It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Derren Brown to predict lottery results on live TV. How?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
When he goes to walk behind the stand the balls are on he seems to do that very carefully and make himself thin. there is a printer set up behind. But i will prob be prooved wrong on friday.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
When he is watching the tv he has his left hand over his mouth the entire time but in the above video it looks as though his right elbow is moving (see just at his back to the right).

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Higher quality video of it up now!

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
obviously he didn't know the numbers before hand.

If this was the case, the real trick would have been buying a ticket with the predicted numbers and donating the winnings to charity.

Since this wasn't the case, the balls/numbers on the balls were somehow placed there after the drawing.

How he did it doesn't matter because there are a million ways to make it happen. So lame!

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by guest324
reply to post by loner007

I can see what you mean but it's not his style. He doesn't use camera tricks.

He wants you to think he doesn't use camera tricks. The big appeal with DB is the character he has built for himself over the years. He constantly refers to old tricks and associates himself with old masters to emphasise his character. He also talks about the NLP process a lot, again to make the watcher become taken in by his tricks. He's very good at it.

I would suggest that he would use camera tricks and lots of other 'cheap' shots, although this doesn't stop him being a brilliant showman.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enrikez

If this was the case, the real trick would have been buying a ticket with the predicted numbers and donating the winnings to charity.

Since this wasn't the case, the balls/numbers on the balls were somehow placed there after the drawing.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, I have Sky H.D and never took my eyes off that stand and never saw a thing, and switching it was made harder because it wasn't a fixed camera. The printer method, while plausible doesn't add up either, so god knows.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Magicians remained tight-lipped as to how Brown achieved this particular trick.

Graham Harper, of the Nottingham Guild of Magicians, said he was flummoxed by the 'awesome spectacle'.

He said: 'I sat and watched that with three other magicians and none of us can fathom how he pulled that off. Because it's Derren Brown it was expected, but that doesn't detract from the skill.'

Mr Harper ruled out sleight of hand, distraction or TV wizardry. He added: 'This will shock the world of magic.'

Jack Delvin, president of the Magic Circle, said: 'If I did know how he did it, I would not be able to say because the first rule of the Magic Circle is not to tell your secrets. I would be shot, hung, drawn and quartered.

'Derren Brown is not a member of the Magic Circle. We invited him to join but he declined saying that he was not a magician but an illusionist.

'I wish him all the best in all his tricks.'

www.dailymail.co.uk...< br />
Even fellow experts are stunned.

derrenbrown.co.uk...

Due to massive volumes of traffic we have had to take the blog offline, it will return shortly.

Seems he has succeeded in causing quite a stir.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neo-V™

Originally posted by Enrikez

I wouldn't be so sure about that, I have Sky H.D and never took my eyes off that stand and never saw a thing, and switching it was made harder because it wasn't a fixed camera. The printer method, while plausible doesn't add up either, so god knows.

You have got to be kidding me.

listen to this similarly done 'feat'

Brown tossed a coin showing ten heads in a row to prove it was not impossible, just highly improbable

WOW! How did he do that?

Brown had simply tossed a coin repeatedly until ten heads had come up in a row, taking over nine hours to produce the required film.

Sounds pretty LAME to me

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I don't know but my guess (I bet this is wrong!!)

A special type of emulsion painted onto the balls that turns black when hit by a laser, which of course is hidden up high & out of camera shot & as the lottery numbers are drawn, the laser draws the winning numbers into the emulsion on the balls (?)

Other than that I really don't know, I genuinely think it was all done live, I don't think Derren knew the numbers beforehand, therefore in my understanding the numbers had to get onto the balls somehow live & real time as the lottery numbers were picked, all in full view without any obvious interference.

To be honest though this solution is not the typical Derren Brown way to do things; with him it's always, hypnosis, reading body language & powerful persuasion & mis-direction....rather than resorting to electronic gadgets & trickery or camera tricks...so I bet I'm wrong & in that case - I'm stumped & I'll just have to be patient & watch on friday when he reveals his technique.

link   

Originally posted by harpsounds
Ooh, an interesting theory in the comments section on YouTube

"the left side of the screen is held still so someone can be replacing the balls then when they are ready they can unfreeze that section of screen with the new set of balls for derren to magically reveal!!! "

This is an example of that method.

I'd be a little disappointed if that is the method, Brown doesn't normally go for camera tricks, at least, so he claims...

I would have to say this seems the most plausible method that was used.

link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8

Magicians remained tight-lipped as to how Brown achieved this particular trick.

Graham Harper, of the Nottingham Guild of Magicians, said he was flummoxed by the 'awesome spectacle'.

He said: 'I sat and watched that with three other magicians and none of us can fathom how he pulled that off. Because it's Derren Brown it was expected, but that doesn't detract from the skill.'

