It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ahmadinejad defiant as nuclear watchdog chief laments 'stalemate'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
A nuclear Iran....

OK I think we can deal with that. They have a legal right to do what they want within their borders. BUT and that's a huge but. They need to comply with IAEA wishes. If they have nothing to hide then why HIDE?????

Ahmadinejad defiant as nuclear watchdog chief laments 'stalemate'

Neither President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad nor International Atomic Energy Agency chief Mohamed ElBaradei broke new ground in their remarks. But as the United Nations General Assembly prepares to convene this month, their statements suggest no solution on the horizon for an issue that has divided the U.N. Security Council and shaken the region.

Answering reporters' questions at his first major press conference in Tehran since the approval of his Cabinet last week, a boastful and confident Ahmadinejad offered no new olive branches as the West prepares to try to increase pressure on Iran, though he said Iran was open to "discussions and debates" in the presence of mass media.

He dismissed threats of sanctions or war as a way of pressuring Iran.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

There was a movement/suggestion , that all enrichment should be centralised with signatories of NNPT applying for a license to receive the fuel for civil nuclear power generation.

Even handedness should also be seen to be applied ..... however ....

Could you see International Atomic Energy Agency chief Mohamed ElBaradei standing outside the gate at Dimona , clipboard in hand ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by UmbraSumus
Could you see International Atomic Energy Agency chief Mohamed ElBaradei standing outside the gate at Dimona , clipboard in hand ?

That was funny.

Seriously though...

If they have nothing to hide then why HIDE? I mean come on what the deal with that? All major nuclear powers have no issues opening their nuclear power facilities to inspectors but Iran who claims they are making a peaceful program is all secretive. It makes one wonder what really is going on there.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   

I hear ya` Slayer .

They probably do have something to hide , to what extent is anybody`s guess.

I recently saw some former Israeli military advisor stating to the effect ..."Iran would be crazy if they were not attempting to develop a nuclear weapon" .

Like any sane citizen of Earth i loath Nuclear weapons but they certainly offer some protection ... well at least against nuclear attacks .

Conventional attacks countered with a Nuclear strike, thats a No-No right ?

Though i recall Russian stating that it reserved the right to use a Nuclear counter strike against a conventional attack . Which was a thinly veiled admission of how dilapidated their conventional forces have become since the cold war.

edit:typo

[edit on 7-9-2009 by UmbraSumus]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

If they stopped being so damned secretive I think the tension in the middle east would drop for a bit. Until the next crises of course.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

If they stopped being so damned secretive I think the tension in the middle east would drop for a bit. Until the next crises of course.

I know but who then would one blame ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can`t blame Iranians for being a little bit suspicious of "The West" considering the history of meddling in their affairs . A cursory glance at a map shows an ever encroaching U.S presence ..... a little unnerving i can imagine.

Looks like Chavez will provide them with refined oil should an embargo be applied .

"Venezuela has agreed to export 20,000 barrels of petrol daily to Iran from October in a deal worth 800 million dollars," Chavez told reporters in the northeastern city of Mashhad, local media reported.

source

Has the makings of another flash point in the gulf .

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Oh brother you really are naive if you think the US and other major powers gives the UN full reign of inspection access to all their nuclear facilities and nuclear weapons facilities. Iran is a sovereign country. The UN nor anyone else has no f'ing business poking their nose in their business. Until Iran launches a nuclear weapon or missile another country and the US and the west can say we told you so..........it shouldn't matter what they do. Is the UN going to police the world? The US causes more havoc and destruction than any other country on Earth. The British have wreaked more havoc and plundered and pillaged more countries than any nuclear armed Iran could ever think of destroying. F the UN! Maybe Americans needs to start worrying less about those big bad terrorists and nuclear armed Iran and start worrying about all the drugs their kids and citizens are using and that are flowing across the border day in and day out. Plus even if Iran builds a nuclear weapon it's not like it would be able to hit the US anytime soon. They have a hard on for Israel. Let the two countries worry about each other. You get between two men in a knife fight you're likely to get cut.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Iran ian missiles could hit Europe in 3 to 4 years, Israeli expert says

Israel's former missile defense chief says Iran could strike Europe with ballistic missiles in as little as three years. "If they push it -- put all the budget, put all the engineers -- three or four years" is all Iran would need, Uzi Rubin said Thursday at a conference in Huntsville, Ala. Rubin's time line could put greater pressure on the U.S. as it seeks a diplomatic solution to the issue of missile defenses in Eastern Europe. Reuters (08/20)

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Iran ian missiles could hit Europe in 3 to 4 years, Israeli expert says

Israel's former missile defense chief says Iran could strike Europe with ballistic missiles in as little as three years. "If they push it -- put all the budget, put all the engineers -- three or four years" is all Iran would need, Uzi Rubin said Thursday at a conference in Huntsville, Ala. Rubin's time line could put greater pressure on the U.S. as it seeks a diplomatic solution to the issue of missile defenses in Eastern Europe. Reuters (08/20)

I personally don`t buy into that theory . I think Iran's concerns are much closer to home and are of a defensive nature. As a European myself , albeit one clinging safely to the Atlantic seaboard , i am not swayed by the former Israeli missile chiefs scaremongering.
To attack a European state(s) would draw the whole E.U upon Iran, in a rare act of harmonised foreign policy. I don`t think they would risk it IMHO.

