It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Derren Brown to predict lottery results on live TV. How?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Derren Brown has a new show starting this week, called The Events, you can watch him explain and read more general stuff about the show at his blog...

derrenbrown.co.uk...

The first thing he is planning to do is predict the lottery results on Wednesday night. He will have a live show and announce them before the official BBC results show.

I have a method for the trick I believe he will use.

I suspect that the BBC results show is not the first place you can find out the results, I suspect that you can get them earlier either from retailers or via ceefax (a text service you can get for some UK TV channels)

I have extra reason to suspect this is his method now, as I posted it on his blog, and it was never approved, yet my next comment saying;

"Aha! My last comment said it is \”awaiting moderation\”. This leads me to believe that it is not going to be any of the methods discussed so far in these comments sections. I doubt he would allow the real method to be discussed on these pages if someone had sniffed it out early!"

was allowed through...

derrenbrown.co.uk...

I'd love to know what other people come up with, some other people on his blog have mentioned very similar things, and been allowed through, so I wonder...

With Derren, it's very rarely the technique you think it will be, or even the one he tells you it was...

How do you think he is going to do this?

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I think it will ultimately be dissapointing like the last of his stunts, after the Russian roulette one I lost interest in him. I would bet the stunt will be after the ticket line closes then he will probably get Camelot to do the draw earlier and give him the nod, is just a big publicity stunt for stuttering lottery sales and Derren himself.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by On the level
I think it will ultimately be dissapointing like the last of his stunts, after the Russian roulette one I lost interest in him.

Well you've certainly missed out there mate- he's done some of his best work since then.
Try and track down 'Evening of Wonders' -its very good.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Darrin Brown is epic, and he openly admits he is no savior, or psychic or mystic. So ultimately the answer will be bland.

But I am sure it wont involve getting the numbers slightly early, thats just lame. Why not do the show in the morning, and hear the results at night?

If he nails all the numbers then he's done something lame, if he gets a few right then hes gotten lucky. There are many ways to make more informed choices while playing the lottery, but require a lot of software to track all the past winners and trends and hot and cold numbers.

Regardless, it will be interesting.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by king9072
If he nails all the numbers then he's done something lame, if he gets a few right then hes gotten lucky. There are many ways to make more informed choices while playing the lottery, but require a lot of software to track all the past winners and trends and hot and cold numbers.

If I understand you here, I think you're falling into the classic gamblers fallacy. Just because the number 41 (for example) has been picked out more times, that does nothing to effect the odds next time. Even if 41 came out as a number 10000 weeks in a row, it would still have the same odds.

No computer software can help you in this regard.

Now, perhaps the kind of thing you are hinting at, is if you track the machines, and the sets of balls, perhaps tiny imperfections in the balls/machines might effect the odds very slightly, but I don't believe it's to a level where you could ever use that to your advantage.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 7-9-2009 by harpsounds]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12

Originally posted by On the level
I think it will ultimately be dissapointing like the last of his stunts, after the Russian roulette one I lost interest in him.

Well you've certainly missed out there mate- he's done some of his best work since then.
Try and track down 'Evening of Wonders' -its very good.

I kind of agree here with both sides, I see him more as hit and miss. I found the russian roulette a bit boring myself, but many of his other stunts/tricks I've loved.

For me, he's still interesting and entertaining much more often than he is boring or disappointing.

Evening of wonders is still available on 4od, I think I might have missed that one, I'm gonna give it a look now.

Evening of Wonders

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by harpsounds
How do you think he is going to do this?

By being told the results before the BBC show starts. That's the ONLY way he'll be able to do it.

I've never really understood why people find this guy interesting. Personally, I don't like being lied to.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by On the level

mabey he is an alien and has mastered time travel
not, this is just dumb

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by harpsounds

Originally posted by king9072

If I understand you here, I think you're falling into the classic gamblers fallacy. Just because the number 41 (for example) has been picked out more times, that does nothing to effect the odds next time. Even if 41 came out as a number 10000 weeks in a row, it would still have the same odds.

No computer software can help you in this regard.

Now, perhaps the kind of thing you are hinting at, is if you track the machines, and the sets of balls, perhaps tiny imperfections in the balls/machines might effect the odds very slightly, but I don't believe it's to a level where you could ever use that to your advantage.

en.wikipedia.org...

Mathematical odds tell us that every single time that a draw is done, the odds are always the same. Technically, the exact same numbers could be picked twice in a row, but it's unlikely. Just like a lottery could draw every day for thousands of years and never have the same winning numbers.

But, for the people who are into playing the lottery professionally, they have noticed that there are definitely ways to increase your edge. As you speculated, I guess the effects on the balls over time could become a contributing factor.

Regardless, these people have compiled all known lottery draws on the planet (all results are publicly available, and most are online) and they notice that trends appear.

At the end of the day though, I am not one of these people, and I do not waste my time playing the lottery. But there are apparently ways to improve your odds, but I think it's still an amazingly huge long shot.

7 numbers, of 1-49 gives odd's of 1:86,000,000.

OR, in other words, it would take you 1.6 million years for your lucky numbers to hit playing them once a week.

Or if you could figure out a way to play every single day, 365, you're looking at a wait of about 236,000 years.

GOOD LUCK

Thats why even if Darren Brown is able to correctly pick a few winning numbers its still impressive. And if he knocks it out of the park and gets them all, he's definitely doing something lame.

On a side note, I think it was in australia, a guy hired I think 20 retailers to constantly print tickets attempting to cover absolutely every possible combination cause the win was huge.

For some reason a few stores were unable to print tickets at the critical moment, and he was only able to cover I think 60-70% of the possible combinations. But he still won
That's the only way to win the lottery, playing every combination - or a #load of them

[edit on 7-9-2009 by king9072]

[edit on 7-9-2009 by king9072]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by FightThePower

If he has mastered time travel then I can think of a better way to use it rather than winning 3 million on the lottery
Hopefully he can go back to when there was quality tv on and get some tips

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
It's on in like an hour. Human nature dictates that some number combination's are far less likely to get picked so if they won then the jackpot would be bigger but I don't see how there is any way some combination's would be any more likely than any others. I hope that it's not something rubbish like a delayed feed. And BTW if he did it in the morning then everyone would buy tickets for the numbers he predicted.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I'm getting pretty curious now, only a few minutes to go, I really wonder how it's going to be done. I will be a little disappointed if he has written them down in advance, and opens an envelope or something after BBC shows the results, or if it's just one of the simple methods I have been guessing at.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Well if he gets the numbers right i for one will not be buying anymore lottery tickets it will prove its not random and camelot and good causes will lose millions in revenue, my guess is he will get one or two right down to luck like the rest of us.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
He can't show us the balls until the numbers have been announced by the BBC. Well, hmmm.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
May God have mercy on us all

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Well what can i say .... he got all six .... how?
second line

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Awesome, he got them all! All my guesses on how he was going to do it were wrong, the lotto website/ceefax didn't have the numbers before, it seemed truly live.

The stand he had the numbers on didn't look like some easily manipulated prop, so I am REALLY REALLY curious now!

link   
HOW, HOW, HOW did he just do that?

link   
all 6 numbers correct

how?

balls in display at all times

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
OMG. The only way I can see that this would be possible is if someone tampered with his guess after the numbers had been announced.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join