It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Derren Brown to predict lottery results on live TV. How?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Enrikez

If he predicted it a week before: agreed - that would be really something awesome, but he didn't.

Did he delay the viewing...? obviously technically possible but I watched it all live & the draw is on BBC & he was on Channel 4, both were running at exactly the same time in synch, so BBC would have to have been delayed, then re-synched with Channel 4 after a delay.

This would have involved collusion accross different networks & with the lottery company (Camelot). Entirely possible though.

However he made a point of saying there's no delay involved & say or think what you like but in all his stuff before he tends to show how he does it & in my view he's honest about how he does stuff, so I would personally discount the delay option.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Yes agreed, still don't know exactly how it was really done - but it was advertised as a full prediction rather than a revealing of a (supposed) prediction...

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
In all magic there is something that should ring alarm bells. Often it will go unnoticed until the trick is explained to you, at which point one usually says "Oh yeah, I did think that was a bit sus'".

Well, for me the alarm bell is the fact that you could not see the balls. He said that by law the BBC has to reveal the lottery numbers first. Fine, although that doesn't stop DB revealing his numbers, they were not the lottery numbers, just a random guess or whatever they would technically be classed as.

This is like the elephant in the room. The balls people, he should and could have shown the balls from the beginning but he didn't and gave a weak reason not to.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   
He implied that he would show the viewer how to do the trick so it could be very simple. I am still baffled as to how he did it. Predicting the lottery results is impossible so the balls must have changed after the draw. There was no delay. If anything Derren's feed was about a second ahead of mine. Even if there was a delay he couldn't do anything with it.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Enrikez

For someone who thinks this is "SOOOOOOOOO LAAAAAAAAME!" you have given plenty of time to it. I think Derren has got the exact reaction he wanted from you...well done

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 06:29 AM
link   
That was mental, looking forward to Friday to see how it's all done, I don't think it'll be anything to do with lasers or swapping his ball's, but I have no idea and don't want to speculate

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by harpsounds
Higher quality video of it up now!

pause the video at 5.04 - notice that all the balls are in a straight line

let the video run and then notice that the camera stops moving at 5.08 for a second or two (as he is reading the numbers out).

notice that suddenly the very left hand ball is raised slightly - it becomes more obvious when he walks over to them.

either there was camera trickery involved during the time the camera stopped moving briefly or the balls get printed and then turned into position ...39 (the raised ball) being the last number when he turns them round

he also makes a slight odd thumb movement as he turn the stand round

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
It's fake... he never predicted anything. He simply showed us numbers after

they had been announced.

If he was serious about this one he would've written down the numbers long

before the lottery and placed it in a safe with a time lock or something.

It is quite abvious that he either used camera trickery or sleight of hand to

manipulate the balls. Why couldn't he turn them over as the results were being

read?

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Digital Balls! They can be changed to numbers or letters or even different colors! So while the numbers where being read out, they where typing the numbers into the balls through a Laptop ect.

What he should have done is told the public what the numbers where going to be before the draw! THEN we could all go WOW!

The guy would be wrorth Millions if he could do this lol don't ya think! Anyway he's only kidding himself on!

Tsom87

[edit on 10-9-2009 by TSOM87]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by justyc

I mentioned 'alarm bells' earlier. The camera shaking was an alarm bell for me as well, there was no reason to not have it on a still tripod. And the fact that it stops still at the moment you pointed out is a ringer.

So far I'm sus about the balls not being shown:
The reason the balls were not shown.
The camera shaking/jittering.
The camera suddenly being pewrfectly still before the moment of truth.

He gets my respect though. I do think he will give us a red herring of a reason as to how he did it though... maybe tell us he has been monitoring probability and mixing this with numerology/meditation. Can't wait though.

[edit on 10-9-2009 by and14263]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing
It's fake... he never predicted anything. He simply showed us numbers after

they had been announced.

If he was serious about this one he would've written down the numbers long

before the lottery and placed it in a safe with a time lock or something.

It is quite abvious that he either used camera trickery or sleight of hand to

manipulate the balls. Why couldn't he turn them over as the results were being

read?

Of course we know it's fake, even if some people believe in psychic powers, Derren Brown says he doesn't believe in them, and doesn't have them.

Personally I think this is better than the method of putting them in a safe, as there are many things you can buy to do that kind of thing, like:

www.malloymodernmagic.com...

I'm still curious. My prime theory is the camera trickery right now, but I really really hope it's not, and Derren and his team of magical elves are much smarter than me, I bet they came up with a really cool method to do this. I'm looking forward to his reveal. If it's slight of hand, he is a major genius in that area, I watched the video a bunch of times, and in slow motion and never spotted anything.

This is what makes him so great, even people who know a little (and even some of the guys who know a lot like on the magic cafe forum) are pretty much just speculating here...

Derren doesn't mind the speculation either which is cool. A lot of magicians get their panties in a bunch about people guessing, but the whole idea of this trick was that it will be revealed.

Derren has a blog up now linked from his main one, just for theories.

derrenbrownlotteryprediction.wordpress.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8
reply to post by Enrikez

For someone who thinks this is "SOOOOOOOOO LAAAAAAAAME!" you have given plenty of time to it. I think Derren has got the exact reaction he wanted from you...well done

If that reaction was that I would never watch any of his tricks again, congrats to Derren ... Mission accomplished

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Ok Enrikez... because you seem obsessed with trying to tell people your not impressed... HOW DID HE DO IT?