Mr Harper ruled out sleight of hand, distraction or TV wizardry. He added: 'This will shock the world of magic.'

Jack Delvin, president of the Magic Circle, said: 'If I did know how he did it, I would not be able to say because the first rule of the Magic Circle is not to tell your secrets. I would be shot, hung, drawn and quartered.

'Derren Brown is not a member of the Magic Circle. We invited him to join but he declined saying that he was not a magician but an illusionist.

'I wish him all the best in all his tricks.'

www.dailymail.co.uk...< br />
Even fellow experts are stunned.

derrenbrown.co.uk...

Due to massive volumes of traffic we have had to take the blog offline, it will return shortly.

Seems he has succeeded in causing quite a stir.

LMAO

These guys are all in bed together ... Of course they are going to be all like 'OMFGZ!!! How'd he do that? I feel like such a n00b now, compared to Derrenz!!!"

And then when these guys do their next trick Derren is all like "ZOMG WIN!!! I'm teh pwnd n00b now!!1eleven!!"

Let me tell you a trick:

I'll give you a deck of cards, tell you to take one out and show it to me. Then I'll tell you to look behind a framed picture of your mother and guess what POW!!! There's your card!

How'd I do that? Well, there's a million ways to do it. Derren Brown would probably hide 52 cards all over your house in interesting places and depending on what card you chose, direct you to that location. here ya go.

Ace of spades? Page 499 of 'Paradise lost', third shelf of your bookshelf

5 of diamonds? Check the gas cap of you car

King of hearts? Your underwear drawer, right next to your tinfoil hat.

Lottery numbers? shown AFTER the draw?! Puleeze lol.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Enrikez

so how does that work with the lottery results?
so he hid every single one of all the billion different number combinations for ALL lottery results pre-printed onto balls & ... oh...no...hang on a minute....the balls were in full view at all times & were not touched & nobody came near them at any point....

...other than that - you bet the solution is lame once you know it - but you don't actually know what it is right now do you?

edit: & there was only ever 1 set of balls (not 52)(not 500Billion)

[edit on 9/9/2009 by moobaawoof]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by moobaawoof
reply to post by Enrikez

so how does that work with the lottery results?
so he hid every single one of all the billion different number combinations for ALL lottery results pre-printed onto balls & ... oh...no...hang on a minute....the balls were in full view at all times & were not touched & nobody came near them at any point....

...other than that - you bet the solution is lame once you know it - but you don't actually know what it is right now do you?

edit: & there was only ever 1 set of balls (not 52)(not 500Billion)

[edit on 9/9/2009 by moobaawoof]

Do I know what it is now? No, neither do I care. It's lame.

You do not know how many sets of balls there were. You do not know anything about the setup of the 'trick'. All you know is that Derren Brown can select the lottery numbers AFTER they are drawn. Wow, I wonder how he knew?

Who cares how he did it? It's a set up.

Perceptive distance, camera tricks, technology, sleight of hand, mirrors, fake boxes, fake balls, tape delay could be a million different things ... Doesn't matter, as it's lame.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
If he had shown these numbers, the correctly predicted ones, before the draw...then we would have something interesting to talk about.

I do like Derren... i find his shows very interesting and very entertaining.

But he did NOT Predict the lottery results...

He showed his choices after the draw.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Enrikez

true enough & it will be lame once revealed....but i'm still interested to know how he did it...

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
If he had shown these numbers, the correctly predicted ones, before the draw...then we would have something interesting to talk about.

I do like Derren... i find his shows very interesting and very entertaining.

But he did NOT Predict the lottery results...

He showed his choices after the draw.

Now this would be a great and compelling trick.

Unfortunately, this was not the trick we saw. What we saw was a hidden way to place balls in front of the viewer without them seeing how you did it.

Not a good trick.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Yes well said, clearly no prediction made before the draw - but it's got me stumped as to exactly how...

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   

reply to post by Enrikez

true enough & it will be lame once revealed....but i'm still interested to know how he did it...

Meh, personally I couldn't care less how he did it.

Now, if he had announced the numbers a week ago, and they turned up that would be something. Because then we could be sure that the lottery wasn't set-up, as that would be highly illegal and we would be left scratching our heads as to how he did that.

This way, it's really just a technological sleight of hand trick. Not really interesting at all.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   

reply to post by blupblup

Yes well said, clearly no prediction made before the draw - but it's got me stumped as to exactly how...

What if Derren's crew delayed their broadcast to your tv by a second or two? Would this lead you in the right direction, to seeing how lame the trick is?

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
It's a trick in itself as to how the numbers appeared to be there the whole time... and will be interesting to see how on friday.

but i was kinda disappointed at the show actually.

I expected an actual prediction

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join