If they do/can develop a nuclear device , it will be to deter an Israeli threat .
But to be perfectly honest i`m undecided as to whether an Iranian bomb will balance out a large element of the power struggle in the region .It could just as easily send the region into a nuclear arms race.

It all hinges on whether you believe Iran would try and nuke Israel . I think the device is more powerful brandished as a threat rather than detonated . Not to mention the fact that the Israelis response would be 100 fold .

Israel's covert nuclear program has undoubtedly destabilised the region and it remains as a continuous reminder of the hypocrisy in dealing with the NNPT signatory Iran. All the while turning a blind eye to an allies "plausible deniability".

If an Iranian equivalent of whistleblower Mordechai Vanunu surfaced tomorrow ....... well you know exactly what would happen .

edit:typo

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   

I'm not sure he was saying that they would. However it may demonstrate the distances they are capable of reaching though.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Because they are making nuclear weapons and don't want their processing bombed back to the stone age before they can complete some bombs.

When people refuse to be open their is clearly something they are hiding.

It is no secret, except for those who close their eyes, cover their ears and say "I don't hear it" over and over again.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

Iran denies nuclear talks offer

An Iranian official has denied he said Tehran was ready for talks with the West on its nuclear programme based on mutual respect and without conditions.

State television had earlier reported that Ali Asghar Soltanieh, Iran's envoy to the UN's nuclear watchdog, had announced its willingness to negotiate.

"There have been no comments or interviews with TV networks on nuclear talks or conditions," he later said.

Iran has been given until September to end its uranium enrichment programme.

Otherwise it faces tougher sanctions. The West suspects Iran is secretly trying to build nuclear weapons, while Tehran insists its programme is solely peaceful.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Iranian Invites Six Powers To Tehran

TEHRAN, Sept. 7 -- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on Monday invited representatives from a group of six world powers, including the United States, to Tehran, but he said negotiations over his country's right to a nuclear program would be off the table.

Discussion on the nuclear issue, he told reporters at a news conference, is "finished."

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
When it comes to international inspections sometimes its not just the nations being inspected that have something to hide but the inspectors too:

The South Florida Munch received this news yesterday (August 18) from Master Z in Chicago. Please take a moment to read about Jack McGeorge. His death has saddened the national BDSM community. An obituary can be found at www.leatheryenta.com...

It is with the saddest heart that I must inform all of our Leather SINS Family that an icon in the BDSM Community, Jack McGeorge has died during heart surgery this morning in Charlottesville, VA.

Jack was a past Presenter at our Events and was scheduled to teach at Kinky Kollege next month.

Jack was a founding member of Black Rose and Emeritus Member of its Board of Directors. Previously he served Black Rose in several capacities including Chairman of the Board, President, Secretary and Co-chair for BR10. He was also an Emeritus Member of the LLC, Inc. Board and served as its Vice Chairman and Treasurer as well as Co-chair for LLC2000. Jack was the first Chairman of the Board of National Coalition for Sexual Freedom (NCSF). Jack and his slave raven were the North East Regional Master and slave for 2005.

Jack was the recipient of several awards including: the Man Of The Year Award (2004) and two Community Service Awards (2000 and 1998) from the Pantheon of Leather; the Pat Bond Community Service Award from TES (2003); both the Elder Award (2000) and the Vaughn Keith National Education Award (1998) from Black Rose and the Centurion Award (2000) from Joseph Bean and the Leather Archives and Museum. He was also the first to be designated an Anthony DeBlase Professor of the Arts and Letters of S/M (1999) by Leather University. 

Jack McGeorge was the United Nations Weapons Inspector and Operations Officer in Iraq.

Master McGeorge is survived by his slaves justin and elizabeth. He was 59 years old. Wake and Funeral arrangements will follow as they become available.

This is truly a sad day for the entire BDSM Community.

Funeral Arrangements for Jack McGeorge are as follows:

Service Sunday, August 23, 2009 7PM
Mountcastle Funeral Home
4143 Dale Blvd.
Dale City, VA 22193

Please, no flowers.Times have been hard for many, including Jack and his
family. If you would like to send a donation to help, you can do so by
sending a check or money order to:

Justin Tanis
8750 Georgia Ave Apt 131A
Silver Spring, MD 20910

There will also be a basket at the service if you would like to place a
donation there.

Jack's wishes were that the community be able to attend his funeral
service. It is our hope that those of you who can attend do.

A Leather family Memorial Service will take place on Saturday, August
29th at 2pm at the Crucible

When you look at just how wrong the International Inspectors and Intelligence Agencies were in the case of Iraq, you would have to be stone cold crazy to submit to that process.

After all most of the people engaged in the process are stone cold crazy too!

new topics

top topics

join