Originally posted by Enrikez
obviously he didn't know the numbers before hand.

If this was the case, the real trick would have been buying a ticket with the predicted numbers and donating the winnings to charity.

He was banned from buying a ticket... next

Enrikez
You have got to be kidding me.

listen to this similarly done 'feat'

Brown tossed a coin showing ten heads in a row to prove it was not impossible, just highly improbable

WOW! How did he do that?

Brown had simply tossed a coin repeatedly until ten heads had come up in a row, taking over nine hours to produce the required film.

Sounds pretty LAME to me

Right so he filmed every possible outcome in one year

14 million outcomes? over 365 days?

38,000 recordings per day

1,583 recordings per hour

26 recordings per minute

Next

Who cares how he did it? It's a set up.

Obviously you. Since you searched for this thread, repeatedly watched the video and tried to come up with other ways to do it.

What if Derren's crew delayed their broadcast to your tv by a second or two? Would this lead you in the right direction, to seeing how lame the trick is?

I watched the lottery on another tv at the exaxt same time... less than a second delay. Next

YOU are obviously upset that YOU cannot work out how he did it without resulting to "cgi".

As for using a non-stationary camera this i assume is to prove that it wasn't a split-screen trick.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by FAQAmerica

Hah, yes, it is interesting how many people who "don't care" have commented around the web. A lot of people do care! Personally I think it's great that he managed to trick me yet again... I love to speculate about it, and try and figure it out, but I don't think anyone yet can truly say they know how it was done, even many of the sites that magicians go on are only guessing right now, and are pretty impressed.

Although I find the split screen/camera trick method highly plausible, I'm not convinced that's the method really.

My reasoning is that if it was, that would kind of destroy it for a lot of people, anytime in the future if they see a trick, they'd just say "Oh, it's just CGI" and not be too interested. Personally I like magic to be something special, anyone could just use camera tricks, but to be a real magician in my opinion they should be doing things that you or I couldn't do, at least not without months or years of practice. Even most stuff that relies on props takes some serious skill. I kind of feel the same way about 'modern art', if it doesn't look like some real effort of skill went into it, I don't really care.

I watched the video again with a friend tonight, and he came up with some ideas that sounded much more like a magicians way. His theory was this:

At the point where he's watching the numbers, he's turned at an angle. He covers his mouth with his left hand, and his right hand isn't really visible. He thinks that this is where the setup is, Derren is pulling the numbers out of his pocket or somewhere, and attaching them somehow to the piece of card he later writes the numbers on. The piece of card has a black backing which seems odd, normally card is the same color all over, or it is just plain brown card, with one side covered in some color. His theory is that the numbers are actually kind of like fridge magnets, and once he's got them prepped on or behind the card somehow, he later by sleight of hand drops them onto the balls. Because of the black clothes, black back of card, and the black backing that would be on the magnetic numbers, and Derrens great sleight of hand skills, he can pull it off.

Personally, I've looked and looked, and can't see the 'drop', but this sounded like a great theory to me. I expect the truth to be much closer to this than CGI, and will be very disappointed if it's just a camera trick.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I think i have this sussed. It appears to me approx 1 foot behind the TV is a fake wall camoflauged up to appear like a flat wall 5-10 feet back. For example look at the TV cable. I believe that is the bottom of the wall (A rather wobbly wall). Right behind the balls on this wall there appears to be a slit. Bear in mind the wall is actually inches away at this point although has been cammed up to look like a wall further back. To back up my claim notice that Derren actually "Squeezes" in bewteen the "Fake" wall and ball stand when he move over to turn around the balls. Why "Squeeze" in if the real wall is 5-10 feet back. He actually makes this movement at the beginning when he is presenting from behind the balls.

The "Slit" is where a stooge or 2 is sat and through the slit putting the numbers on the balls as they come up. I can see it so bad. its just like one of those illusions you have in a book where you have to stare at the picture. I have to try and get a still of this into photoshop so i can draw some pointers on for you guys

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
The stooge with behind a fake wall spray painting on or whatever is probably the most logical way... but i dont think it will be... because... well its Derren Brown... he doesnt like stooges or technology tricks.

I also noticed that when he covers his mouth his right hand is out of shot, i thought maybe he was writing it down... but i can't for the life of me see where he made the switch onto the balls.

Amazing.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I know. im equally impressed by DB all the time when he is on TV. I just personally think the "Wall" is so obvious. Maybe its just me but i can clearly see a fake wall

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by FAQAmerica
he doesnt like stooges or technology tricks.

I've said it once and I'll say it again. The reason he is so successful is because this is what he wants you and everyone else to think.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by FAQAmerica

Infact after further watching I'm alomost certain he uses somesort of trick in which you use a different piece of film for the left side of the footage. You can almost see when it changes from this to how it should be. Hhmm it's late and I'm struggling to explain.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I know exactly what you mean and i think you mean this. This couple of guys already posted a similar theory on youtube. I had this footage saved on sky plus. I just re-ran a few times and this method could be very
accurate

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 10-9-2009 by thesaint]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join