It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists hail breakthrough in Alzheimer's research

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
www.rawstory.com...

Scientists working in seven countries announced on Sunday they had uncovered variants of three genes which play a role in Alzheimer's, a discovery that should throw open many new avenues for tackling this tragic, mind-killing disease.

Wonderful news! My mother suffered from Alzheimers for 2 years before she died and it was the saddest time for both her and myself to see a bright, articulate woman to become so childlike that she needed constant care.

[edit on 7-9-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Indeed this is wonderful news. My granddad had it too for about 7 years before he died earlier this year. It is very sad to see someone you love turn into a shell of their former selves. I hope this pans out because there are alot of people that are suffering. The odd thing for my granddad was that he would get sooooo much worse at night and during the day sometimes he would get a moment of clarity but before you know it he would lose the clarity and be right back to where he was. The saddest part was when he forgot Michigan, something he held very dear, where he grew up. Star and flag for you and thanks for sharing this with us.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by freeyourmind1111

Another wonderful orginization to help the caregivers cope with the stress.

www.healthcentral.com...

Even so I needed some serious therapy after my mother died to deal with my depression caused by her alzheimers.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Thanks for sharing this. I do appreciate it. I'm sure I'll probably need some counseling as well because I find myself completely avoiding dealing with his passing and my grandmas passing who died 4 days before him. Crazy how life works sometimes.

new topics

top topics

join