It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Japan leaders vow 25 percent cut in emissions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Personally I think this a good thing... I'm not for a carbon tax. We here in the US should be doing our part. I don't understand why some people get so emotional over cleaning up the planet. If anything we can all breath easier knowing what we are breathing is clean.

There is no doubt the US is headed for a green economy it's just a matter of time. Instead of reciting this we should be embracing the change IMO. There are whole fields of science and possibly new industry that needs to be explored considering the state of the economy. I applaud anything that may help our financial situation long term.

TOKYO — Japan's incoming prime minister promised Monday to aim for a 25 percent reduction in greenhouse gas emissions by 2020 — among the most ambitious cuts proposed by an economic power and significantly more aggressive than the current plan.

The reduction, which will be measured from 1990 levels, was immediately hailed by environmentalists, who are watching target proposals closely ahead of a major international climate conference in December. Prime Minister Taro Aso's current plan was to cut emissions by about 8 percent.

"Japan's change in government will bring a major shift to our climate change policies, through international negotiations for the future of human society, and I want to begin in a way that is said to have made a major contribution," said Yukio Hatoyama, who is widely expected to be named prime minister next week when parliament meets to choose Aso's successor.

[edit on 7-9-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
It isn't about global warming, and shouldn't be.

Nothing wrong with cleaner air though. For those of you who say pollution is a joke, take a trip to Los Angeles and then head up north for the mountains.

Or what about some cities over in China where people wear gas masks?

I have heard stories of friends who play sports and go to heavily polluted cities, and get sick from it.

Lets see how they go about in doing this though.

I can say I will eliminate 50% of crime...by turning such a country into a dictatorship. Now I know that isn't the case here in literal terms, but let us wait and see how this actually happens. 11 years to do such a thing seems quite a bit of time...but I do not know exact information or the plans.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I hear ya. I was born and raised in LA... coming back over the mountains and viewing the city from there made me sick.

I forgot the story link
New Japan leaders vow 25 percent cut in emissions

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
i agree we as a species should really embrace reducing the amount of pollution we create.

pollution has a tendency of making us, and those around us sick.

it is too bad ACC hi-jacked the issue in such a major way, it has really turned a lot of otherwise caring people off.

i do hope the usa chooses to follow suit.

cheers.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I believe we do need to look after our planet. But to what extreme seems to be the question? If we over-focus on a cleaner environment will we still be able to compete with countries that don't care about the environment or their people?

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
If we over-focus on a cleaner environment will we still be able to compete with countries that don't care about the environment or their people?

Funny. If we don't eventually it wont matter.

It all comes from and goes to the Earth mate.

If we don't 'maintain' it it wont 'maintain' us.

top topics

join