d unidirectional experience.

thinking about time is fun dotcha think

heres another thread talking about the same type of theory

www.abovetopsecret.com...

and the link to its source article

www.newscientist.com...

[edit on 7-9-2009 by constantwonder]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by constantwonder

Acturally when Hawking said this , he was saying everything would go in reverse, not crunch together, This was at least 15 years ago when Hawking was still thinking was closed universe.
He was takling about the milk going back in the glass, you would have to see this one.
This was like hour long program on science channel, I could not believe hut said this, be he did, i gess it would be possible to find program somewhere I will look.
Now he says universe is open, but I have always thought closed with multpile bamgs, many, many, bangs,

Yes I get kick out of thought of going backward or forward in time, but may be it would be easier to go forward and not able to return.
I just thought Ha Ha, any how I ment foward in time at faster than normal speed.

[edit on 7-9-2009 by googolplex]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
This is absolutely great! First off, what is time? You are attempting to bend and manipulate nothing period end of all discussion. How can you travel into the future if the future hasn't happend yet? Great, but stupid and badly mistaken question to ask physicist's on the scale of Einstein, Kaku or Hawking. They have no clue whatsoever and create new BS claims of infinite universes and parallel time warps to whatever that only raise more questions than the simple claim they tried to answer, LOL. Oh, Einstein said by going faster in a rocket ship you can speed up the universe. Wrong agian. Goddarn auto races are ran everyday here, just because your car is faster than mine doesn't mean you have some how sped some # created in who knows what person's mind up. You got to a point faster then I did period. How has that effected anyone in this vast universe? A Question asked along long long time ago and is laughed at by those who know the answer but, sorry to say laugh at those just attempting to figure it out. SAD science.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Actually, I invented a time machine a few years back. When I lay down in it, and close my eyes, I lose track of at least 6-8 hours, in what seems to be an instant, in my perception.

If only I could figure out how to make it take me BACKWARDS in time, I'd be set.

Anyways, back to my bed/time machine.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Mathematically there is no paradox. The distance the arrow travels is a convergent series: (1/2+1/4+1/8+1/16+1/32...)=1

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by RyanLA123
This is absolutely great! First off, what is time? You are attempting to bend and manipulate nothing period end of all discussion. How can you travel into the future if the future hasn't happend yet? Great, but stupid and badly mistaken question to ask physicist's on the scale of Einstein, Kaku or Hawking. They have no clue whatsoever and create new BS claims of infinite universes and parallel time warps to whatever that only raise more questions than the simple claim they tried to answer, LOL. Oh, Einstein said by going faster in a rocket ship you can speed up the universe. Wrong agian. Goddarn auto races are ran everyday here, just because your car is faster than mine doesn't mean you have some how sped some # created in who knows what person's mind up. You got to a point faster then I did period. How has that effected anyone in this vast universe? A Question asked along long long time ago and is laughed at by those who know the answer but, sorry to say laugh at those just attempting to figure it out. SAD science.

Time is 4th dimension, animation, movement, of 3 dimensional object thru 3rd dimension.
It seems we are always traving into the future, and it appears to be unstoppable.
Your closed mind seems to forget that flight was thought impossible, or travel to another planet, the earth was thought flat.
The terms you use are some what, not up to speed ( light speed ) when doing a comparasion to the things as Einstein was speaking of.
Your ingnorace of the subject being spoken of is only apparent, in what you say with the auto race, and if you thought about it, the race could have effect on entire universe, I won't go into details.
With out ever asking the question you will never have the answer.
There will be point all these things are understood, when that would be I can't really say but know it has been, at least once already.

[edit on 8-9-2009 by googolplex]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Hawking talks about everything going backwards in his book A Brief History of Time. That is one part of it I remember. That you would see everything that happened in your life going in reverse - if you dropped something on the floor in this life, you would see it all happen backwards and it would fly up into your hand this time. Walking down the street you'd be walking backwards. The reversal (caused by some particles spinning in opposite directions of what they started) may not happen for a very long time, but if it did it would eventually rewind to this point again. The spin of the particle, what made it matter or antimatter, positron or negative (whatever it's called) had something to do with it as well.

I just read through the book though years ago, don't know that much about Quantum Mechanics.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Novise

Yes thanks for that, alot of people are not aware of this being one Hawking's theory, I just never could see that one working myself.
If there is big crunch, things would go back from last furthers most position, returning in still forward progression of time.
Hawkings reversal, would mean reversal of time, I don't believe it works that way.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by googolplex

I agree with you. I mean when I was in the middle of the book the way he explained it (or built into it) made it seem possible. But objectively and years later, I can't really go along with that theory either. People make him out to be such an authority and maybe he is, then you read theories like that and it gets sort of brainwashing, kind of spooky.

top topics

join